1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Coyoza Tune Development and Feedback

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by mZiggy, May 2, 2021.

1. Jun 16, 2021 at 6:33 AM
    NickJacq23

NickJacq23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yeah, I've tried both. I ran KDM for a few tanks then ran Coyoza for a few as well just so I know what's out there. Imo it's a very similar to OV 2.0 in terms of throttle response and power. It was an okay tune but didn't really give me what I was looking for.

2. Jun 16, 2021 at 6:35 AM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    just curious because of your wording, which one are you referring to here, KD or Coyoza?

Skydvrr likes this.
  3. Jun 16, 2021 at 6:36 AM
    NickJacq23

Member:
    Coyoza

su.b.rat[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jun 16, 2021 at 6:37 AM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    so you prefer KD? smoother for you? AT or MT?

5. Jun 16, 2021 at 6:40 AM
    NickJacq23

Member:
    Yeah I prefer KDM. I think I've tried most of the tunes on here with the exception of CVC & I always revert back to KDM after a few weeks. It's smoother & delivers better throttle response IMO.

edit* I'm AT

6. Jun 16, 2021 at 6:47 AM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    i see. i definitely appreciate the smoothness of KD, it's the smoothest tune by a stretch in my experience. but first gear in the MT is too weak to get a good run into second, and that makes the MTs fall kinda flat from there. and, truth be told, i don't like it when it gets that smooth. my truck is a pretty tough ride with reinforced everything, solid motor mounts, unrestricted exhaust, etc, and Coyoza just fits right in.

7. Jun 16, 2021 at 6:53 AM
    Norsk

Norsk YotaWerx Authorized Tuner

Member:
    Did you notice no power in low end? Any struggle on the highway when you're using cruise control?

8. Jun 16, 2021 at 7:02 AM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    lol, again I'm not sure which one you're asking about, KD or Coyoza?

KD has less low end in first by a bit for me, not a huge difference, but Coyoza runs up the revs more strongly and that makes first & second much easier.

i don't use cruise control ever. but on the highway my truck is game on cus the exhaust. crazy good power & throttle from 3k up on the highway.

9. Jun 16, 2021 at 7:04 AM
    Norsk

Norsk YotaWerx Authorized Tuner

Member:

KDMAX.

I have Carven, and what about you?

su.b.rat[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jun 16, 2021 at 7:08 AM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    mZiggy[OP] and Norsk[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Jun 16, 2021 at 7:29 AM
    mZiggy

mZiggy [OP] Honey badger; VFPro licensed; YotaWerx Tuning

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Tundra SR5; 2020 4R TRD Pro; 2008 4R SR5 v8
    I've stopped supporting further Coyoza AT tuning anyway.

I'll freely admit that I'm at a disadvantage developing AT tunes since my truck is MT, and inversely that gives Coyoza MT tunes an advantage imo.

What I do encourage everyone to keep in mind when I'm supplying tunes, regardless of AT vs MT, is to manage expectations. Coyoza is intended to be a superior daily driver tune while remaining usable off road, so it will never have the same thrilling adrenaline junkie wow factor that some of the other tunes provide you right off the line.

The majority of Coyoza customers have been tuned on other tunes that give that insane wow factor, they drive 10mi and call it good, leave a stellar review, and then over time learn that it may not be quite what they wanted, or conducive to off road throttle control. This is when the honeymoon phase wears off imo. This is something I've observed with both AT and MT.

This isn't to say that everyone will unanimously like Coyoza over any other option. That's impossible. Mat/OVTune is the only expert and he couldn't satisfy everyone either, and he went out of his way to create a true daily driver tune that frankly some people didn't like purely because they couldn't manage expectations, whether it was due to aggressive driving style or too much added weight on their trucks, whatever.

Plus, quite frankly I decided that I was getting tired of how differently AT owners (as a generalization) want their truck to drive from any other Tacoma 6AT. So much desired variation that I decided that the MT tuning will be my niche and leave it at that.

Regardless, I am of the opinion that I can provide a superior 6MT tune to the other options available, while leaving the AT tunes to the (larger crowd) people who drive AT's. I'm not in a position where I particularly have to care one way or another about how they drive when the headache due to the infinite spectrum of opinion is just not worth it.

For one reason or another, MT owners are simply more unified in how a truck should drive and not as picky. Maybe that's due to being the redheaded stepchildren in the auto world in recent years, who knows. Lol

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  12. Jun 16, 2021 at 8:02 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    :wave:

That's my jam.

mZiggy[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  13. Jun 16, 2021 at 10:54 AM
    MLee

MLee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited Cement
    OTT 7.0
    Sorry to hear you are discontinuing AT development, not that I blame you, as you said it seems everybody has a little different opinion on what they want. I like your tune, probably because I came from a manual background and your tune does lean that way. Should have ignored the wife and bought a manual anyway, but then I would have had to get a camper for it too because I wouldn't have been sleeping in the house any more.....

Good luck supporting your manual users base!

Norsk, Junkhead, tonered and 2 others like this.
  14. Jun 16, 2021 at 11:17 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    I don't see the downside here? :D

MLee[QUOTED] and Junkhead like this.
  15. Jun 16, 2021 at 11:47 AM
    MOC221_

MOC221_ 3 pedal metal

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB Sport M/T Barcelona Red
    vF Tuned; ADM; Core SS
    Well said and absolutely true on the M/T side of the house. I've actually gone in the opposite direction to the tip in wow factor stuff, wherein I enjoy better throttle response but in a controlled manner. Throttle consistency under all conditions with decent pedal resolution is where it's at IMO.

16. Jun 16, 2021 at 11:56 AM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    yeah, this and KD both provided me consistency. Coyoza, at least on mine, requires less throttle modulation in first than KD, and that makes it more drivable... it's all about first gear.

MOC221_[QUOTED] and Shellshock like this.
  17. Jun 16, 2021 at 12:08 PM
    Shellshock

Shellshock King Shit of Turd Island

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD PRO / 2024 GRC Circuit
    For sure. Consistency and predictability is what we need in the MT

18. Jun 16, 2021 at 12:44 PM
    MOC221_

MOC221_ 3 pedal metal

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB Sport M/T Barcelona Red
    vF Tuned; ADM; Core SS
    I have a very noob awareness of what Marc and others need to balance with throttle, in playing with my own mods to stock files. I wish I could start with SFOB, but alas lol..
    I thought I had an ideal ATRTA linear-ish map profile worked out, but as soon as I played with the gear maps a bit more, it threw that completely off. Sure, you could get linear throttle, but all within about 1/4 to 1/3 pedal travel lol. Talk about arched toe on the accelerator! You could control it, but it wasn't pleasant.
    Then there is the single torque gear map thing.. I actually like multiple gear maps believe it or not because I can tailor the response for each. I guess in an ideal trade off, I could deal with one map for 1-4, and another for 5-6. The last two I don't mess with a whole lot, as I've found fuel economy tends to suffer if you do too much. Well, the ARTRA map figures into that too lol.

19. Jun 19, 2021 at 8:45 AM
    mZiggy

mZiggy [OP] Honey badger; VFPro licensed; YotaWerx Tuning

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Tundra SR5; 2020 4R TRD Pro; 2008 4R SR5 v8
    1st post has an update regarding individuals who can flash Coyoza custom tunes.

Receiving a tune from remains subject to their pricing, policies, and at their discretion.

20. Jun 27, 2021 at 5:38 PM
    Dank Donkeh Luvver

Dank Donkeh Luvver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR White 6MT
    OVTune/Coyoza, Eibach Pro Lift, Mobtown Sliders/Skid, Softopper, Martin Offroad Rack
    I've been running the Coyoza tune on my 2020 for about 2 weeks now and I'm really liking it. I was running a slightly modified OV2.0 93 SFOB tune prior and was a little hesitant to switch to a regular octane tune - mostly afraid of losing mpgs. After two tanks I have definitely noticed improvements over the 93 tune I was running and my MPGs have remained virtually unchanged, so now I'm getting BETTER performance and I'm saving close to 40 cents/gallon - the tune is going to pay for itself in about a month.

I think one of the biggest things has been the improvement in first gear. No more jerking around parking lots (or lugging around in 2nd)! The powerband also seems much smoother than what I was running before. Overall I think it's a noticeable improvement over the OV2.0 and is absolutely worth every penny.

MeGuess556, wolf2600, Norsk and 2 others like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top