1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Convert XM to Sirius

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mtnears, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Mar 21, 2012 at 2:26 PM
    mtnears

mtnears [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Georgetown, CA
    2010 Tacoma with the JBL system, has XM Satellite receiver. I have a lifetime Sirius subscription I'd love to transfer to this truck, but because it is an XM radio they can't do it. Is it possible to switch to the Sirius tuner by plugging in the other brain, and if so, would I need a different antenna or can I just do this as a plug and play sort of thing?

Anyone done this and have it documented somewhere, I've been searching and have had no luck so far...

2. Mar 21, 2012 at 2:33 PM
    1GR

1GR Toyota Dealer Technician

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport
    Fairly certain that a Sirius is not compatible with the stock radio unit. If it is, it would be tricky to wire in and make it work with the stock head unit. Better to go with an aftermarket unit that is equipped or compatible with Sirius. They can wire the current antenna to fit into the unit.

3. Mar 21, 2012 at 2:37 PM
    IGO4LOW

IGO4LOW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Fullerton, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4 w/ JBL Audio
    3" Procomp lift, 285/70 R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on Procomp series 6005 wheels, Fog lights on Anytime mod, illuminated oem fog switch, bed mat, all weather floormats, CB Radio in dash, alternating turn signal mod, automatic center console light. Blacked out badges, D2s in the grille.
    I thought sirius and xm merged?

4. Mar 21, 2012 at 2:38 PM
    1GR

1GR Toyota Dealer Technician

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport
    Could be the case, but they could still be running them as separate companies. Most likely to keep the company more profitable as a whole.

5. Mar 21, 2012 at 2:41 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    First off - Welcome to TW!

Check with Sirius before you waste your time doing anything else. I have lifetime and I am able to switch what unit it goes to 3 times before I need to buy another subscription. Sirius and XM are the same so I don't see why they can't transfer yours. Luckily I locked in when they first came out 10 years ago so I paid next to nothing for my lifetime. Since then the rules have changed and the price has doubled. I am currently on my second unit because the first one imploded after 5 years. After this one blows up I only get to buy one more.

Good luck!

6. Mar 21, 2012 at 2:41 PM
    IGO4LOW

IGO4LOW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Fullerton, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4 w/ JBL Audio
    3" Procomp lift, 285/70 R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on Procomp series 6005 wheels, Fog lights on Anytime mod, illuminated oem fog switch, bed mat, all weather floormats, CB Radio in dash, alternating turn signal mod, automatic center console light. Blacked out badges, D2s in the grille.
    I'm 99% certain my truck is sirius. Because when my sat subscription ended I got letters from sirius (not xm) to renew it. I will check for sure when I get home and confirm.

7. Mar 21, 2012 at 2:57 PM
    mtnears

mtnears [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Georgetown, CA
    I did check with Sirius already. I have two lifetime subscriptions, transferred one to our Jeep that has a Sirius radio no problem. Can't transfer the other one though, has to go to a Sirius unit. I thought it was strange too, but have been told this on several occasions, they are not completely merged.

I'm trying to keep the setup factory so I was hoping I could just add it. Maybe I can switch to a non-xm head unit and add the Sirius module? It is not sounding promising though.

8. Mar 21, 2012 at 3:12 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    I'm not good at wiring so I did not look to add anything to my stock head unit, but we have some gurus in here that can comment better then I can about doing that specifically.

I chose to get a cheap aftermarket head unit and ran my current set up to it. Then sell your original head unit on here to recoup the cost. I wanted my Sportster in my truck and also needed a pre-amp output for my amp/sub so that's what I did.

9. Mar 21, 2012 at 3:17 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    The company is called SiriusXM since Sirius bought XM, which is why a bill could have the word Sirius on it. You can still pick "Sirius" or "XM" although I think they generally offer the same content. I even think they changed the channel numbers to make them pretty much the same. And some stuff not normally on XM like Stern you can get anyway with the Best of Sirius package add on or whatever. Even though it would be a monopoly(which it already essentially is anyways) they should just have one service kind of dumb having both that offer generally the same channels.

10. Mar 21, 2012 at 3:44 PM
    Jomama

Jomama Active Member

Member:
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    2008 Dbl Cab/LB 4x4 SR5
    Part of your problem is that the pre-merge hardware of each company was not compatible with the other companies signal... Thats why some of the content remains separated, they are still broadcasting using both companies technologies afaik..

11. Mar 21, 2012 at 3:52 PM
    dfrugia

dfrugia Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Goose
    Roswell, NM
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD OFF RD 4X4
    Running boards w/steps, Weathertechs
    Same thing with mine. They canceled the Sirius and applied the balance to xm.

Products Discussed in

To Top