1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Could the Air Force guys help me here???

Discussion in 'Military' started by tacomathunder, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Apr 26, 2012 at 6:36 PM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    C-130s are pretty sweet. They are really a workhorse of an airframe. Some of the features of they have are down right genious. And then other parts make you think lockheed was on crack.

2. May 14, 2012 at 8:43 AM
    tacomathunder

tacomathunder [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    pop-a-lock on tailgate, tailgate damper by ez down, extang platinum snap tonneau cover, rampage LED light bar, etrailer wiring harness, black led tail lights, tsi clutter catcher center console, griffin itrip ipod player,BHLM,35W DDM Tuning hid's 5000K, Day Time Running Light Mod, New Sony Stereo
    So I need some major advice now because im going to be making a decision very soon... I have not been able to get a job because of this shit economy, and my food allergies... so I was thinking that maybe ilike should join the AF reserves.... my question is can they deploy me ? Because im still in college and would really like to finish before I get sent off... I.feel like if they somehow promised not to deploy me, id be better off... I feel this way because id have a job, id be getting experience in the AF which I have wanted to join anyway, and ill ne able to stay fit and such...anyone have any advice on that plan?

3. May 14, 2012 at 11:33 AM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    pop-a-lock on tailgate, tailgate damper by ez down, extang platinum snap tonneau cover, rampage LED light bar, etrailer wiring harness, black led tail lights, tsi clutter catcher center console, griffin itrip ipod player,BHLM,35W DDM Tuning hid's 5000K, Day Time Running Light Mod, New Sony Stereo
  4. May 14, 2012 at 12:20 PM
    drubacca117

drubacca117 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Eglin AFB, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '12 PreRunner V6 SR5 Double Cab
    In the AF reserves, you could deploy, although the Air National Guard and Active Duty would go before you. Also, the Reserves meet one weekend a month, and two weeks a year. There are "full time" slots in some cases, but if you have no income except normal reserve duty, you won't survive.

5. May 14, 2012 at 1:14 PM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    For now i just need the bare necessities, like gas and food... my dad can help me with the rest like he has...he just told me that its time to carry my weight and pay for some of my stuff, and i wholeheartedly agree.... so i thought why not start in the AF early since ill eventually be joining anyway

6. May 14, 2012 at 1:23 PM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    Agreed.

I was active duty and then went guard. your career choice will be the biggest deciding factor of how often you deploy.

My personal opinion is that everyone should do their first enlistment as active duty. biggest reason i have for saying this is that your training will move faster. Guard and reserves only get that one weekend a month and 2 weeks a year to train. This is all while doing the manditory computer based training, going to commander calls, going up to supply/medical/mpf to get other crap done. By the end of drill you have left-clicked 78% of the drill, waited in line for 10%, and actually get training on your AFSC core tasks a whole 12%. And this is assuming you don't have to pee in a cup that weekend.

All of that aside, the guard and reserves have among the greatest minds and workers in their respective career fields. They pay is hardly enough to cover the gas money to drive to drill, so if you are looking for a job/paycheck, training, a roof over your head, and free school i would go active duty.

7. May 14, 2012 at 1:44 PM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab

well thats the only thing, I'm already in school and only have like 4-5 semesters left for my bachelors...so theres no point in free school at this point... idk if id have the time for active since i am currently a full time student, with classes monday-thursday.

8. May 14, 2012 at 1:47 PM
    drubacca117

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Eglin AFB, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Then honestly I would probably get a partime job if I were you, and add the Reserves on top of that. I know there are programs to transition from the Reserves to Active Duty, but the Reserves alone wouldn't give you much more than a couple hundred bucks a month (except for when you go to BMT and technical school)...

9. May 14, 2012 at 1:53 PM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    damn, I'm just trying to think of all the ways i can get my feet wet before i join after college, id rather have some experience than to apply for OCS as a greener than green guy when it comes to the type of work involved

10. May 14, 2012 at 2:58 PM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    felt like i should post this up here because there were some doubters in this thread not too long ago as to whether or not the AF truly got it's hands dirty and airmen were outside the wire bringing the fight to the enemy. i'll be the first to admit that when i experienced the AF outside special tactics i felt it was quite soft, but there are still some warriors within the ranks. HOO YAH!

Hero_Mark_Forester_6c16b3160480078b69dbca3d6c816792fe762998.jpg

U.S. Air Force Senior Airman Mark Forester, 29, of Tuscaloosa, Alabama, assigned to the 21st Special Tactics Squadron, based in Pope Air Force Base, North Carolina, died on September 29, 2010, while conducting combat operations in Uruzgan province, Afghanistan. He is survived by his parents Ray and Pat, and siblings Terri, David, Joseph and Thad.

11. May 14, 2012 at 3:32 PM
    drubacca117

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Eglin AFB, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Hey now! There is nothing soft about sitting on the back of an aircraft fixing something in 130 degree heat with mortars going off! I mean, being a mechanic might not be like being a Bronze Star decorated Comabat Finance troop, but it's tough!! :D

12. May 14, 2012 at 10:50 PM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    RIP, a true hero

The thing that sucks for me is that there is no cross town ROTC programs or anything where i go to college...the closest ROTC programs are 2 hours away or more... its like lose lose lol

13. May 15, 2012 at 5:40 AM
    elytravis

elytravis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Always changing...but there is no place like home.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Nautical Blue DCLB TRD Sport
    Black tube steps, Skid plate, Bilstein 6112's front and 5160's rear, Bakflip F1 folding cover, EGR raingaurds, All weather floor mats, AFE pro dry filter, BFG 265 70 R 17 KO2's.
    Most Officers that are not prior enlisted are greener than green when you start...it's called 2nd Lt. It's nothing to be ashamed of, it is a learning rank, just sometimes people give you crap for it but it's no big deal. Your training will give you the knowledge to do your job well, and experiance will make you better. If you go to the Guard or Reserves, you can deploy just like anyone else. There are positions to stay stateside Guard, but all that trouble for possibly only wanting a temp job...not worth it. If you want a job while you wait to finish your degree, get a part time job and don't commit to an AF commitment. That may lock you into a 4-6 year commitment that is hard to get out of if you want to commision. Applying to OTS in the AF when enlisted is a long hard application proccess that has to be approved by your commander who has to agree to let you go. If you enlist...8 weeks of Basic...maintenance tech school is nearly 6 more months so thats 8 months. You will get to your fist duty station and will be expected to learn your job, take required tests for carreer progression (CDC's) and then try to tell your commander that you want to leave within 6 months of arriving. It's possible, but a lot of the time the AF wants to get money out of you since they spent so much to train you.

You could apply for a civilian job at a base (active or reserve base). You will build your knowledge of military lifestyle and not be locked into any real commitment. When the time came to leave to go to the AF you would probably have a lot of support from the unit commander you work for who might also give you a letter of recomendation.

The point is if you want to enlist, do it anytime, but if you want to commision and you almost have your degree, wait it out just a little longer and finish the degree. Apply for OTS and even if you don't get accepted the first board, apply again. If you have a quality package (so to speak) you will get accepted for OTS. Give me a call if you want to talk.

Travis

14. May 15, 2012 at 8:30 PM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab

thanks for the advice, i guess it is just smarter to wait it out, then apply for OCS, I just wanted to make sure I've explored all of my options

15. May 15, 2012 at 11:09 PM
    Twizter68

Twizter68 AMS1(AW), USN retired

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Weatherford, TX and Fahad al-Ahmed, Kuwait
    Vehicle:
    08 Crew Cab Prerunner

Or grabbing a wrench out of an open toolbox in the Persian Gulf during the hot season...gloves don't even help for that kinda hot!

16. May 15, 2012 at 11:10 PM
    Twizter68

Twizter68 AMS1(AW), USN retired

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Weatherford, TX and Fahad al-Ahmed, Kuwait
    Vehicle:
    08 Crew Cab Prerunner
    Rest easy, Warrior. *salutes*

17. May 16, 2012 at 10:59 AM
    Taco Gunner

Taco Gunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab TRD Offroad
    Not totally accurate. I know plenty of folks who put a lot more than one weekend a month in. If you are aircrew, you will put in more flying than most active duty units..if you want. Also, it depends on the mission set who deploys first. It could be AFRC. There is "normal" anymore.

As for choices..here would be my list.

Air National Guard. Overall, better deal than the Reserves.

Reserves

Active Duty

18. May 16, 2012 at 12:34 PM
    drubacca117

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Eglin AFB, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Very true, just speaking from my experience. Different people see different sides of the same coin :)

19. May 16, 2012 at 8:17 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    FWIW ... I saw the USAF Jolly Green Giant teams in RVN do some amazing things when it came to rescue. Those guys would ride a "jungle penetrator" over 100' down into layers of thick green canopy. And do this while the whole team (helicopter crew & para-rescuer) was under fire. This airman reminds of those guys.

I flew CAS several times for those guys and they were unbelievable in their tenacity and dedication to the mission. I salute them all.

20. May 16, 2012 at 8:28 PM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    USAF CSAR is a very small community with in US special operations and not known too well to the public. glad to know the work is appreciated by those who know. i am honored to have been a part of it.

prolly the most notable PJ casualty of the WOT would be SRA J Cunningham. I live just 30 min from his hometown where there is a memorial to him.

RIP brother, he died fighting and carrying out the PJ motto "These things we do that others may live"

http://militarytimes.com/valor/air-force-senior-airman-jason-d-cunningham/262885

Products Discussed in

To Top