1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cordless Weed Eater Experience?

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by kingston73, May 10, 2010.

1. May 18, 2010 at 9:48 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    love this thread. when i bought my home i went to OSH and bought a yard man 4-stroke line trimmer. hung it up lovingly in my garage. some kid ran in and stole it. i saw him sprinting down the street...WTF? i didnt even fill out the warranty card for him. i figured it was KARMA from my mis-spent youth, spending too much time in other people's garages. went to the store, and bought another one. salesperson was laughing at me. this time i started it up, touched it to my lawn, and found a rock..the rock flew up and blasted the windshield out of my truck!! WTF? i hung it up. first time i used it, i help the old lady across the street clear her garden. the line reel, spun off the shaft, and flew like frisbee into the empty lot next door. WTF? i gave the tool to a co-worker..and bought a STIHL. best decision ever. first it isnt haunted like the yardman..second..it cuts my disaster of a yard with ease. i keep the air cleaner clean, and the two stroke power is a god send. buy the best you can afford. buy it once. if you expect heavy duty work..buy a straight shaft line trimmer. less comfort for the user, but heavier duty, and longer lasting.

2. May 18, 2010 at 9:55 AM
    bigsur

bigsur Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Big Sur, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 4dr 4x4 short bed
    I love my 4-stroke Ryobi. One of the only gas powered tools I have purchased from Home Depot and was not disappointed later. Maybe too much money, but I have used this thing to create trails on mountainsides. It cuts through anything and never has problems starting or staying on. String feeds great, never had a problem in about 2 years of weekly work on serious brush and weeds.

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-O...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

3. May 18, 2010 at 10:18 AM
    Lost_Humanity

Lost_Humanity Bad decisions make great stories.

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    I just went through this whole process Saturday.

I have 1/3 acre with tons of roots, stumps, vegetation, etc. My brother has about the same size yard with less technical difficulty. He has an electric and says he rarely uses it anymore -- just gets on his hands and knees and pulls.

I said the hell with that and got a Troy-Built 4-cycle straight shaft and I love it.

4. May 18, 2010 at 10:18 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Hmmm, lots to think about. I was all set to buy the Ryobi 18V, but now I'm thinking maybe spending a bit more and going gas. Echo makes a straight shaft for $220 that seems to get some good reviews. I basically have about 250 ft of fence line, around the house, a small shed for the riding mower, and several trees in the backyard. I'm absolutely not going with a corded trimmer no matter what, and I need a new drill eventually which is why I was leaning toward the Ryobi since batteries are interchangable. How's Ryobi rate for cordless drills? Or should I just go with the Echo and get a better brand of drill later?

5. May 18, 2010 at 10:30 AM
    BRP27

BRP27 When I grow up I want to be just like Me

Member:
    So far south in Texas my feet are in salt water
    Vehicle:
    04 4X4 Tacoma SR5
    3 in Ultimate ToyTec, set @ 2.5 in. AAL PINCH Weld Mod ( beat the pinch weld over inside the fender) Painted the pinch weld on bottom of cab Black Hi Lift Knock off
    I liked gas except for repairing carbs and carb hoses because the gas ate the hoses. But the power can't be beat, so I bought a Propane 4-cycle unit. it is quiet and starts easy, and no carberator.

6. May 18, 2010 at 10:39 AM
    rob1

rob1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    Indigo Blue DblCab 4X4 Long Bed TRD Sport SR5
    Tail gate mod, locking gas cap, locking spare tire, rear spring tsb,Weathertech Digital fit's
    Forget everything else get a JohnDeere straight shaft commercial grade trimmer. I have had that trimmer going on now for 10 yrs. NOT ONE DANG PROBLEM!!! Best $300 bucks I've spent. I use to own 1 acre and it NEVER died on me it worked like a champion!!;) (still does)

7. May 18, 2010 at 11:55 AM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
    How much does a propane cost? and how do get the propane cartriges refilled or replaced?

8. May 18, 2010 at 11:59 AM
    kingston73

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    I was just about to ask about the propane too. Ace Hardware near me carries the Lehr propane straight shaft trimmer, same price as the echo one I was looking at.

9. May 18, 2010 at 12:30 PM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
    Yo I just Googled and searched under Propane Powered Weed Trimmers Reviews and some were great while again some were very bad,and there seems to be a coupler you can buy to refill the tanks off of your propane Grill tank it all seems pretty sketchy though,I think Im getting the Stihl Electric cord or the cheaper Black&Decker as much as I hate to drag the freakin cord it seems like these are best overall cost,maintainence,power,longevity my yard is only 50'x70' I hate dragging a cord is my only problem. I think you might be taking a gamble on the Propane one whereas a Stihl Gas or an Stihl or Black&Decker Electric cord are great for the money depending on yard size check those reviews out.Also Husqavarna 323L gas seems to get good reviewsbut Pricey at Lowes

10. May 18, 2010 at 1:45 PM
    BRP27

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 4X4 Tacoma SR5
    3 in Ultimate ToyTec, set @ 2.5 in. AAL PINCH Weld Mod ( beat the pinch weld over inside the fender) Painted the pinch weld on bottom of cab Black Hi Lift Knock off
    They are around $200 and the cartridge is a standard "Coleman" or generic one sold everywhere. They use the same propane for lanterns.

11. May 18, 2010 at 1:46 PM
    BRP27

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 4X4 Tacoma SR5
    I bought mine from ACE Lehr makes it. I like the unit

12. May 18, 2010 at 1:56 PM
    kingston73

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    I thought I said this already, but I wanted to avoid the gas 2 stroke mainly because mixing the oil and gas is a PITA, and I haven't found a string trimmer that uses the same mix as my chain saw so I'd have to keep the fuel in 2 separated and labeled containers, and I'm not that organized. My chain saw calls for a 40:1 ratio, and every gas trimmer I've seen looks like its 50:1

I like the idea of the propane, especially after looking at the refill attachment. If that works, it'd be great because I could buy 2 canisters and keep reusing them, and always have 1 as a backup.

13. May 18, 2010 at 1:58 PM
    bigef12

bigef12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner SR5 4x4 V6
    Removed that stupid "Sport Bumper Trim"
    I've got a gas powered Shindaiwa. Amazing trimmer. Can't beat it.

14. May 18, 2010 at 2:20 PM
    aficianado

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    back to bone stock.
    weird on the oil/gas mix. 40:1 for the chainsaw? what type of saw do you have? my echo chainsaw uses 50:1. as does my (echo)hedgetrimmer..and line trimmer. if i ever buy and move into a condo..i'm making some bad ass 2-stroke skateboards!!!

i had a shindawa hedgetrimmer..but had to give it back (kicking and screaming) it was badass.

15. May 18, 2010 at 2:26 PM
    jamesglynn

jamesglynn James

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road, Dble Cab, Magnetic Gray
    I have had a echo with straight shaft for about 5 years. Still cranks with 2 pulls. Will cut anything. Gas mixing has not been a problem. Make sure you use the .8 line, it is what the commercial guys use around here, you will be adding line much less. You won't regret the purchase.

16. May 18, 2010 at 3:32 PM
    kingston73

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    My saw is a poulan pro, it says right on the gas cap 40:1
    How much can you vary, if at all, the oil mix? Could I use 50:1 mix in my saw and not hurt things? If I could, I really am leaning now toward the Echo. I went to 2 different Ace stores near me, and neither stocks the propane trimmer or any parts for it, so that's out.

17. May 18, 2010 at 3:59 PM
    86ceeten

86ceeten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    NW Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road PreRunner
    Limo tint, 18x10 Diamo Karat, Toyo 285-60's, Rear TSB, 5100's all around, front at 2.5", Debadged, Sound System (evolving)
    I use around 40-1 in everything. Fk mixing up all those different ratios.

18. May 18, 2010 at 5:31 PM
    kingston73

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    I answered my own question, looking at my saw's manual, it says you can use lower but not higher, so I'd be able to use the 40:1 in the Echo. Found a local, non-HomeDepLowes that sells em' for the same price, so I'll be going there this week.

19. May 18, 2010 at 6:45 PM
    Marc M

Marc M Dirty White Boy

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Washington, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD O/R Dbl-Cab
    TRD Cat-Back, TRD CAI, 3" Lift, ATX Chambers, Color matched Grille and Door Handles, Scooped Hood, GrillCraft upper and lower, DTRL, Foglight Mod, Redline Hood Struts, 20% Tint all around, SGII, Blacked out dash, Extang Full-Tilt, etc, etc, etc.
    With proper care a gas string trimmer should last for many years. When I was 16 I went to the nearest warehouse store, Service Merchandise and bought my first lawn tool.

I bought the biggest baddest trimmer they had. It was an IDC 580 with a straight shaft, 18" dual line tap feed head and included brush blade.

I used the crap out of this trimmer up until 3 years ago when the fuel lines decided to crack and I couldn't find the proper size to replace it.

Now that's 21 years of problem free use. I also only had to replace the bump feed head one time.

I went out and purchased an Echo SRM-210SB from a local lawn equipment dealer. It's a been a great replacement so far. It starts in less than 3 pulls and has plenty of power. It's a straight shaft with a split body allowing me to add multiple attachments. This way I can have several different tools and only have to maintain one power unit.

I bought the hedge trimmer attachment with it and that sumbitch kicks ass.

Oh, and as far as mixing fuel, I keep 3 different cans.

A 1 gallon can for the echo string trimmer.
    A 2 gallon can for my 3 Lawn-Boys, Homelite blower-vac and Mantis tiller.
    A 2.5 gallon can for my Stihl Farm Boss chainsaw.

I use the proprietary one-shot oil cans for all the equipment and the various sized gas cans make the perfect mixes. (pushes staples button)

Marc M

20. May 19, 2010 at 7:56 AM
    aficianado

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    back to bone stock.
    awesome! i have run 40:1 in my tools...a tad smokier, but from what i have read or been told, this is an added level of lube/protection?

Products Discussed in

To Top