1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cop shoots off duty firefighter

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement Officers' started by Forster46, Feb 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 28, 2014 at 12:27 AM
    gopens48

gopens48 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5
    My department got a government grant for body cam's. Me and about 15 other guys have been guinea pigs and have been wearing them for a few weeks. The nice thing about them, is they pick up most audio, whereas my dash cam works great when I'm outside, but as soon as I go inside, the mic doesn't pick up much.

They have the same problem though, any time you are running or fighting with someone, all you hear is static. Same thing with the video. The camera is hooked to the middle of my shirt, along the buttons. So when I run, the camera bounces all over. In the times that I've fought with people with it on, it doesn't pick up much detail of the fight, until its over and I'm looking at the guy handcuffed. Most times you can't tell what technique I used, or what the bad guy had specifically done.

Overall, as far as recording what we say or do, its probably better than our dash cams. I don't have any problem with them, but then again I've never tried to cover anything up. However, if you think body cams are the solution to all LEO problems, your dreaming. Its just like anything else in life, if people want to do something wrong, they are going to no matter what deterrents you put in place. Drugs are illegal, people still get them. Make guns illegal, people will still get them if they want them bad enough. Same thing applies to police work, if someone makes up there mind to be a "bad cop" its going to happen regardless. Personally, I don't necessarily view it as a "cop" thing, as much as I view it as a "human" thing.

2. Feb 28, 2014 at 6:13 PM
    cheeseit

cheeseit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    Just gonna throw this out there.
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.hi...s/130408 Rialto AXON Flex Cambridge Study.pdf
    87.5% reduction in complaints and 59% less use of force incidents when LEO's are wearing cameras.
    I agree with you about it not being a cop thing but a human thing. Even if doesn't completely solve everything I think it's pretty easy to see that it would be helpful for everyone.

It sucks that there are issues with the audio and video though. Maybe it's just because it's only an early prototype and it will improve with time?

3. Mar 1, 2014 at 11:47 AM
    egres

egres Well-Known Member

Member:
    DELCO PA
    Vehicle:
    13 singel cab 2X4 manual 17K before tax:)
    Bench-seat covers $180 (Can’t believe it’s not leather),Bed Liner $375 (Bed rug), Roof rack $180 (Rhino-rack 2500 Series, plus DK clamps and pads), Modified Bed extender $85 (Extend-A-Truck 944 Truck Bed Extender), Hood lift assist $80 (RedlineTuning), Hood light $53 (tacomaworld.com “tacodane”), Hitch receiver $120 (Curt Manufacturing 13323 Class III Receiver), T connector for trailer $43 (CURT Manufacturing 55513 T-Connector), Manuel tailgate lock $30 (gatekeeper tailgate lock), Tailgate assist $28 (Sachs SG329900EZ Lift Support), Tailgate lock $67 (Pop & Lock Tailgate Lock Tailgate Lock PL5301), Spare tire lock $12 (Trimax ST30 Trimaflex Spare Tire Cable Lock), Hardwired battery float charger $20 (Schumacher SE-1-12S-CA Fully Automatic Onboard Battery Charger - 1.5 Amps) , Vin # Glass etching $33 (vinguard.org), Easy oil drain plug $30 (Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valve), Floor mats $80 (Husky Liners 2-Piece Front Liner 2-Piece Front Liner), out of space :)
    To Ironpig AKA angree monkey: Watch this, talk about good cops. I take a bullet for guy like that. More cops like him and less cocky "shut the f**k up, I don't care about law" cops. This encounter should be shown on local news.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1G1IscWi58

4. Mar 1, 2014 at 12:25 PM
    tacomakid96

tacomakid96 Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Out n' about
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    Airbags, Projectors, Bilsteins front and rear, FM 50 series, Leer canopy, 265/75/16 Duratrac's...
    I don't know how some of you can go on the defensive for the firefighter? A off duty cop can arrest anyone at any time. This guy was in the wrong otherwise he would not have ran. It was all routine for the officer until the firefighter started banging his head on the concrete, so if you can sit behind your computer and say that the cop acted out of line and the badge got to his head and ignorant comments like that then I hope you get in the same situation one day. Because I promise you that you will be doing the same to protect your life. Some of you people are absolutely pathetic..

5. Mar 1, 2014 at 12:33 PM
    Smooth Operator

Smooth Operator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    G
    Central, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport / Long Bed
    None
    People standing idle, mouthing off their pretentious ideals, not having any knowledge of the reason for the officer doing his job. A simple plea for help, had they acted none of this would of happened. Instead they just keep filming what will be a life altering event.
    Being American these days is a disgusting shame. Truly heartbreaking.

Also, just because he's a firefighter, doesn't mean he's a saint and should get special treatment.

6. Mar 1, 2014 at 12:36 PM
    tacomakid96

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Out n' about
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    Airbags, Projectors, Bilsteins front and rear, FM 50 series, Leer canopy, 265/75/16 Duratrac's...
    This is the world we live in today, any self respecting American that I know would have put the damn camera down and gone over there and helped the officer subdue the suspect.

7. Mar 1, 2014 at 12:46 PM
    egres

egres Well-Known Member

Member:
    DELCO PA
    Vehicle:
    Bench-seat covers $180 (Can’t believe it’s not leather),Bed Liner $375 (Bed rug), Roof rack $180 (Rhino-rack 2500 Series, plus DK clamps and pads), Modified Bed extender $85 (Extend-A-Truck 944 Truck Bed Extender), Hood lift assist $80 (RedlineTuning), Hood light $53 (tacomaworld.com “tacodane”), Hitch receiver $120 (Curt Manufacturing 13323 Class III Receiver), T connector for trailer $43 (CURT Manufacturing 55513 T-Connector), Manuel tailgate lock $30 (gatekeeper tailgate lock), Tailgate assist $28 (Sachs SG329900EZ Lift Support), Tailgate lock $67 (Pop & Lock Tailgate Lock Tailgate Lock PL5301), Spare tire lock $12 (Trimax ST30 Trimaflex Spare Tire Cable Lock), Hardwired battery float charger $20 (Schumacher SE-1-12S-CA Fully Automatic Onboard Battery Charger - 1.5 Amps) , Vin # Glass etching $33 (vinguard.org), Easy oil drain plug $30 (Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valve), Floor mats $80 (Husky Liners 2-Piece Front Liner 2-Piece Front Liner), out of space :)
    At what point in the video did officer ask for help?

8. Mar 1, 2014 at 2:56 PM
    Buckoma

Buckoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Buckeye, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 TRD 4x4 Ext Cab V6 Manual
    Does really it matter? About the point the officer was getting his ass beat down probably would have been a good time to jump in.

It bothers me that people stand around when stuff goes down. Seems like people today more than ever are stupefied drones, about the most these people can do is take out their phone and record like a pavlovian dog. Mass psychosis.

9. Mar 1, 2014 at 3:15 PM
    DonNH

DonNH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    90 xcab>01dcsb>14dclb sport

I can see where having them call 911 for backup would have been a good thing to do. However, the whole incident from the time they started filming to the end was, I believe, less than a minute. From the time the subject got on top and started beating the cop until he was shot was just a few seconds. Realistically I don't see how these bystanders could have had any effect on the situation.

I can't imagine very many scenarios where having civilian bystanders jump into an altercation like this would be looked at as a good thing -- especially by the cop who now has additional participants in the situation with unknown intentions and abilities.
    I would think staying out of the way and calling 911 is the best course of action in 99% of any conflict situation.

10. Mar 1, 2014 at 3:42 PM
    egres

egres Well-Known Member

Member:
    DELCO PA
    Vehicle:
    Other member beat me to the punch, thing go down hill about 15-18 seconds before shot. Very small window of time. Any time before that, if you have approached you probably would have very negative response from the officer. "get the f88K back" or something like that. If officer said HELP ME PLEASE, i think average American would jump to action.

11. Mar 1, 2014 at 5:36 PM
    Buckoma

Buckoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Buckeye, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 TRD 4x4 Ext Cab V6 Manual
    You're probably right about this situation although if someone tackled the perp when he started wailing things may have turned out better. I guess my statement was more about these situations in general, when people just record or ignore something instead of helping someone. As far as the bold statement, I think 99% is way too high and it's on a case by case basis. I have a pretty strong sense of citizenship which compels me to action if I believe the situation merits.

12. Mar 1, 2014 at 5:43 PM
    tacomakid96

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Out n' about
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    They recorded it because they are anti-cop, that's why she was arguing in the first place "what did he even do!?" and "look at his aggressive stance." They were going to make a big deal out of this incident even if shots weren't fired.

13. Mar 1, 2014 at 5:55 PM
    12DblCab

12DblCab I don't know what to write here

Member:
    South
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport "Pyrite Mica"
    If I saw someone wrestling a uniformed officer, I would stop whatever I was doing and help the officer after I made it clear I was going to help him by yelling it. If the officer is winning, the other guy will be subdued and arrested. He will still get his day in court. If the officer loses, there's no telling what's going to happen. Will the other guy walk away, or will he take it a step further and go for the officer's weapons after he can no longer resist? Kudos to the officer for having the balls and awareness to recognize when he was about to lose the fight and end it. I wish he was in better shape and had super powers like everyone thinks happens when you put on a uniform, but he couldn't win.

I wish I could hit the person videotaping in the face with a brick for standing there doing nothing. The deceased, whether a fireman or not, sounds like a real turd for fighting a uniformed officer. He obviously couldn't control his alcohol intake, and it got him into a situation he wouldn't walk away from. Adults shouldn't act like that when drinking. I've been fall down drunk plenty of times, but I never had the mentality to fight an officer.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  14. Mar 1, 2014 at 8:36 PM
    Agent Smith

Agent Smith Always outnumbered, never outgunned

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Offroad Ivan Stewart Edition
    Toytec lift,FJ Anthracite wheels wrapped in BFG A/T 265/75/16's,WAAG Brush Guard, IPF 868's,sleeved fog lights
    I had to process a crime scene at a bar, my first solo crime scene BTW, where a guy was killed with one punch to his melon. That's right, one hit killed the guy, dropped like a ton of bricks according to witnesses. If the officer felt like he was going unconscious, who the fuck are you to say otherwise?

This is the only line of work where people who have never done the job think they know exactly how to do the job.

15. Mar 1, 2014 at 9:51 PM
    tigerfan00

tigerfan00 BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dunkin Donuts
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD 4x4
    And we are gonna end it right here

:thumbsup:

16. Mar 1, 2014 at 9:54 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
To Top