1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

couple of issues

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by malander, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Dec 4, 2010 at 8:02 AM
    malander

malander [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    Vehicle:
    01 limited trd 4x4
    deck plate mod,jba cat back,bilstein 5100's,ome 883 springs, Allpro expos, allpro U-bolt flip kit, 10" Bilstien 5150 shocks, custom lower shock mounts
    Just lookin for some advice about the next predicament in owning my truck.

First issue is right around 38-45 mph there is a slight rolling/scraping sound that happens about every 150 feet. I just had a cv boot replaced but normally my vibes start at about 54 mph so I'm kinda confused. The shop that replaced it did take the wheel off and what not so I'm beginning to wonder if they may have messed something up in the process.

My second issue is with the hood. It seems that in very windy and bumpy conditions the hood latch unattaches to a degree allowing the hood to shake up and down about 1". Every time I open it up and make sure that its closed and closed correctly it will pop back up after driving it around town.

Any help is appreciated, thanks

2. Dec 5, 2010 at 5:36 PM
    goomba

goomba It is a Fluid Situation

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    San Antonio Fl
    Vehicle:
    96 White Ex. Cab Tacoma TRD 4X4
    3" lift Up front(Donahoe Racing ext. travel coil overs, Camburg UCA's), 1.5-2" lift in the back(aal and some billy 10" stroke short bodies), Bushwhacker Cut-Out fender flairs, 16"x10" Procomp Street locks, and 305/70 Procomp X-Terrains.
    The hood is out of adjustment where the latch is. How loud is this "rolling/scraping sound"? I think it could be something in between your a/c compressor and it's clutch. (very slim chance that this is the problem because you live up north, you probably do not use it)
    Try driving without the A/C on.

3. Dec 7, 2010 at 1:15 PM
    malander

malander [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    Vehicle:
    01 limited trd 4x4
    deck plate mod,jba cat back,bilstein 5100's,ome 883 springs, Allpro expos, allpro U-bolt flip kit, 10" Bilstien 5150 shocks, custom lower shock mounts
    I'll have to check out the hood latch thanks. The rolling/scraping sound is more of a feeling but a very slight hum/rub to it but we do use a/c haha im only in missouri, but then of course its december and 18 degrees in the morning. I don't know the issues attributed to wheel bearings but isn't that what would make that slight vibration/hum/rub/scrape whatever it is?

4. Dec 8, 2010 at 6:01 AM
    goomba

goomba It is a Fluid Situation

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    San Antonio Fl
    Vehicle:
    96 White Ex. Cab Tacoma TRD 4X4
    3" lift Up front(Donahoe Racing ext. travel coil overs, Camburg UCA's), 1.5-2" lift in the back(aal and some billy 10" stroke short bodies), Bushwhacker Cut-Out fender flairs, 16"x10" Procomp Street locks, and 305/70 Procomp X-Terrains.
    If it is the wheel bearings, easy way to check is jacking up your truck and wiggling the tire. If it does not budge they are fine.
    I am throwing out random stuf now, but I just replaced all 4 of my cv boots a wile back. In the center of the hub there is a black cap. When you take that off there is a huge nut, and there should be a retaining washer with a retaining clip. If they did not tighten the axle nut or put the retaining washer and clip this could be your problem. Allowing the cv axle to move a little bit allowing to make your hum.

Products Discussed in

To Top