1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Convince me to not trade for a cherokee

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by maximilian55, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Mar 25, 2013 at 2:04 PM
    ffdawson

ffdawson Adventurer

Member:
    Penngrove
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Rugged Trail 6spd
    Fox Racing Shox 2.5 coilovers, Desert Racing Products UCAs, Fox 2.0's, OME Dakar's, BAMF Rock Sliders w/ kickout, All Pro Rear Bumper w/ Yotaman swing out, 1 1/4 Spidertraxx spacers, Goodyear Wrangler MTR's 285/75/16, Optima Red Top, Morimoto Ind. 32" LED Bar, 20% tint, Ipod direct hookup, Diff Breather mod, BHLM, SnugTop Shell, Yakima Racks, WeatherTech's, BajaRack Utility Roof Rack, Tepui RTT, RCI Skid,
    Easy. Keep your taco for DD and mellow off road... buy stock jeep cheap and slowly build into a gnar trail rig. That way you can have the best of both worlds.

but def. keep the tacoma...

2. Mar 25, 2013 at 3:27 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & '79 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Keep the truck, trust me; you won't regret it. You still got an easy 200 or 300k left on that motor you take care of it. I've drove Jeeps in the past, they are fun and all, but Jeep didn't get the slang "Just Empty Every Pocket" for no reason. Drive your Toyota and continue enjoying low maintenance.

3. Mar 25, 2013 at 7:33 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    The newer Cherokees (not Grand Cherokees) come with a solid drivetrain, and an easily upgraded suspension. The weak link is the rear axle. From what I've heard and seen, the Tacomas seem to have stronger rear axles. Other than that, mechanically, the Jeep should be fine. Do take into account that it's going to be at least 12 years old, the last year was 2001.

A buddy of mine has a 95 Grand Cherokee. He has about 120K on it, 318 V8, automatic, full time 4wheel drive. About half than mileage has been lifted, first with 31s, then 33s. He beats the snot out of it in the sand dunes. Not much rockcrawling, but it has been out a couple of times. The transmission is on the way out, that is the common problem on the Grands. The regular Cherokee has a better trans in it, and most feel the transfercase is better as well. Edit: The Chrysler 8.25 rear end in the Cherokee is also considered better than the Dana 35 in the Grand.

As far as the little, non drivetrain problems, I haven't seen it happen with my buddie's Heep.

Try to get a 97-01, they are a bit more modern, and think they were the best wagon Jeep made. A street driven one isn't going to have much trouble, even lifted. Expect to need a regear with big tires though.

If you wanted something to wheel hard, a Cherokee is a good starting point to build up, and when you wreck it, you just go get another $4k Cherokee and swap your parts over. Can't do that with a Taco.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  4. Mar 25, 2013 at 7:35 PM
    lotsoftoys

lotsoftoys pavement is boring....

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    98 lifted panda taco
    bunch of crap
    cause its a heep. nuff said

5. Mar 25, 2013 at 7:40 PM
    maximilian55

maximilian55 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    washington
    Vehicle:
    04 Reg Cab 2.7l
    Ya and as a highschooler i do not have the money to drop on a rig. My friend has been telling me about all the random things he is going to have to upgrade to lift his jeep.

I plan to keep my tacoma for now, its the best option money wise. maybe in the future when i have more cash, ill buy a cherokee and make it a gnarly trail rig.

6. Mar 25, 2013 at 8:04 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Buddy had one where the roof rusted out... in Los fucking Angeles!

Dealer's body shop replaced it 4 times, Heep ended up buying it back just over 3 years old and he used the cash to buy a 4-Runner.

7. Mar 25, 2013 at 11:37 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & '79 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Good choice, I had (still have it) a CJ5 in high school, one of the funnest rigs ever, but man it was a moneypit to me in high school. I learned how to work on things because of that Jeep, never had the money to pay a mechanic. I drive it now and then, but my Taco is my bonefied daily driver, it has never hiccuped or given me any headaches in 40 thousand miles.

To Top