1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Costco gas....... yeah or neh

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rhowell, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Oct 15, 2011 at 8:35 AM
    Swanson52

Swanson52 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Best post in this thread. Additionally, what differentiates seasonal gasses is the RVP (Reid vapor pressure); lower rvp in the summer and higher in the winter. This is due to the fact that gasoline expands when it's hot so the summer months require a lower RVP (both physically and for purpose of satisfying the EPA mandates). All other variables (end point, gravity, octane and sulfur content) stay the same.

2. Oct 16, 2011 at 3:06 AM
    UndefinedTaco

UndefinedTaco I'll eat all your food.

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    It's an 89 Toyota Pickup. I got some stuff done to it.. FJ axles going under it soon.
    shut up knocker who repped me.

the member know's what I was talking about

go pull a tampon out and replace it

3. Oct 16, 2011 at 5:23 AM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
    No not all gas is the same. Don't count on the epa to make sure your gas is good either. Their rules and regulations for gas were made in 1995. I've played with different stations on my motorcycle. I had my friend drive it away, fill up at a station without telling me which. After a year we found the arco, and no name gas stations would get me 95-105 miles per tank (3.3 gal). 76 and Chevron got me 135-145 miles per tank. The bike also ran better with those stations.

I treat my truck like I have all my vehicles since then. The difference in price between arco and chevron tends to be 10-15 cents max. That's an extra 3 bucks per tank, but I have the assurance of a toptier station. Here is some additional info on the subject http://www.toptiergas.com/

4. Oct 16, 2011 at 6:32 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    That's patently false because EPA phased in their requirements for reducing sulfur in years 2004-2007. Rules regarding E15 are still being changed. Nobody ever said EPA's keeping your gas good. Indeed: it is to be increasingly counted on to keep our gas bad, but consistently bad.

1995 is the year they started making rules regarding reformulated gasolines.

Toptier sounds more like a sales gimmick than anything else. Read the words carefully, use some critical reading skills. You don't need to consistently use a gas with a high levels of detergent additive. If it's important to you, just dump in a bottle of fuel system cleaner that contains PEA at oil change and avoid the expense of burning unecessarily expensive gas. That works far better for removing and keeping deposits removed anyway.

But, in the end what's good is what makes you feel good. Enjoy your favorite gasoline! That's the beauty of the free market and why I own stock in cigarette companies even though I'd never put that shite in my mouth.

5. Oct 16, 2011 at 7:27 AM
    Swanson52

Member:
    The EPA only dictates the sulfur and rvp of the gas; that has very little to do with the quality. The ASTM sets the standards for measurables like end point, and that was established in the 60's. The EPA also has NOTHING to do with assuring your gas meets all the specified criteria for quality.

Every drop of gas shipped to every station will meet the octane requirement for the grade, the rvp standard for the season, and the ASTM standard for end point. Period.

Want me to really blow your mind? All gas has a little bit of ULSD #2 mixed in with it.

Edit to add: that link is purely marketing bullshit.

6. Oct 16, 2011 at 7:55 AM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    Did you know the standard octane level in gas in Europe is 95, and that the only other option they have is Plus98? :) vroom vroom ! :)

7. Oct 16, 2011 at 8:16 AM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    The EU does not use the same octane rating system as the US... we use an 'average' of the RON and MON. I believe EU uses RON only, but could be wrong.

Also, don't equate octane with 'more powerful gas'. That's another of the incorrect beliefs people have acquired by being educated by advertising.

8. Oct 16, 2011 at 8:19 AM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    Oh I have no illusion of knowing what I'm talking about. I just like throwing numbers out there like every good pundit out there ;-)

9. Oct 16, 2011 at 8:31 AM
    Chriskn1690

Chriskn1690 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Springfield,MA
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    K&N intake and flowmaster 40 exhaust.

10. Oct 16, 2011 at 8:56 AM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    I don't know that's entirely fair to say. I have to imagine the increasingly harsh penalties refiners face for failing to meet EPA rules pretty much force refiners to follow stricter quality practices than they might previously. The spin off would be a higher level of quality.

At issue, I suppose, is what constitutes a 'quality' fuel within the permissible range allowed by the rules, ASTM standards and refining technology.

11. Oct 16, 2011 at 8:57 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Quite a mix of informed and oblivious posts in this thread.

Costco gas is fine. It is always about .20 cheaper than nearby stations. And the 3% rebate with Amex is great. I avoid lines by going at less busy times. And I avoid non-Costco stations by being aware of my tank level and errand route for the day. Not that hard.

The only thing I do not like about their stations is that on the pump buttons for each grade, there is a blue light. Once the pump is ready and you need to select the grade, only the premium button light flashes. I think this is a devious marketing ploy to get people to select premium, whether they need it or not.

12. Oct 16, 2011 at 9:05 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    After running Pemex for years in my trucks, I know a little about inconsistent fuel sources.
    I have found Toyota 4 cyls run fine on low octane fuel. Our manual states 87 or higher, so my only rule of thumb is I run 87 and I try to fill up at newer built gas stations regardless of brand, but whoever has the lowest prices. :cool:

13. Oct 16, 2011 at 9:14 AM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    Yup, that part sucked

But we used it for camp fire fuel for a summer, i managed to get my hands on about 40 Litres of the stuff, twas a good summer :D

14. Oct 16, 2011 at 9:19 AM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    When I was in the AF the flightline guys would always refill their Zippo's with JP4. They claimed it was the best fuel for the lighter.

I didn't smoke and never verified their claims.

15. Oct 16, 2011 at 11:34 AM
    Swanson52

Member:
    What I meant was the quality is not ensured by the EPA, only mandated. They're regulation but they don't do anything "hands on".

The refineries typically have more stringent guidelines than the EPA requires to ensure they have some "wiggle room". The refiners I deal with won't ship a product even close to off spec.

16. Oct 16, 2011 at 12:34 PM
    Chriskn1690

Chriskn1690 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Springfield,MA
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    K&N intake and flowmaster 40 exhaust.
    Haha, back in June my FBO had a group of four F-18 Marines come in, and they stayed at our FBO. We have Air National Guard F-15s based at our airport. Long story short the guard base didn't have enough room to house these four F-18's, so we had the honor of taking care of them for an entire weekend. We got to fuel them and everything it was really cool, the pilots were nice as hell too. But anyways, I digress, everytime we fueled the F-18s we had to get out or 5 gallon buckets and place them in various spots underneath every one of them. They were there Friday, Saturday and Sunday, so over the weekend we accumulated at least 50 gallons that were just pissing out of the damn jets. We can re-use fuel according to FAA regulations, so somehow all this jet fuel mysteriously disappeared the next weekend. I had no part in using it, but I know who did, and all I can say is he had a hell of a camp fire up in some mountains in Western Massachusetts lol. . . So yes, it is good for camp fires, but working with it day in and day out really blows.

17. Oct 16, 2011 at 8:17 PM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
    Thats the point. The epa is not hands on. If you believe everyone, everywhere follows the rules then go ahead and live in your ignorant bliss. I envy you. The problem is I still have the numbers to back my claim. Cheaper stations such as arco were getting me 28-31mpg. Chevron gets me 41-43mpg. I've been challenged by my friends on this at least half a dozen times. One time I even drained my tank, put in one gallon of arco, drove til empty. Loaded it on a trailer, drove back to the same spot, filled it with a gallon of chevron and it took me 10.6 miles further. The base gas may be the same, but the additives do make a difference. As for the top tier, My friend's dad used to own a 76 station. He used to get tested monthly just to make sure the additives were at the correct amounts. This was in addition to any other tests.

18. Oct 16, 2011 at 8:39 PM
    Swanson52

Member:
    So working in the refined petro products industry is less conclusive than your non-scientific test results? Got it.

Anyone who posts a marketing link as a factual basis for evaluating "top tier gas" has zero credibility. But hey, I'm sure you know the differences between gasolines. What test did your buddy's dad run on his gas? I'd sure like to know the methods.

19. Oct 16, 2011 at 8:43 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon Musk Moderator

Member:
    Lol that's sounds like a lot of work to prove a point

20. Oct 16, 2011 at 9:39 PM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
    why people soo paranoid for?

Products Discussed in

To Top