1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S Review

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by bshammer0, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Aug 31, 2018 at 2:22 PM
    MacGyvR

MacGyvR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner (5VZ-FE)
    OME 2.5", 881, Dakar, Nitrochargers
    Got them to price match simpletire.com, which has these listed for $117. So $468 for the tires, plus $194 in misc fees and $49 tax brings me to $711.37. Gonna fill out the rebate for an extra 10% off.

bshammer0[OP] likes this.
  2. Aug 31, 2018 at 3:27 PM
    Thegenerik1

Thegenerik1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    18 DCLB OR
    $194 in mic fees???

Snaeper likes this.
  3. Aug 31, 2018 at 3:34 PM
    six1five

six1five Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kunal
    Nashville, TN
    17 SR AC 4x4 2.7L MT
    I just tried to submit the rebate. Cutoff was 8/18, I bought on 8/20...

4. Sep 1, 2018 at 2:46 PM
    MacGyvR

MacGyvR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner (5VZ-FE)
    OME 2.5", 881, Dakar, Nitrochargers
    Bought the certificates for the tires.
    That was $24 per tire, so an extra $96 there. Then there was an $8 environmental fee, $10 disposal fee, and a $20 per tire installation fee.

bshammer0[OP] likes this.
  5. Sep 2, 2018 at 7:28 AM
    Silentwolf

Silentwolf Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR
    Cruise Control,Led Reverse lights, Weathertech mudflaps, Weathertech headlight protectors,Lund stepbar, Interior Leds, AVS Hoodflector, AVS In-Channel Ventvisor, aFe Pro DRY S airfilter, K & N cabin airfilter, A/C drain valve, Mostplus Led Headlights
    Just ordered my set at Discount Tire. Manager price matched Tire buyer at 125 a tire and took an additional 100 off if I ordered em that day. So 4 tires a new set of wheels for $1000. Filling out a rebate so looking like $900 after everything.

6. Sep 2, 2018 at 7:39 AM
    Thegenerik1

Thegenerik1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    18 DCLB OR
    What size and load rating? What wheels?

7. Sep 2, 2018 at 7:49 AM
    Silentwolf

Silentwolf Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR
    Cruise Control,Led Reverse lights, Weathertech mudflaps, Weathertech headlight protectors,Lund stepbar, Interior Leds, AVS Hoodflector, AVS In-Channel Ventvisor, aFe Pro DRY S airfilter, K & N cabin airfilter, A/C drain valve, Mostplus Led Headlights
    Thegenerik1[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Sep 8, 2018 at 9:13 AM
    Stefan L.

Stefan L. Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefan
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Hilux Revo Double Cab 2.4 Diesel
    Old Man Emu Suspension 2“, aluminum top cover
    Hey guys,
    I just signed up here despite being a Ford owner (yeah I know shame on me, but the Tacoma isn't even available here in Germany, and the Toyota Hilux wasn't my taste optically, so I decided to get the Ford Ranger which imo among all contenders here in Europe is a solid choice).

Since this year we have new regulations here concerning tires, they now need the "snowflake/3 peak mountain" icon to meet insurance requirements for usage during winter time. In other words, using a tire without this symbol on snow can lead to loss of insurance in case of an accident.
    We all know what this may mean...

Thats why I'm in the market for new tires, I loved my Cooper AT3 but they don't carry the snowflake... Since overall design is pretty similar except the new (sweet looking) sidewall design I strongly consider these new AT3 4S as a replacement.
    I need my rig for everyday use including getting my kids to school here in Berlin, so my choice isn't based on looks alone but on safe road manners in the first place, in all kinds of weather.
    Bearing this in mind, are you new AT3 4S owners still happy with your choice? How is the tire performing in wet, cold, and - if anyone here already has experiance - in the snow?
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts,
    Cheers

Stefan

9. Sep 8, 2018 at 11:21 AM
    bshammer0

bshammer0 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Prinsu, TruckCovers USA, Coverking, OVTuned
    Had mine on for over 2 months now and have, in that time, put about 8,000 miles or so on them and they are still as solid as can be. Terrific highway tire at higher speeds, but I have yet to slip a tire in wet conditions and they actually even handle themselves much better than I'd expect in a bit of mud. Handling is outstanding with these tires imho. Since these only came out this summer, may be hard pressed to find many that have battle-tested their snow capabilities but I'm putting faith in the snowflake symbol to do it's job when we head to the snowy mountains in winter.

I use my rig for city commutes, long highway drives, mountains, mild offroading, stream crossings occasionally, gravel, etc., but I much like you wasn't willing to sacrifice the comfort and safety of my daily driver for looks or offroad capability. Much of the time I have my wife and 1yr old daughter in the truck as well so safety is crucial!

I don't think you can go wrong but we'll see when winter hits :)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  10. Sep 8, 2018 at 12:17 PM
    Pine State

Pine State Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma DCSB SR5 4x4
    I put them on my wifes car and they are performing well so far in rain and dry conditions. No snow here yet, but the tread pattern looks like it will handle just as well as the previous set of Nokian all weather tires she had which were fine as well.

11. Sep 8, 2018 at 7:09 PM
    Mossyjaws

Mossyjaws Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 dclb
    Footprint Gas Pedal
    No trouble running the 265 75 r16 on 2nd gens with stock mudflaps on? My dunlops are about done, at 33k now, trying to decide if I want to attempt running them this winter or replacing. They are still slightly above the wear bars and will need to be replaced before next winter for sure. Would like to run the 265 75s but would rather go stock size if it is going to have rub issues.

12. Sep 9, 2018 at 3:45 AM
    Stefan L.

Stefan L. Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefan
    Vehicle:
    @bshammer0 and Pine State, thanks for your replies. Sounds encouraging. Like you, I‘ll use the tire for everything from city over german autobahn to gravel roads and medium offroad use e. g. in the alps. Apparently even the original AT3 wasn‘t a slouch in these conditions, so the new 4s should be just fine. I‘ll be ordering mine in october.
    Likely I‘ll also go up a notch in tire size. 265/75/16 should look nice:)

Can‘t speak for the Taco but no rubbing with the Ranger, not even with 285/75/16 on stock rims/ stock suspension.

Cheers

Stefan

bshammer0[OP] and Thegenerik1 like this.
  13. Sep 9, 2018 at 5:32 AM
    bshammer0

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Enjoy! We DO need to see a pic of your ride, perhaps in the Ranger thread we have on TW. Plenty of Taco owners are excited for th Rangers to come back to the US for 2019... even if only to give some better competition to push Toyota!

14. Sep 9, 2018 at 11:45 AM
    Stefan L.

Stefan L. Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefan
    Vehicle:
    Hi,
    yeah I saw pics of the US version Ranger for 2019 recently... just minor changes to the current design. I like it! Would love to see the 2.3 gasoline engine or a V6 for the Ranger here in europe, or Toyota bringing the Taco to us (are you listening, Toyota sales department?)
    Volkswagen just f***ed the hole diesel-thing up, not many years to come and I won't be allowed to enter some inner city regions here with my rig due to new emission limits.

But for now, it's a great ride. Certainly not a race car, but I see awesome mpg figures, almost 30 miles per gallon (in city driving, that is).

Also, handling is great, particulary steering and suspension, even stock. And these trucks seem to be quite solidly made. No rattling whatsoever, no matter what terrain you're encountering.

Finally, a few pics of mine with some changes to be observed over the last two years since I picked it up brand new from the dealer. Decided to post them here since in the Ranger thread you mentioned they're now debating the raptor version... no match for my rig which is the absolute base version ;)

IMG_1296.jpgIMG_1297.jpgIMG_1299.jpgIMG_1301.jpgIMG_1302.jpgIMG_1304.jpgIMG_1305.jpgIMG_1306.jpg

Cheers, oh and sorry for being completely OT here!

Stefan

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  15. Sep 10, 2018 at 12:27 PM
    bshammer0

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Nice rig, great pics! Nothing wrong with a workhorse stock truck if it's well made and gets the job done which clearly it does! Good luck on the tire search

Stefan L.[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Sep 10, 2018 at 12:44 PM
    Rd62

Rd62 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB TRD Sport
    Now that some have had these for a few months any updated reviews of handling, noise, wet, and off-road performance?

17. Sep 12, 2018 at 12:46 AM
    runner05

runner05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Karl
    I'm a fan of cooper tires. Had a set of the original AT3's and had no problems. The 4S version looks good, though I'm curious about its on and off-road performance.

18. Sep 13, 2018 at 5:17 AM
    Mattc82

Mattc82 Member

Member:
    These are good looking tires. I've got Toyo AT now but will need some soon and may change to these if the price is that much better. Anyone know how these compare to the Toyos?

19. Sep 13, 2018 at 9:17 AM
    Stefan L.

Stefan L. Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefan
    Vehicle:
    No practical experience here, but given the fact that cooper improved the "old" at3 to achieve the severe weather rating, I would suspect they not only added sipes and a more beefy sidewall, but first and foremost a new, supposedly slightly softer (silica based) rubber compound.
    In comparison to the Toyo my bet is the Cooper will pull ahead in snow and will have shorter braking distances on snow and wet tarmac, but on the flipside it will most likely wear out a bit faster.
    But I'm only guessing here. We'll have to wait for more consumer reports and reviews to come in.

Lord Helmet and bshammer0[OP] like this.
  20. Sep 13, 2018 at 2:38 PM
    Mossyjaws

Mossyjaws Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 dclb
    Footprint Gas Pedal
    Had these installed yesterday. Can’t comment much about them yet other than they look good and that the 265 75 fits on stock suspension with all mudflaps still in place with no rub. Happy about that having a black truck and all.

Stefan L. and bshammer0[OP] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top