1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

could be back soon... What would you pay for your parents tacoma?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Taylor1993, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Jun 4, 2012 at 5:41 PM
    trmarshall1

trmarshall1 The Least Interesting Man In The World

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Supercharged
    4" Pro-Comp Lift, TRD cat back exhaust, grey wire mod, clutch pedal linear spring mod
    do eet, do eet now:annoyed:

2. Jun 4, 2012 at 5:45 PM
    RtacomaN

RtacomaN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Colorado
    Jump on it.

3. Jun 4, 2012 at 6:04 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    I ran your truck's config through KBB using a Denver zip code, and it shows a $5400 for a private-party sale in "good" condition. Treat business like business and offer between $5000-$5400 depending on how much repair the truck needs. It will seem like splitting hairs once the mod bug bites you again. :devil:

4. Jun 4, 2012 at 6:05 PM
    RtacomaN

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Colorado
    What features and mileage did you plug in?
    OP what does the truck have on it?

5. Jun 4, 2012 at 6:08 PM
    06ryan27

06ryan27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Aiken, SC
    Vehicle:
    12 DBL 4x4 SPORT
    3" RBP lift, anytime fogs
    My dad just gave me his 99 chevy 2500 4x4 with 113k on it, so I could still have a pulling truck after selling my 07 z71. Maybe tell em to give you the toyota? Gotta tell em how it is, haha

6. Jun 4, 2012 at 6:13 PM
    RtacomaN

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Colorado
    I plugged it in with a westslope CO zip and got 59xx good condition. wierd how area changes it I guess.

7. Jun 4, 2012 at 6:24 PM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4

I just purchased my Dads '07 Honda Ridgeline for KBB private sale minus the body shop estimate for small repairs ( the reason it sold,81 years young and Florida says no more :( ).....Family is just that ..FAMILY ;)

50k miles and still in excellent shape ( Honda maintained) for a 5 year old vehicle,why not keep it in the family and when the time comes I will trade up towards another CUV or a 4-Runner......

Point being........Yes he is your Dad, BUT did he keep that Yota this long for you to "beat him up" on price ????....You decide...:cool:

P.S. My grand daughter has laid claim to my '02 Tacoma (61k) and likes the Honda because the Taco now drives even less ( 40 miles a week)...even helps with all repairs including oil changes; she is 6 years old :)

8. Jun 4, 2012 at 6:58 PM
    RtacomaN

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Colorado
    I think his dad has a white tacoma that he drives/ keeps correct?
    the one he wants just sits but yea do you think he is beating him up on price?

9. Jun 4, 2012 at 7:03 PM
    Taylor1993

Taylor1993 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    sold my Tacoma, need to buy a 1st gen now =]
    Thanks for all the help and input guys.

Yes, Dad has a really nice lifted titan that he doesn't drive nearly at all. he bought it and said its too flashy for him. haha bought that white tacoma pretty soon after I sold my 06. We were looking for a replacement vehicle for me. his white one I thought looked ugly because owner didn't have it cleaned up so I bought the dodge. Drove home one day to see this amazingly polished up white tacoma. Dad sure did show me haha.. needless to say that I sold the dodge, wished I would have taken that deal but it all works out because the gold one is in real good shape and has sat like all year with few miles put on it. oh.. and its a 5 speed...:D

But yea the gold one just sits and parents think we have too many vehicles so I could be (helping them get rid of one by buying it.) in a sense haha.

10. Jun 4, 2012 at 7:05 PM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    I read that BUT why did they let the GOLD one sit ????:rolleyes:

Price is what 2 parties agree on.hell up here in New England you can drive 100 miles and get a 2-4000 dollar difference in comparible vehicles especially YOTA's.....;)

11. Jun 4, 2012 at 7:09 PM
    ataylor04

ataylor04 Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    04 DC TRD 4X4
    One factor no one has mentioned is, "How financially secure are your parents? Will low balling them cause them to go without something? Or is money no issue for them? Are you a naturally mooching child or willing to be respectful to your parents and not expect them to take care of you for the rest of their lives? There are more aspects to think of than sipmly should I? :facepalm:Or shouldn't I?

12. Jun 5, 2012 at 4:11 AM
    Taylor1993

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    If only you didn't hit the nail on the head there. Both parents were "asked to resign" from school district after 20+ years. We will be okay , but def a lifestyle change. Kudos to you for identifying my main reason for asking what you'd pay. It all comes down to who has to be the bigger person I guess

13. Jun 5, 2012 at 7:37 AM
    JSFoster75

JSFoster75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Bluff City, TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
    Too many to list.

I think we were all assuming that since your parents had several vehicles that they were doing okay financially... If you can afford it, and they need the help, then it would be better to pay them more for the vehicle in my opinion...

14. Jun 5, 2012 at 11:21 AM
    Day Cowboy

Day Cowboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Day Cowboy
    MS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TX TRD 4x4
    AFE Pro Dry Air Filter, Toytec Ultimate 3' Lift, LR UCAs, WeatherTech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers
    Split the difference between low kbb and high kbb. That is your buying price to your parents! It should be somewhat of a mechanically sound vehicle if it just sat around. You might have to put a little into it to get it back into shape, but hey, isn't that what 90% of us on here are looking for anyway after we get a truck. To "fix it up" how we want it?! You still get a decent deal on a truck and it helps your parents out too.

15. Jun 5, 2012 at 12:50 PM
    Taylor1993

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
  16. Jun 5, 2012 at 3:43 PM
    RtacomaN

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Colorado
    Hmm tough one, either way will help them out. If they need to lose a vehicle then you would be filling that void. But would the extra grand help out even more? I guess either way what son would you be if you didn't give them financial help regardless if you bought the truck. The truck shouldn't be the factor of how much you help.

17. Jun 5, 2012 at 5:58 PM
    ataylor04

ataylor04 Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    04 DC TRD 4X4
    Hey Taylor,
    Please tell your parents they have my complete sympathy; it's a dangerous time to be a teacher. My advice for you would be to compromise between what they will settle for and what it's worth. You mentioned mom would be okay with $5K and you'd like to maybe pay less but it's worth more. I suggest a medium compromise of $5,250, or $5500. That seems like a respectful decision for both parties involved. Yes, you could probably pay less but they could get more selling to a non-relative. What feels right to you?

18. Jun 6, 2012 at 4:14 AM
    Taylor1993

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Colorado
    Vehicle:

Yes it is, Its a lot more then just letting them go too. The school district got some new people on the board who worked their way up. Anyway, my dad had to go on medical leave for quite some time and they booted him ? lol But my mom who tried to defend her Husband eventually had the district turn and attack her job. Even revoked her masters which she worked hard for balancing 5 kids . Needless to say Im not happy with them.
    As for price I have helped them out with money before. I don't have a problem with it. I already have ordered parts that the tacoma needs to be restored to new. It does need some bigger things done but it is a very clean truck . The point is whether I want to "help" them by offering more or like collegetacoma said is just help them outright. I agree that I don't know if my only help I do would be a thousand on a truck if that makes sense. So I don't know if offering more on the truck is the right way to help or if its a anything helps situation.

19. Jun 6, 2012 at 5:43 PM
    ataylor04

ataylor04 Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    04 DC TRD 4X4
    I've seen school districts do some really stupid things, but canning two 20-year educators is beyond rediculous. I don't understand how they could revoke your mom's Master's Degree as a punitive measure. It sounds like their union is not doing enough for their rights.

PS I formally apologize for the previous implied "mooching" remark, you sound like a good kid.

20. Jun 8, 2012 at 3:21 AM
    Taylor1993

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    I didn't see a mooching comment?

Products Discussed in

To Top