1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Couple of questions for new purchase

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by backstop13, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Oct 4, 2013 at 11:58 AM
    backstop13

backstop13 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    planning on getting a v6 AC 4x4 TRD sport edition with entune, and I just a have a few quick questions that I couldn't find definitive answers on using the search function. sorry if I missed them but here goes:

- The dealer offers an upgrade to leather seating surfaces, which as I understand it, isn't offered as a standard Tacoma feature and something the dealer adds on using aftermarket parts. My main question is, would the Okole seat covers still fit over the leather the factory uses, or is there really no way to tell until the leather is actually installed?

- I really like the look of the powder coated OEM tube steps, but feel like the price is way high compared to aftermarket options. Obviously when I buy my truck I'll try to get a cheaper price, but if I'm not able to, which aftermarket tube steps most closely resembles the OEM step? I'd rather install it myself and pay less instead of letting the dealership do it.

- Pretty much the same question regarding the bug guard. I didn't notice too many differences in the bug guards so I would imagine it's not a big deal. Just curious if any particular guard (heard good things about the WeatherTech) looked better than others.

- Any other tips or things to watch out for when buying? This is the first time I've purchased a new vehicle and first truck I'll ever own. I know about sites like Truecar.com so I plan on doing as much research as possible, just looking for a head's up on any other tips you may know of.

Thanks a bunch and I'm looking forward to spending a lot of time and money on my future truck!

2. Oct 4, 2013 at 12:02 PM
    richardbui23

richardbui23 That guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stacy
    1. most of the time dealers will either go local or go through katskinz for leather seats and i dont see why the wet okoles wouldnt fit.

2.go aftermarket steps or if anything you can just get sliders which will also work as steps

3. any kind of guards just default to weathertech you cant go wrong with weather tec. pricey but worth it

3. Oct 4, 2013 at 12:03 PM
    xtyfighterx

xtyfighterx Master Shredder

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    CDA Idaho/ Deadhorse Ak
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SW TRD OR/ 2015 tundra CM off road sr5
    3in lift, 5100s front and rear, OME 887 springs 2in aal, 285 75 16 Duratracs, mb 352 black wheels, white sport grill, derp'd lower valance, derp'd front toyota emblem white, tinted windows, tinted tail lights, trd shorty antenna, trd hitch cover, trd valve stem caps, trd neoprene covers, trd all weather floor mats, kenwood double din, stampede window visors, flyzeye interior leds, anytime fog light mod, flashlight mod, kool vue intake, LED dome light, Lund bug shield, TRD shift knob,front mud flaps removed, Debadged, truxedo roll up bed cover, led fog light bulbs, led parking light bulbs, led dtrls bulbs, led headlight bulbs, led back up light bulbs, led license plate bulbs, tinted license plate covers, 18" magnaflow muffler, 32in ebay, light bar, coverking neoprene resr seat cover, oem trd skid plate, trd decal on center caps, oem trd exhaust tip, blacked out pinch welds, color matched mirror covers.
    not sure about the leather with wet okole covers i would do one or the other

tube steps N-fab are my favorite

i have lund bug guard as long as it screws on and not double sided tape get whatever brand ive had bad experiece with the double sided taped ones on previous cars

as far as buying goes make them show you the invoice it will show the price of the vehicle before mark up that price minus any rebates would be ur best price or anything below invoice .

4. Oct 4, 2013 at 12:04 PM
    aubi1414

aubi1414 War Eagle!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Pensacola, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport Blue Ribbon Metallic
    LED Dome, LED Map, LED License Plate Bulbs, , Konig SixShooters Matte Black, Toyo Open Country ATII's 285 70 17, Satoshi, Bilstein 5100s (set to 0), 885s, LR UCA's, Icon RR 2.0 +2, All Pro Standard 3" Leaf Pack, All Pro Flip Kit, Sway Bar Relocate, Exhaust Chop, Antenna X 14", Debadged, Tint, Matt123 Black TRD Skid, Black Weathertech Mats
    - The dealer offers an upgrade to leather seating surfaces, which as I understand it, isn't offered as a standard Tacoma feature and something the dealer adds on using aftermarket parts. My main question is, would the Okole seat covers still fit over the leather the factory uses, or is there really no way to tell until the leather is actually installed? Yes

- I really like the look of the powder coated OEM tube steps, but feel like the price is way high compared to aftermarket options. Obviously when I buy my truck I'll try to get a cheaper price, but if I'm not able to, which aftermarket tube steps most closely resembles the OEM step? I'd rather install it myself and pay less instead of letting the dealership do it. Westins, don't go with OEM steps. Just upgrade after you purchase to rock sliders you will eventually go that route anyways. They are way more badass than tubes and help protect the side of your truck whether its car doors or actually rocks.

- Pretty much the same question regarding the bug guard. I didn't notice too many differences in the bug guards so I would imagine it's not a big deal. Just curious if any particular guard (heard good things about the WeatherTech) looked better than others. Personal preference

- Any other tips or things to watch out for when buying? This is the first time I've purchased a new vehicle and first truck I'll ever own. I know about sites like Truecar.com so I plan on doing as much research as possible, just looking for a head's up on any other tips you may know of. Get a price they wanna sell it to you for with all options out the door and respond back in here and people will chime in and make sure you aren't getting ripped off.

5. Oct 4, 2013 at 12:07 PM
    xtyfighterx

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    CDA Idaho/ Deadhorse Ak
    Vehicle:
    3in lift, 5100s front and rear, OME 887 springs 2in aal, 285 75 16 Duratracs, mb 352 black wheels, white sport grill, derp'd lower valance, derp'd front toyota emblem white, tinted windows, tinted tail lights, trd shorty antenna, trd hitch cover, trd valve stem caps, trd neoprene covers, trd all weather floor mats, kenwood double din, stampede window visors, flyzeye interior leds, anytime fog light mod, flashlight mod, kool vue intake, LED dome light, Lund bug shield, TRD shift knob,front mud flaps removed, Debadged, truxedo roll up bed cover, led fog light bulbs, led parking light bulbs, led dtrls bulbs, led headlight bulbs, led back up light bulbs, led license plate bulbs, tinted license plate covers, 18" magnaflow muffler, 32in ebay, light bar, coverking neoprene resr seat cover, oem trd skid plate, trd decal on center caps, oem trd exhaust tip, blacked out pinch welds, color matched mirror covers.
    or for the best price go to two dealers and have them fight over the best price that always works

6. Oct 4, 2013 at 12:30 PM
    NorCalTRD

NorCalTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    '06 Indigo Ink DCLB TRD Sport V6
    40% Front Tint, Viper 5704 Alarm, Steel Cable Dog Tie, Super Sexy Driver Mod
    I have worked for a dealership as a salesperson.
    First things first, know what you want before you walk in.
    Hands down easiest way to get the right price is to walk in and IMMEDIATELY ask to speak to the sales manager/supervisor.
    DONT work with a salesperson, its bullshit and their job is to run back and forth between you and the manager. They have NO SAY in what the actual price is and the higher the price they sell it for the more of a commission they get. You will only waste your time and get frustrated which is the point.
    If they say you cant work with the manager then tell them youll buy your truck elsewhere, and START TO WALK AWAY. Sometimes they will let you get as far as actually driving out before sending someone out running after you. NOT KIDDING.
    If at any point they want information about you tell them your name, phone number, and zip code. NOTHING MORE!!!! Even if they hassle you, thats all they need to give you a price. Also this way if you end up walking out they have your number to call you up and accept your offer later if they initially turn you down.

THE MONEY SHOT!
    When you have met the manager, ask to see the invoice. He may bullshit you and say he cant show it to you, again reminding them that you can buy a truck anywhere helps here. Once you've seen invoice price (what they actually paid for it) you can decide whats appropriate to pay.
    IE an MSRP of 35K may be "on sale" for 33K with rebates etc. However invoice is probably 26-28k and a dealership doesnt deserve to make 6K on selling a car and will prbably let it go for $30K-$31K. be reasonable with them and find something that works for you, but STAY FIRM if you feel your price is right. Walk out if you need to.

Also anything aside from "shipping" is on the dealer. Assembly, etc all usually gets put on the quote at full rate labor which is profit for them. Dont buy their bullshit when they say its all costs to them, THEY ARE LYING.

The whole process should take under an hour.

Anyways, I hope this helps.
    I was outselling 30 year sales veterans by simply remaining honest and not putting my customers through the bullshit they wanted me to.

7. Oct 4, 2013 at 12:31 PM
    backstop13

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Good stuff guys thanks for the responses.

8. Oct 4, 2013 at 1:20 PM
    hemlock

hemlock Member

Member:
    +1

This is great advice. I bought my car this way.
    Emailed the dealer my excel spreadsheet showing invoice, the options I wanted, all the way down to the final details and mentioned I was ready to put a deposit down.
    He emailed me back saying call him.
    After 4 minutes and 28 seconds later I bought the car.
    I picked it up 2 months later. (it was ordered from factory).
    I never even met the guy. His day off when I grabbed the keys. :)

9. Oct 4, 2013 at 1:24 PM
    xtyfighterx

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    CDA Idaho/ Deadhorse Ak
    Vehicle:
    ^ must of made some money you somewhere no dealer lets the first number win unless its their number lol

10. Oct 4, 2013 at 1:31 PM
    HIYota

HIYota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    Las Vegas, NV originally Kauai, HI
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver 6 spd TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    Check my build thread...too much to list.
    My question is why get the upgrade to leather seats when you plan on getting seat covers? Unless it's a free upgrade I see it as a waste of money.

11. Oct 4, 2013 at 1:33 PM
    xtyfighterx

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    CDA Idaho/ Deadhorse Ak
    Vehicle:
  12. Oct 5, 2013 at 11:19 AM
    backstop13

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Well I prefer leather, as this will be a daily driver/haul stuff for the house kind of truck, however, I just wanted to keep my options open in case I wanted to get okele's in the future to keep the leather in good shape. I have dogs I have to haul to the vet at times and I don't want to screw up the leather.

Just trying to find out my options, not committed to anything one way or the other.

13. Oct 5, 2013 at 11:32 AM
    RTD

RTD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Taxachusetts
    Thanks NorCal.
    My credit union has a program where they have an employee that was a "car salesman". He claims to have 20 years experience selling.
    This guy will accompany me to the dealer and negotiate for me.
    I thinks its a way the credit union finances the vehicle, as opposed the dealer doing it in house.
    It's taking some money away from the dealer, but it may be a way to get a better deal...(??)

Products Discussed in

To Top