1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

coolant question

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by 08pretaco, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Dec 6, 2009 at 10:48 AM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter

Glad to hear you were able to buy the coolant for $15.

2. Dec 6, 2009 at 5:27 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    25 bucks is ridiculous

3. Dec 15, 2009 at 4:34 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    weird weird i know but i took it to the dealer today to have them pressure check my coolant stuff and they did. the radiator cap seal was bad and wasnt keeping pressure. when they tested it they said it was at something like 8psi.

so 2 questions:
    1) whats the standard pressure for the system?
    2) would fixing that make my truck run smoother?

only reason i ask #2 is because it feels better to me when driving it but it might just be because i was in a good mood haha

4. Dec 20, 2009 at 2:49 PM
    humtaco

humtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    It's important to check the radiator fluid level on occasion by taking off the cap. If the radiator isn't full enough it won't be able to get a siphon going to draw fluid from the reservoir. You may think everything is OK because you see a good level in the reservoir when in fact the radiator itself may be low.

-or-

Checking the reservoir itself when the engine is hot and when its cold to note if the level is changing will also work. If you have a handle on the changes at the reservoir you don't really need to pull the cap.

5. Dec 20, 2009 at 2:57 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Like I didn't know that already?
    Some cars have a cover over your radiator cap, so that may not always be possible. If your truck is running good on temp, then it should be fine. You can't cover everything on every post you post.

6. Dec 20, 2009 at 3:19 PM
    humtaco

Member:
    Well you didn't seem so sure of yourself here:
    "If I remember right, when your coolant is hot it will push some of the fluid into the reservoir, and when it cool's off it will bring it back into the radiator. So this is why it changes." :)

Actually I just quoted your post because it was an informative post. I just wanted to add clarity for non-mechanic types who read these threads.

7. Dec 20, 2009 at 3:26 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Yes I didn't remember 100%, but I was sure I was right.
    I thank you for saying it is informative, and I think your post was also informative.
    Its just when someone quotes on something, it sometimes makes it look like they are trying to call them out on it, as if they are wrong. You can't cover everything on every post. Welcome to TW.

8. Dec 20, 2009 at 3:46 PM
    humtaco

Member:
    :cheers:

Products Discussed in

To Top