1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cooper Discoverer A/T3 Review

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Misterclean, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Feb 24, 2016 at 5:00 AM
    keith88lx

keith88lx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mount Prospect
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    This is interesting. I don't have the AT3's, but I have the ATP's and I don't have a single complaint about the performance in the snow, wet grass, or anything. I do leave it in 2wd in light snows with 120lbs in the back, and the ATP's always had awesome traction. Maybe you received a bad set? The AT3's were next on my list of tires.

2. Feb 25, 2016 at 3:21 AM
    wake100

wake100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Syracuse, NY
    Vehicle:
    2021 AG DCLB off road 4x4
    Uptop roof rack, cali raised light bar, diamondback tonneau
    It does make me wonder, I know many people locally also that love them and think they are the best. They do all have full size trucks though and I'm curious if that has an impact on their behavior. How does one get a bad set of tires?

3. Feb 25, 2016 at 4:44 AM
    keith88lx

Member:
    Mount Prospect
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    I went back and saw this. I then saw this (below) on Tire rack because I'm now looking for new tires for the wife's ride. My ATPs had a spring/summer/and fall before the snow so maybe that is the difference in performance from my ATPs to your AT3s?

Tire Tech
    Breaking in Your Tires
    (Lea en español)
    Tires are comprised of many layers of rubber, steel and fabric. Due to these different components, your new tires require a break-in period to ensure that they deliver their normal ride quality and maximum performance. As tires are cured, a release lubricant is applied to prevent them from sticking in their mold. Some of the lubricant stays on the surface of your tires, reducing traction until it is worn away. Five hundred miles of easy acceleration, cornering and braking will allow the mold release lubricant to wear off, allowing the other tire components to begin working together. It is also important to note that your old tires probably had very little tread depth remaining when you felt it was time to replace them. As any autocrosser or racer who has tread rubber shaved off of his tires will tell you, low tread depth tires respond more quickly. Don't be surprised if your new tires are a little slower to respond (even if you use the exact same tire as before). Their new, full depth brings with it a little more tread squirm until they wear down.

"...your new tires require a break-in period to ensure that they deliver their normal ride quality and maximum performance. "

Note: Be careful whenever you explore the capabilities of your new tires. Remember that every tire requires a break-in period of 500 miles for optimum performance.

4. Feb 25, 2016 at 4:49 AM
    wake100

wake100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Syracuse, NY
    Vehicle:
    2021 AG DCLB off road 4x4
    Uptop roof rack, cali raised light bar, diamondback tonneau
    Do keep in mind I have 30k on mine.... I had well over 500 miles on them to wear off the lubricants as I drive around 400 miles every weekend. My experience this does not apply, I had a few thousand on them before I regretted them in snow. Honestly I would recommend them to someone that lives south of me. Like Virginia, Texas, Florida.. I find them decent for most everything but wet grass and the snow I see

5. Feb 25, 2016 at 4:59 AM
    keith88lx

Member:
    Mount Prospect
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    I just assumed you got them recently because you never mentioned in this thread that you had them for that long already. Even though they are next on my list, I will keep this in mind since I do drive in the snow here in Chicago. Thanks.

6. Feb 25, 2016 at 6:58 AM
    KMKtacoma

KMKtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Karl
    Adamsville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma TRD 4x4 5spd, 126k miles
    255/70/17 Cooper AT3's, tonneau cover
    I don't see the lake effect snow (south Ohio)..... But my bald highway tires have gotten me out of 5" of snow in 4wd fairly easily. You make me reconsider being confident in these tires but I've heard so many good things it's hard not to want them. I may end up going with Mastercraft courser AXT due to the price point.

7. Feb 25, 2016 at 9:06 AM
    TacoSeattle

TacoSeattle Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 v6 SB Quicksand
    For those doing research I suggest going to Utube and searching "Cooper AT3 in snow" or "Cooper AT3 in wet grass" or similar wording. One video shows driving up a incline to a garage in 6 inches of snow on AT3s without a problem, another test in deep snow on hunting trail roads, another on muddy terrain, an F-150 on a freeway in 2WD. Decide for your self. I have had mine in deep mud and used 4X and MTS with no problems and on curvy icy roads without incident just had to slow down some.

8. Feb 25, 2016 at 6:43 PM
    Monkeybutt2000

Monkeybutt2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    We just had 4-6" of the wettest,sloppiest snow ever. My AT3s performed great,steered awesome and good traction. Backed up my drive (whch is an incline) in 2wd without issue.

Products Discussed in

To Top