1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cooper Zeon LTZ's

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by jospur, May 3, 2010.

1. May 3, 2010 at 9:52 AM
    jospur

jospur [OP] Member

Member:
    Melbourne, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    I don't know a whole lot about tires. I currently have a 4 ply stock tire 265 65 17 on my TRD Sport Double cab 4x2. I want to put Cooper Zeon LTZ's on it but the tire dealers are telling me that these tires are meant to go on a much bigger truck. They are telling me that my Tacoma will ride like crap.
    What do you guys recommend I do? What can you tell me about these tires on my truck? Will they affect fuel economy? Does it change the ride that much? Any tips for me?

Thanks!

2. May 3, 2010 at 10:06 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    PM Chris4x4

3. May 3, 2010 at 3:00 PM
    Agent7

Agent7 Senior Executive of Nothing.

Member:
    Toronto, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 6spd
    BHLM, Stubby Antenna, Custom Front Grill, Debaged Tailgate, Added TRD Emblem, Removed Factory Pinstripes, Leer 100XL Cap, Prolumen 6000K HID Kit with custom glare shields, Eurolite Yellow fog lights, 20" Fast Hustler wheels (black w/3" deepdish polished lip), Cooper Zeon LTZ 275/60/20's, Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers, Custom LED Gauges, Pioneer AVIC F700BT All-In-One Indash Navigation (Hacked)
    I would bet that your tire dealer doesn't carry Cooper and is suggesting you go with something else so that he can make the sale. I've had my zeon's on for 10,000 miles or so and they are smooth, fairly quiet with no problems to date. These tires were designed to have a good mix of on and offroad capability. The only way I can see these tires effecting your fuel economy would be if you went with a larger size, otherwise it shouldn't be a much different to what your mpg's are now. My only tip is to go to a reputable installer.

4. May 3, 2010 at 3:07 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    x2...they look so sick on his truck!

5. May 3, 2010 at 3:18 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    Chris 4x4 did a write-up on these tires.

As for your questions:
    They'll ride stiffer if they are a heavier load rating (6, 8, 10pr etc). The higher the ply rating, the heavier the tire will be- increased rotating mass will effect gas mileage and acceleration.

6. May 3, 2010 at 5:58 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    So far, Im SUPER happy with these tires! They seem to be wearing quite well, have great grip in the rain (as compared to the Nitto TG's , and BFG AT's), and beat both in grip off road. Today, in fact, I was crawling around in some relativly deep river rock, and the tires stuck great. Even at street psi's.

7. May 3, 2010 at 6:12 PM
    jospur

jospur [OP] Member

Member:
    Melbourne, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    I work for a dealership. I can get these tires at wholesale. The company's I called have been selling cooper tires for years and recommend them for the most part, they are just telling me that these Zeon tires are meant more for 3/4 ton type trucks.
    I did manage to get a sweet price on some Nitto Terra Grapplers 265 70 17 for $130 a piece. The Coopers are about $30 more than the Nittos. And also kicking around General Grabbers UHPs.

These will be used for mostly road driving (city and hwy, dry and wet), some light trails around Florida. What psi do you keep in the Coopers Zeon LTZs?

I will say this, these Cooper Zeon LTZs sure do have some happy customers. All great reviews I keep reading. It appears that these will be some long lasting great handling tires....

Thanks for chiming in guys.

8. May 3, 2010 at 6:23 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Mine are a different size than what you are considering, but I found 34 front, and 32 rear work well.

9. May 3, 2010 at 6:45 PM
    jospur

jospur [OP] Member

Member:
    Melbourne, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    Thanks Chris. Yea, I saw that you have a bigger tire on there. I'm going to keep the stock tires for a while. Eventually I will slap on bigger rims, a bigger tire and a 2" or 3" lift.
    man,,,,,, I just got this truck a few weeks ago and I wanna do so much so soon!! I swear, I could spend $5k in a few hours on this truck! lol!! Lord help me

10. May 4, 2010 at 2:13 PM
    Agent7

Agent7 Senior Executive of Nothing.

Member:
    Toronto, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 6spd
    BHLM, Stubby Antenna, Custom Front Grill, Debaged Tailgate, Added TRD Emblem, Removed Factory Pinstripes, Leer 100XL Cap, Prolumen 6000K HID Kit with custom glare shields, Eurolite Yellow fog lights, 20" Fast Hustler wheels (black w/3" deepdish polished lip), Cooper Zeon LTZ 275/60/20's, Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers, Custom LED Gauges, Pioneer AVIC F700BT All-In-One Indash Navigation (Hacked)
    I'm at 32psi all round on 275-60-20's.

Products Discussed in

To Top