1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cover my tools!

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Strev, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Aug 23, 2009 at 5:43 AM
    Strev

Strev [OP] Member

Member:
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Prerunner
    A couple scratches on front bumper when garage door fell on it. Crease in the back bumper where my truck got into a fight with a pole.
    I was wondering if there are any carpenters or construction workers driving their 2nd Gen Tacos to work.. I live in S. Florida and have to deal with the unpredictable downpours. I usually have about 3k worth of tools in the bed of the truck that need covered. I would rather not get a truck cap because once something is in the front of the bed you have to take everything out to get to it. Tonneau covers on the other hand usually sit too low and wont shut with a full load of tools.. I was just wondering what other people might have.. Any help would be appreciated

2. Aug 23, 2009 at 5:47 AM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Get a cap with Windoors on both sides. Mine is due to arrive anytime, I'm all about functionality, can't wait to get it.

you can almost reach all the way to the center of the bed in our trucks, dependant of your height and arm length...

http://www.4are.com/product/truck_caps.php

[​IMG]

3. Oct 3, 2009 at 8:09 AM
    Strev

Strev [OP] Member

Member:
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Prerunner
    A couple scratches on front bumper when garage door fell on it. Crease in the back bumper where my truck got into a fight with a pole.
    Did you get your cap? if so what do you think of it... I still have not decided on what to get..

4. Oct 3, 2009 at 9:31 AM
    hoosiertaco

Member:
    ^^^huh.....yes I did.....twice!! I've been putting off doing a review because I don't like being negative..... A.R.E. has a great rep, and typically makes a good product, but my experience was not good....and is not over.....:(

I still have it, and will probably keep it.........look in my pic album to see it....

5. Oct 3, 2009 at 9:34 AM
    hoosiertaco

Member:
    As far as your decision to go shell or tonneau, I'm very happy I chose a shell. The product issue is another ball game.........maybe that was more of an answer to your question.....

6. Oct 3, 2009 at 10:08 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
  7. Oct 6, 2009 at 8:09 PM
    RogerGene

RogerGene Member

Member:
    Eastern Shore Maryland and Sierra Foothills
    Vehicle:
    '07 DC long bed SR5 Magenta
    Yeah, I've had many trucks and always hauled stuff, crawling in to get stuff sucks. Unbolting and hoisting a cap off by myself was no fun, so that was a seasonal thing, off for summer (Northern CA) and back on in the winter. I'm about to get the Bestop because I can fold it down or take it off at will. I'm hoping to fit a ladder rack around and above that. If you go rigid, the side doors work, windows that slide aren't so good for access.
    Also, I use a ~67" full-size truck toolbox running lengthwise. I can slide it out and leave it, and it is just below the rail sides. That and a couple of hefty plastic cargo boxes (again, stay below the rails, if possible) from Lowe's or Home Depot give a lot of portable, waterproof storage, and can still lay materials on top. I also use crossbars of 2X6 when hauling sheetrock or plywood. Been doing that for years with my Dodge Dakota which was just replaced with a '07 Tacoma, seems to work the same so far, so good.

8. Oct 20, 2009 at 5:05 PM
    travelingman

travelingman What would Scooby do?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    ticking eng.mo,ventvisors,locking tailgate,wheelmasters ss spare tire inflation line,weathertech mats
    Check out a Weatherguard Bed Rat.I have one in my work trk. with a cap and it works great. No more crawling for anything!

Products Discussed in

To Top