1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Could you plastidip your whole interior?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by jesusc, Jul 27, 2011.

?

painting interior

Poll closed Aug 26, 2011.
  1. duplicolor vinyl & fabric paint

16.7%
  2. VHT SP942 Vinyl Dye Black Satin Can

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Plastidip

13.6%
  4. Dont even bother

69.7%
  1. Jul 28, 2011 at 6:22 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Animal abuse!!!!

2. Jul 28, 2011 at 6:30 PM
    scocar

scocar Not one of the 10,000 Baja Edition Elite Guard

Member:
    First Name:
    Glitterdick
    In close proximity to an undisclosed location
    Vehicle:
    01 Xcab TRD 4x4 V6 Man. SR5
    OME 881s, Dakars, greasable shackles, Nitrocharger sports, extended exhaust hanger, BAMF BPV relocate, Wheeler's extended brake line, rear diff breather mod, swaybar removed, Pilot backup lights, Redline hood struts, 4Runner 5-stars, Hidden Hitch Class III, 7-pin marine-grade wiring
    Hey, I did it! I plasti-dipped my entire interior! I think it came out great! Whatcha all think?

[​IMG]

3. Jul 29, 2011 at 1:35 PM
    MartyMcfly

MartyMcfly Time Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    ROB
    Clearwater Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    07 4runner V8
    see Build page for details.
    It's only abuse if it's not consensual.

4. Jul 29, 2011 at 4:49 PM
    CanisLupus

CanisLupus Previously "MGMTacoFF"

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4WD
    Plasti-derp is good for temporary stuff like for car shows, where you want it to peel off afterwards and is bad for permanent stuff for the exact same reason. Don't do it...

5. Jul 29, 2011 at 9:19 PM
    I Liquid I

I Liquid I Well-Known Member

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    06 BSP Double Cab Long Bed
    Too many mods to list
    Here are the promised pictures. Sorry for the bad quality. I didnt have my camera and since I was working there is a mess in the truck.

Note: There is a slight mark on the drawer. That got hit with a chisel by accident... thats how well its holding up. Lol. Also, itll soon be completely blacked out, since im getting a leather interior. Also, the center console looks beefier cause I modded it with foam to make it super comfortable. Just in case it looks weird...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Jul 29, 2011 at 9:23 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Tallahassee FL
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prerunner TRD Off Road
    265/75/16 BFG A/T, 18" Magnaflow, K&N Intake Filter, Ultra-Gauge, Kobalt Toolbox, Metal Tail Light Guards, Cobra 19 and 4ft fiberglass antenna, Plasti dipped Badges/lower valance/rear bumper/grill/bullbar/ac controls, black DIN kit, JVC KD-X40, Wet Suit Seat Covers
    I want more pics. How did you do it? Just spray it with everything still installed inside the truck?

7. Jul 29, 2011 at 9:39 PM
    I Liquid I

I Liquid I Well-Known Member

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    06 BSP Double Cab Long Bed
    Too many mods to list
    Ill put up pics again when I get the leather and everything installed.

As far as the process. I took out every plastic part I wanted to paint, these trucks are pretty simple as far as taking apart goes. I washed them pretty hard and dried them. Then I sanded them with very fine sanding paper, so that the marks wouldn't really show, but it felt a bit rougher. I washed again, then applied some industrial paint cleaner, then I washed again and dried. I applied generous amounts of adhesion promoter in many fine layers. About 4 to 5 layers id say. I let it dry, then I used the duplicolor vinyl spray I mentioned later. I did about 8 to 12 coats on all the parts. Again, I was generous with the paint, but did it in fine layers. I let them all dry for 24 hours, but I would suggest 3 days.

For the parts I did not want to bother taking out of the truck, like the lower part of the dash in the sides of the truck, I just taped everything up and did the same process.

As far as maintenance, I use Meguiars Ultimate Protectant or the Quick Detailer, both for interiors of course. They dont make the parts shiny or anything, just keep them looking deep. None of the parts show wear or scratches even though I abuse this truck and so does every person that gets in it. It has been hit, scratched and harsh chemicals have spilled in it, yet the color looks perfect. The pictures dont do justice, probably because I suck at taking pics.

Im going to do this to a friends truck soon. He is just missing the doors. Ill try and post the DIY with many pics.

As far as areas you grab a lot, like the handles in the doors, imma wrap those up with leather, but the paint will work if you do it right.

To Top