1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cop shoots off duty firefighter

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement Officers' started by Forster46, Feb 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 25, 2014 at 9:36 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 [OP] Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    Not sure if it's been posted yet, just came across it online.

I'm not gonna list my thoughts here because I'm not exactly sure how I feel about it quite yet. Just sharing.

http://www.statter911.com/2014/02/2...city-firefighter-police-officer-caught-video/

I guess the cop is justified since he was getting the shit beat out of him... Not sure what else you would have done? Taser?

Edit: After reading more I see the cop was off duty, does that change anything?

2. Feb 25, 2014 at 9:46 PM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    goleta/santa barbara, ca
    Vehicle:
    97 5 speed 4x4 v6
    lt
    why is he chasing the guy if he is off duty?

3. Feb 25, 2014 at 9:47 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR 'interfering with Darwin since 1990'

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Front Suspension: Revtek 3" lift replaced with -> OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Rear Suspension: Revtek blocks replaced with -> All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, PIAA bulbs, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    Tragic all around.

4. Feb 25, 2014 at 9:50 PM
    THExBUSxDRIVER

THExBUSxDRIVER Victory is reserved...

Member:
    First Name:
    GOO5E
    Central Valley Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Old Man Tan!
    Not enough.
    Lots of thoughts on this....

Why did he get drunk and act dumb with a security guard? (yes he's a cop but he was off duty)

Why isn't the cop at least half physically fit or knowledgeable in ground fighting to where he could have easily turned the tables and sub'd him?

5. Feb 25, 2014 at 9:50 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 [OP] Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    That was my question. I mean if I was an off duty cop and heard there was a fight outside I would try to break it up, but I wouldn't try to apprehend the guy alone like that...

6. Feb 25, 2014 at 9:52 PM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    goleta/santa barbara, ca
    Vehicle:
    97 5 speed 4x4 v6
    lt
    he shoulda put him in hand cuffs or something....he looked like he had no clue what he was doing

7. Feb 25, 2014 at 9:52 PM
    THExBUSxDRIVER

THExBUSxDRIVER Victory is reserved...

Member:
    First Name:
    GOO5E
    Central Valley Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Old Man Tan!
    Not enough.
    x2. His badge got to his head.

8. Feb 25, 2014 at 9:54 PM
    Datsik

Datsik Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 Sport
    Stock
    Disgusting.

9. Feb 25, 2014 at 10:00 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    This is why some cops should be fired. You don't shoot an unarmed person there are better ways like tasers and pepper spray to subdue someone. I support cops but it seems that they are becoming too militaristic for the job.

10. Feb 25, 2014 at 10:13 PM
    SoCalTacos

SoCalTacos Penis Bird

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 DC LB Black
    King remote resi coilovers, King rear resis, camburg 1.25" uca, deaver j66 pack, Method race wheels, bfg at ko 285/70/17, Retrofitted headlights FXR IV, debadged, tinted tails, JL audio stealthbox, focal v30, focal pc165, arc audio amp, 7" Kenwood hu, undercarriage led lighting, kibbetech custom bumper with 20" led light bar, RI duallies (6), dtlt's, urd intake, maf cal, urd y-pipe, roto pax gas tank and tacoma bed mount, pelfreybuilt bed bar.
    Horrible...

11. Feb 25, 2014 at 10:29 PM
    TCRAWFORD

TCRAWFORD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Debadged, WeatherTechs, Wheelers Type A steelies, 265/75/16 BFG AT K/O
    The off duty leo was getting his face smashed by an individual who was clearly inebriated, it may have been possible for the officer to handle him without using deadly force but his life was clearly threatened and who knows how far the suspect would have gone. Im not saying that it was the "right" call but after watching the video I don't think the officer was in the wrong. If the suspect was just a regular guy who had too much to drink I highly doubt people would be up in arms on the officers decision to pull his weapon.

12. Feb 25, 2014 at 10:44 PM
    zbaldo

zbaldo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ozzy
    Torrance, Ca
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner SR5 4X4
    Stock as Stock can be with duratracs and a roof rack
    I also don't like how they throw the title firefighter around when it doesn't have anything to do with this other than to get more attention

He should have been able to subdue the man though

13. Feb 25, 2014 at 10:59 PM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    Sounds like the cop was working security for a hotel and responded to the call of a fight.

Not all cops have pepper spray and tasers. Close range like that, I probably wouldn't go for spray b/c it'd get all over me too.

Looks like the cop was trying to cuff the guy and he kept resisting, then started getting attacked, so he shot him. If the cop failed to shoot him, and let the guy continue to beat him, who knows what would of happened. I guarantee people would be out for blood if the firefighter got a couple more licks in which resulted in the cop becoming disabled (brain dead). Only reason this is such a big deal is because it's not some low life scum, but a fire fighter. Probably a stand-up dude who drank a little too much that night, and we can all relate to that. Still doesn't change the fact that he willingly held down and attacked an officer after allegedly fighting with a cab driver.
    What about the substandard shitbags that just sat there and watched it all. Half way encouraging the resisting, and chastising the officer at the same time. Those shitbags should of told their drunk buddy to just relax and ran to help when they started rolling around. Instead they stood there like the punks they probably are.

14. Feb 25, 2014 at 11:04 PM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    No matter how big and strong one person is, there is always someone out there bigger, stronger, and more skilled then them. That's why they give cops weapons.

15. Feb 25, 2014 at 11:15 PM
    HamerMan

HamerMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '02 prerunner
    Not racetruck
    You don't taze someone in a situation like that or you end up tasing yourself. Pepper spray would have subdued himself as well. You simply don't try to arrest someone on your own like that. The entire situation could have been avoided if he had a backup officer. And the bystanders, just sitting there and WATCHING a police officer get beat like that. You jump in and help in a situation like that..

16. Feb 26, 2014 at 12:07 AM
    mipawlus

mipawlus Broja OG and CEO

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Aggieland
    Vehicle:
    BROJAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
    all of the mods.
    bad news bears all around. first responder on first responder. blue on blue looks like the cop was in uniform though. i know as a Marine i got out of hands a few times, but once the seriousness of cops showed up... time to be a perfect angel. not to instigate, but it seemed that cop was ill prepared for a ground fight and was getting his ass whooped, but as bad as it hurt, taken the licking and put out an APB or man hunt or whatever, without having to take another life. there's always someone bigger and badder than you, and the great equalizer is not always the answer. that's just my $0.02 though. either way, this is just heartbreaking and at the end of the day, none of us were there, in their shoes. the cop will have to live with his decision, and the FF's family will have to as well. living with the memories is bad enough (see also: any combat vet).

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  17. Feb 26, 2014 at 12:27 AM
    badphish14

badphish14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD OFF ROAD
    I'm curious if the officer identified himself as a cop? I'm not saying that the firefighter was right but if he thinks he's just fighting off a hotel security guard instead of an off duty officer it's a different outcome I bet. Like mipawlus said, we've all gotten out of hand but once the police were involved, you smarten up and behave a little better.

18. Feb 26, 2014 at 12:28 AM
    Jareds Toyota

Jareds Toyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Seattle area
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD Sport
    OME 884x with 1/4" drivers side spacer, rear tsb with wheelers 1.5" progressive aal
    I want some LEOs to chime in right about now. Sounds like you guys are forming opinions when you have most likely never been in a situation like that.

19. Feb 26, 2014 at 12:29 AM
    Nielubie

Nielubie Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Chicago
    Title says "Off duty firefighter", the cop was in uniform. Doesn't matter who you are; if you try to beat someone like that where they fear for their life, be ready for the consequences. I'm not a cop, but if it happened to me and I was carrying it would be the same result. Looking on a screen and actually being there are two different things. Its easy to criticize now after the fact.

20. Feb 26, 2014 at 12:30 AM
    Jareds Toyota

Jareds Toyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Seattle area
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD Sport
    OME 884x with 1/4" drivers side spacer, rear tsb with wheelers 1.5" progressive aal
    Well said!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
To Top