1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cooper Discoverer M+S - Anybody Use These?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by uncleelihu, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Dec 6, 2008 at 7:06 PM
    uncleelihu

uncleelihu [OP] Active Member

Member:
    MN, At The Lake
    Vehicle:
    13 DC 4x4 TRD Sport Pyrite Mica
    2017 4Runner Wheels, Debadged, Wet Okoles
    I've got a 2002 PreRunner, 4 cyl, stock rims, with 265/70 R16 Cooper Discoverer H/T tires on it.

Works fine for my normal highway/gravel road driving.

I'm looking for some snow tires for the rear, and thought it might be best to go with something similar to what is on the truck, only in a snow tire design. And, nope, not much snow where I live (North Texas), but anticipating a trip to Minnesota next month, so trying to prepare for that.

Anyone have experience with the Cooper Discoverer M+S? Or a recommendation for a good snow tire for mainly highway use?

Thanks!

2. Dec 6, 2008 at 7:19 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I want to say that I saw a thread where somebody was having vibration issues with Cooper. I don't remember the model (and if it really was Cooper)

3. Dec 7, 2008 at 6:54 AM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    We run the Coopers at work and they are nice tires. Great traction in M & S but they about gone in 35,000 miles, so swap them out when the weather straightens up.

4. Dec 7, 2008 at 12:53 PM
    uncleelihu

Member:
    MN, At The Lake
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the info!

I'll likely get the Cooper M+S. The Coopers on the truck are doing fine for the conditions I encounter daily in this area.

A couple of rims for the snow tires will be gotten, as well. I prefer having the option of just bolting on the tires as needed.

Regards

5. Dec 7, 2008 at 1:13 PM
    Cobra69

Cobra69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Taxachusetts (Massachusetts)
    Vehicle:
    02 Tocoma TRD Expedition Setup
    2002 Tacoma TRD Access Cab, Deckplate Mod.,Grey wire Mod.,Cobra CB,Ext. Diff. Breather,E-locker rear only for now,CBI Custom Winch bumper, SAW 2.0, All Pro 5" leaf packs+Bilstiens 5150-10" shocks,Cooper STT 285x75x16 on Wheelers Type B 16x8 rims, Budbuilt front+Mid skid plates, Custom transfer crossmember+skidplate,Trail-Gear sliders,custom roof-rack,Ultimate-air CO2 tank,4-Hella 500 H.I.D. Lights,Atlas 10,000 lbs winch. Custom Half-doors for the summer.
    or you could switch to the Cooper STT's and not worry at all. I'm running mine as a DD up to 30,000 on them they have only worn down a minimal amount.

6. Dec 8, 2008 at 8:47 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    Father in law runs them, he got 35k from first set. Good snow/offroad tire. Not as soft and grippy as my Blizzaks, but they'll last longer, and take off-road abuse better. Highway? well its a snow tire, expect a little more noise and maybe a slight drop in mpg.

For Texas would think overkill, and actually for typical packed snow driving, the H/T is sipped pretty well. My sister runs them on a FWD only RAV4 and she gets double the snow I do.

7. Dec 8, 2008 at 11:26 AM
    uncleelihu

Member:
    MN, At The Lake
    Vehicle:
    I bought the PreRunner in May of this year to replace my POS 2005 Dakota 4X4 Quad Cab.

The PreRunner came with 31" BFG tires on it, which were what I had on my '95 F150 4X4 in Alaska. Road noise wasn't an issue in my small Alaskan town, where the max posted speed was 45 mph, but on the highway here on the PreRunner, I couldn't hear myself think!

So, a new set of the Coopers were installed and have worked well. For the few trips I will make to snow country, the M+S sound like they will do fine. I know they won't make the PreRunner into a 4X4, but they should do a better job than the H/T and I don't mind spending the $$ for a little "insurance".

With all the vehicles I have owned over the years ('71 Blazer 4x4, '76 F100 4x4, '78 F150 4x4, '95 F150 4x4, '96 LX450, & '05 Dakota 4x4, + others) this is my first Toyota pickup. I just love it, and wish I had bought one before now! I think the reason I didn't was because the early Toyotas were prone to rusting out where I lived in Alaska and on the Oregon coast.

I don't see myself buying another American made vehicle, and probably will stick to Lexus and Toyota for the future.

Thanks for the replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top