1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CPLAY2air (Wireless Apple Car Play adaptor)

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by El Chivo Norteño, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Apr 13, 2021 at 9:05 AM
    Miggy_83

Miggy_83 Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Cplay2

2. Apr 13, 2021 at 8:33 PM
    robi0024

robi0024 Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    21 Double Cab TRD Off-Road
    I’ve had my cplay2 adaptor for a few months and it works fairly well. I have noticed that it’s been failing to connect at least once a week resulting in me having to unplug/replug to get it working again. Minor annoyance for wireless freedom in a 2021 Tacoma. I used velcro to secure in right underneath the USB port so its a quick process to reboot it.

3. Apr 13, 2021 at 8:39 PM
    Chastaco

Chastaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORDCSB Cement 4x4 Auto
    Me too. Mine and my wife’s both had previously been working great but lately not so much. Def still worth it but I hope it can be fixed. I have updated twice which temporarily fixed but am thinking maybe a clean wipe and reinstall if that’s possible....

4. Apr 14, 2021 at 3:43 AM
    Pilvr83

Pilvr83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Panhandle, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma Limited
    Spiker struts, tailgate step, MESO...$$
    Yesterday, I contacted CPLay2air asking if these will work with my truck.
    This was their response:

"Thank you for your interest in out product! for now, it's only compatible with Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood and Sony aftermarket units. Please let me know if you have any more questions. thank you, April"

Maybe you "all" received a product (from the past) that will work but I am hesitant now due to the response.

5. Apr 21, 2021 at 8:28 AM
    Shavenyak

Shavenyak Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roman
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green TRD Offroad
    I have weak cell reception in my area but the WiFi in the truck works great, so I use the truck for internet (streaming music) on the way to work. Do I have to choose between connecting to the truck WiFi or the CPlay2air?

6. Apr 21, 2021 at 11:17 AM
    Jproz

Jproz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 LR Pro
    FWIW - I ordered and installed the Carlinkit one and it works fine. No updates or anything needed for the 2021 JBL.
    One week of use so far and I’ve only had to unplug and replug it in once - which is frankly par for the course for any Bluetooth item that doesn’t connect right away. While I ordered from them direct, I believe you can get them on Amazon too.

7. Apr 21, 2021 at 2:28 PM
    Londo-Cat

Londo-Cat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 4x4 v6 w/predator package & midnight black metallic
    TRD Skidplates (Front/Back) Predator XP package
    Like a lot of people who buy the CPlay2air - they have to plug it into the single *media* port in the front, and either stick it somewhere around there or just let it hang down.
    Honestly - that annoyed me. I wanted it in the center console. Out of the way and out of sight.
    TACO_MEDIA_Relo_00.jpg

So - I bought a USB port extender cable (6') asnd then popped the media port out of the console and plugged that bad boy in and put it on shrink tubing.
    TACO_MEDIA_Relo_01.jpg

Routed it back to the center console and put it in the rear of it.
    TACO_MEDIA_Relo_03.jpg

Added a 12v adapter in there as well.
    TACO_MEDIA_Relo_02.jpg

Then plugged in my CPLAY2air wireless car play adapter. Worked great. No issues yet.
    TACO_MEDIA_Relo_04.jpg

Bought one of these on Amazon... made sure it worked with the Apple MagSafe USB C charger (it did)
    TACO_MEDIA_Relo_05.jpg

Then - just because I wanted an authentic apple MagSafe Charger in my center console because I didn't like the Qi charger.
    NOW... I have everything right where I want it. Apple charger (wireless) and the CPLAY2air relocated to the center console.
    All nice and tidy.
    TACO_MEDIA_Relo_06.jpg

RandomHero01 and markram like this.
  8. Apr 24, 2021 at 7:39 AM
    Pilvr83

Member:
    Panhandle, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma Limited
    I decided to skip on the CPLay2air due to negative feedbacks and intermittent use (my opinion); i went with Carlinkit instead.
    Yesterday, I installed the Carlinkit and within 2 minutes had wireless carplay. Everything worked as normal on the steering wheel and radio. So far, no issues. Haven't decided where to mount as of yet.

9. Apr 24, 2021 at 10:36 AM
    Shavenyak

Shavenyak Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roman
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green TRD Offroad
    I ordered the CarPlay2Air prior to seeing this thread, but installed it yesterday and it works great! I Velcro’d it longitudinally right under the port.

My only question still remains, do I lose access to my wifi hotspot when using it. I noticed my truck’s hotspot name changed.

10. Apr 28, 2021 at 12:18 PM
    GarlicFarts

GarlicFarts Bang Ding Ow

Member:
    Lil Rhody
    Vehicle:
    2020 White DCSB TRD OR
    SOS bolt-on sliders In-cab sleeping platform J-Dub IFS Skid
    Mine has been doing this too - I just got it set up though. Glad it's not just me!

Guess I'll just wait for the next software(?) release. If it doesn't get better within a few weeks I'm talking to the Amazon gods and hoping for a return though. I think at that point I'd rather just route the cable to the center console and use a USB port in there and deal with that hassle. Won't lie though, I got the white one because it was cheap because everyone wants the black one. Getting in the truck with my keys and phone not leaving my pockets - pretty nice. Works great when I take the camelback out for a bike ride, load up my shite at home and then just drive away :D

11. May 4, 2021 at 11:56 AM
    GarlicFarts

GarlicFarts Bang Ding Ow

Member:
    Lil Rhody
    Vehicle:
    2020 White DCSB TRD OR
    SOS bolt-on sliders In-cab sleeping platform J-Dub IFS Skid

Rather than unplug and replug, if you hold down the power button on the radio for a few seconds it reboots and will work again - still happens time to time, but after the reboot it works a-okay. Now that I figure that out, and I don't have to unplug replug, I'll definitely be looking at routing the new cable and stashing it in the center console, or in the center stack somewhere.

markram and Chastaco[QUOTED] like this.
  12. Jun 7, 2021 at 2:36 PM
    RandomHero01

RandomHero01 (Amateur Human)

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport
    I like this! Did you find a dash button blank to fill the original spot the USB was in?

-RH01

13. Jun 10, 2021 at 12:36 AM
    Londo-Cat

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Vehicle:
    Not yet. I think what will end up happening is that I will have to make that original opening either larger so it will accomodate a regular sized button or - buy the lower switch panel from Meso Customs and then remove the factory one and put that one in there. I am leaning towards the Meso as it can add in a few more button openings (7 or 8 depending on the one you get).

RandomHero01[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Oct 18, 2021 at 5:47 PM
    GoPDemon

GoPDemon Member

Member:
  15. Oct 18, 2021 at 7:12 PM
    Londo-Cat

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Vehicle:
    CPLAY2air wireless adapter for factory CarPlay on CARPLAY2air.com – CPLAY2air.com

I've been in I.T. for over 35 years - so take this from someone who rips apart stuff for a living. Both units do almost exactly the same thing. Both allow your iphone to sync wirelessly to the unit and then it connects to the CarPlay on your car through the wired media port. Both suffer from the same issues of locking up from time to time and heat related issues.

THAT BEING SAID... I prefer CarPlay2Air more than U2W Plus. CarPlay2Air still locks up from time to time - needs to have its USB plug pulled from the media port and rebooted from time to time. Has heat related issues when the car is too hot. I've solved the heat related issues by tearing the unit apart and putting in some thermal tape and adding a small micro-fan to the back of that and plugging that into another USB port for power - but occasionally it still locks up and refuses to engage with the CarPlay unless you reboot it.

The CPlay2Air connects faster, within 7-10 seconds, the U2W Plus is about the same time as the CPlay2Air - but this also depends on how fast your phone pairs with the unit. I've seen the CPlay2Air continually try and pair with the iPhone over and over or stall - but eventually connect. Same thing happens with the U2W Plus. It's a pairing issue mostly - which I feel is on the iPhone side. I've tried iPhone 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 - older iphones tend to be slower but still work.

Both units allow you to upgrade the firmware on them.

So what it comes down to is apples and oranges. Which one you personally like is up to you.

I have only really tested these with the carplay head unit and iPhones. I didn't do any android testing.

16. Oct 19, 2021 at 4:42 AM
    Pilvr83

Member:
    Panhandle, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma Limited
    I have been using the CPlay2Air for about a year. I get the same sort of once in a while reboot problem mentioned. Very minor and fast reconnect with phone.
    I have not run into heat problems; unless the need to reboot is the cause of excessive heat. If this is the case, it is very seldom.
    I have not tried to upgrade the firmware. If it works, I don't touch.

Great review.

Londo-Cat[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Oct 19, 2021 at 5:45 AM
    Crosbaugh

Crosbaugh Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have one of these and can't recommend it. It's inconsistent, and having had it for a little over a month, it now fails less often than it works.

18. Oct 19, 2021 at 6:14 AM
    Ahomeofbones

Ahomeofbones Member Well-Known

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR
    Has anyone run the Zues in their third gen JBL unit, yet? I had it in my old whip and it worked great. It had full screen mirroring, not just android auto compatible apps. I also never had to reset it, so I was able to hide it behind the dash. It's a bit pricey though. I think I got it for $400 back then.
    https://zz-2.com/products/zeus

19. Oct 19, 2021 at 9:18 AM
    Soul Surfer

Soul Surfer J!m! Was Last Seen: Roam in’ Around…

Member:
    First Name:
    J!M!
    West Central Florida Coast
    Just updated my Cplay2Air This is the second update since I purchased it back in February. Don’t have any complaints with the unit at all.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  20. Oct 19, 2021 at 9:35 AM
    SpyGoat

SpyGoat I miss you Hobbs

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off Road MGM DCSB
    A bunch..and no build thread!
    Damn...$550 on eBay.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/393242902823

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top