1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cooper ST Maxx or BF Goodrich T/A KO2

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by wingspar, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Cooper ST Maxx or BF Goodrich T/A KO2

Poll closed Sep 20, 2019.
  1. Cooper ST Maxx

121 vote(s)
    65.8%
  2. Goodrich T/A KO2

46 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Other

17 vote(s)
    9.2%
  1. Jan 31, 2018 at 6:24 AM
    Thyces

Thyces 2 seater taco

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCLB TRD Sport
    Custom painted 6112's Fox 2.0 12" in the rear Allpro expedition leafs (garbage) Pelfreybilt aluminum single hoop front Full size pickup bedslide modded to fit Satoshi grill Ubolt flip kit Archive garage shackle flip 5" Sumo supersprings 1500lbs SPC uca's Full set RCI skid plates Weld on sliders ABS killswitch Pop'n'lock power tailgate lock Falken Wildpeak mt on FJ rims Plastidipped emblems Ebay projector headlights Smoked aftermarket tail lights High output led reverse lights Hella horns 330w 5d led bumper bar 18w spots on track facing rear (fuck you lights) B&m trans cooler Bussmann fuse box ECGS bushing Big 4 (0 gauge ofc wire) upgrade Mechman 240 amp alternator Jl 10w7 in a 1 1/2" thick wall custom box Alpine 1000w rms mono amp Group 31 AGM battery installed next to sub Yaesu 2800 Bearcat 980 in dash with wireless mic and stainless whip Diff breather mod Hilux snorkel Turbine pre filter Baja Rack low profile cab rack Rifle case on rack Shovel and axe on quick fists in bed Flat and spade shovel mounted in bed Highlift mount in bed Tech deck with magnetic ram mount Tab s7 on ram mount
    Ko2 is very different from the ko. They only look the same.

2. Jan 31, 2018 at 6:48 AM
    TXTaco13

TXTaco13 Taco/T4R Enthusiast

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    4TH GEN V8 4X4 T4R
    '83 CJ7 '19 MT 07
    Look at the tread pattern, it's not. It's got a new sidewall design/thicker to try to avoid rampant punctures with the KO. The only other thing they changed is the compound of the rubber, that's it. That's not very different.

3. Jan 31, 2018 at 7:00 AM
    Thyces

Thyces 2 seater taco

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCLB TRD Sport
    Custom painted 6112's Fox 2.0 12" in the rear Allpro expedition leafs (garbage) Pelfreybilt aluminum single hoop front Full size pickup bedslide modded to fit Satoshi grill Ubolt flip kit Archive garage shackle flip 5" Sumo supersprings 1500lbs SPC uca's Full set RCI skid plates Weld on sliders ABS killswitch Pop'n'lock power tailgate lock Falken Wildpeak mt on FJ rims Plastidipped emblems Ebay projector headlights Smoked aftermarket tail lights High output led reverse lights Hella horns 330w 5d led bumper bar 18w spots on track facing rear (fuck you lights) B&m trans cooler Bussmann fuse box ECGS bushing Big 4 (0 gauge ofc wire) upgrade Mechman 240 amp alternator Jl 10w7 in a 1 1/2" thick wall custom box Alpine 1000w rms mono amp Group 31 AGM battery installed next to sub Yaesu 2800 Bearcat 980 in dash with wireless mic and stainless whip Diff breather mod Hilux snorkel Turbine pre filter Baja Rack low profile cab rack Rifle case on rack Shovel and axe on quick fists in bed Flat and spade shovel mounted in bed Highlift mount in bed Tech deck with magnetic ram mount Tab s7 on ram mount
    So they changed the material used in production, redesigned they sidewall and shoulder lugs, increased traction, increased durability/wear but are still the same tire? Yes the tread pattern looks the same, that's pretty much the only thing that is the same. Do the research. If I'm wrong please explain.

Pella and slamson00 like this.
  4. Jan 31, 2018 at 7:06 AM
    Thyces

Thyces 2 seater taco

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCLB TRD Sport
    I have both ko2 and Cooper st Maxx. I like the Maxx better for ride quality. Ko2 seems to be better in snow. I did just mount the Maxx so my opinion might change.

Tacotj and Mike G like this.
  5. Jan 31, 2018 at 7:10 AM
    trd_kevin

trd_kevin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma TRD 4x4
    Too much
    i’ve has both tires on my taco, currently running ko2s and they are hands down the best tire i’ve run thus far, quiet and handle great on the freeway but handle even better aired down in the dirt

DavesTaco68 likes this.
  6. Jan 31, 2018 at 7:10 AM
    TXTaco13

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    4TH GEN V8 4X4 T4R
    '83 CJ7 '19 MT 07
    I did the research, that's how I told you what changes they made. They are using a 20+ year old tread pattern design tire, and spiffed it up some. There are other more quality tires with better design/engineering put into them out there, which is why I purchased the ST MAXX.

7. Jan 31, 2018 at 7:36 AM
    Thyces

Thyces 2 seater taco

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCLB TRD Sport
    We're in disagreement about the definition of "different". I can't personally comment on there being better tires out there as I haven't had much experience with other all terrains. I have no preference to manufacturer, which is one of the reasons I decided try the st maxx. The other was the 255 80 17 size.
    Have you personally tried the ko2?

8. Jan 31, 2018 at 8:00 AM
    BLKTRD

BLKTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja T/X DCSB
    All-Pro Rear Bumper Leer 100XQ Prinsu Toprac Prinsu Cabrac Demello Sliders US Off Road Hidden Winch (planned) Smittybilt XRC Winch w/Synthetic Rope (planned) Lightning Racing UCAs 1" Coil Spring Spacer 1" Top Plate Spacer Old Man Emu CS047R Leaf Springs w/Add-A-Leaf 1" Rear Lift Blocks w/3 Degree Offset Extended Steel Brake Lines Transmission Drop Kit Differential Drop Kit Lucas Gear Oil (Diff, Trans) Cooper Discoverver S/T Maxx (285/75R16) Gorilla Lug Nuts Spidertrax 1" spacers Infinity Door Speakers w/Tweeters Powered 8" Kicker Subwoofer Alpine Amplifier 4 x 100w TRD Quickshift Brite-Box (Simultaneous Hi/Lo-Beam Adapter)
    About 50% of what they cost new at today's price...

Another method is to measure remaining tread with treadwear gauge and charge by unit. For example, my ST Maxx have 18/32" tread new. Subtract 2/32" because that is where the treadbar is (as far down as the manufacturer says it is to drive). You, then have 16/32" of useable tread. If the tire cost $160 then you divide by 16 units, you come up with $10 per 1/32" of useable tread. If you measure 7/32" remaining on your tire with a treadwear gauge, subtract 2/32", you come up with 5/32" of useable tread. Multiply your useable tread (5) by $10 then you have $50 per tire.
    *these numbers were for example, figure out wear your treadler is (probably 2/32) and the actual cost of your tire.

9. Jan 31, 2018 at 11:24 AM
    trd_kevin

trd_kevin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma TRD 4x4
    Too much
    listen OP there is no reason to ask other people because everyone's opinion and situation is very different from yours or anyone else's so try to find a used set of each tire, buy them, try it out and do the same with the other tire, that's what I did, now I know what I like and what I want

Thyces likes this.
  10. Jan 31, 2018 at 11:31 AM
    Thyces

Thyces 2 seater taco

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCLB TRD Sport
    Truth.
    I bought my current st Maxx used with 17/32nds just to try them out. Got them for $450 Canadian. I had been hearing from a few guys that have tried a few different brands that the ko2 were not the best so I decided to see for myself.

11. Feb 1, 2018 at 8:06 AM
    TXTaco13

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    4TH GEN V8 4X4 T4R
    '83 CJ7 '19 MT 07
    So you two are saying there shouldn't be reviews/opinions on products? That's what TW is about, people's experiences with certain products, reviews, and how to's. Plus, You are aware you are giving your opinion/advice right now don't you? :rolleyes:

wingspar[OP] likes this.
  12. Feb 1, 2018 at 8:20 AM
    Thyces

Thyces 2 seater taco

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCLB TRD Sport
    Not at all. Your actually extrapolating quite a bit there and taking a lot of liberties with some very simple statements. Opinions are subjective by nature. What I think is comfortable may be unbearable to another. The only real way to see if you enjoy an experience is to experience the experience.

Tacotj likes this.
  13. Feb 1, 2018 at 8:32 AM
    TXTaco13

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    4TH GEN V8 4X4 T4R
    '83 CJ7 '19 MT 07
    Your statements don't make any sense, you take people's opinions/experiences with a grain of salt, and apply what's similar to your situation. If you were about to take a cruise ship, and the boat you were going to take was known to have power loss, plumbing issues, would you scoff at that review you read and want to experience it yourself to see if it affects you the same?

14. Feb 1, 2018 at 8:47 AM
    Thyces

Thyces 2 seater taco

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCLB TRD Sport
    You miss understanding and me not making sense are different things. I personally take people's experiences and opinions then cross reference with reality, common sense and empirical data to come to a conclusion and see if it's worth my time\money to test myself. We're not talking about shitty products here. These are 2 highly rated tires both with very good reviews. The differences will be small and subjective. I believe personal experience is necessary when dealing with such small differences..... But take that with a grain of salt.....these are my opinions...

15. Feb 1, 2018 at 8:50 AM
    Kyitty

Kyitty Mr. Beard

Member:
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DCLB Better Than TRD
    See Build Page
    Not even a fair fight.

ST MAXX all day long.

Moab = Awesome
    MT Mountains, log roads, dirt, rock, mud = Awesome
    Highway = Quiet
    City = Great
    Snow/Ice = No need for snow tires.

I see these on big trucks in Montana all the time. Probably half the 4x4 club in town runs these.

xxTacocaTxx likes this.
  16. Feb 1, 2018 at 9:14 AM
    andrew61987

andrew61987 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Access Cab 4WD, 2.7L 5 speed
    If I may....looking over the messages I don't think he was extrapolating much if at all. You literally said there's no reason to ask others' opinion because they're all different.

Nobody is supposed to take the opinions here as gospel. You're supposed to aggregate them as information to use so you can make a more informed decision for yourself. How much stock you put in this information is up to you.

17. Feb 1, 2018 at 9:32 AM
    Mippi

Mippi New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100, 1 Piece driveshaft, 32s
    What are you running for suspension? I am considering doing the 255/85/16s ST MAXX as well. Do your tires rub at all?

18. Feb 1, 2018 at 9:34 AM
    Thyces

Thyces 2 seater taco

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCLB TRD Sport
    I stand corrected. Although I didn't make the statement hence, I didn't literally say that, I did agree with that one post a bit too quickly. I should have elaborated and stated that what i found true in that statement is that everyone will get a differing opinion on something as close as 2 very good products in the same category. I now see how @TXTaco13 came to that conclusion about my statement.

19. Feb 1, 2018 at 10:57 AM
    Woodrow F Call

Woodrow F Call Kindling crackles and the smoke curls up...

Member:
    Colorful Colorado
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSB SR5 4X4 "ikea furniture haulers" edition.
    Can y'all quit talking about nuances in communication and talk about tires?

The Cooper's work well in rain?

20. Feb 1, 2018 at 11:01 AM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    haha i saw this and thought the same thing:
    Moab = Awesome
    MT Mountains, log roads, dirt, rock, mud = Awesome
    Highway = Quiet
    City = Great
    Snow/Ice = No need for snow tires.​

where's the Wet? lol

anyway, my STMaxx tires are 265/65, so they are significantly firmer on the sidewall and therefore less compliant with the road, more than the other sizes, which all have a taller sidewall. having said that, mine are ok but a handful at low speed and starting from a stop. this is also magnified by my MT. so i'm saying they are average in the wet, but i bet everyone else's opinion and taller sidewall setup get a different answer...

wingspar[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top