1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

crack in dash :( fix?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Nitronick, May 3, 2010.

1. May 3, 2010 at 7:18 PM
    Nitronick

Nitronick [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Oregon City, OR
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5 v6 3.4
    so when i bought my tacoma it had this crack in the dash and i never did anything to it, but i figured since i got a street bike and now will be able to work on my truck i might as well fix it, or attempt it. So any suggestions on this??

here's a pic of it. now really sure how he managed to get that crack..

[​IMG]

2. May 3, 2010 at 7:26 PM
    Coolidge

Coolidge Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Lancaster, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2003 Pre Runner
    King coilovers frt +3". Bilstein 5100 shocks rear w/AAL, K&N FIPK, Magnablow exhaust, Billet grill, clear corner lights, Sony stereo, JBL, Sub etc.
    OK....Good luck with that. Seriously, 1st, I'd check for side impact damage. Ive seen this sort of dash damage to vehicles that have been "T-Boned"...HARD. If that all is ok (dimensionally/structurally), I wouldnt phuck with it, I'd replace it. Boneyard/salvage yard of course. Im in So Cal and work in a body shop. Lemme know if you need me to do a 'search' for you? Did you get a clear 'title' when you bought it?

Otherwise, If you did try and 'fix' it, it would have to be some sort of filler, to fill those really big cracks. Then whatever you filled the cracks with, will expand/contract at different rates (from temp, etc) that the cracks are gonna show again anyway.

3. May 3, 2010 at 7:32 PM
    Nitronick

Nitronick [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Oregon City, OR
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5 v6 3.4
    yea its a clean title which is the weird part. In oregon its a pain to find spare parts for tacoma's at the scrap yard, i always call around about every 2 weeks but nothing. Well one of them doesnt look like a crack tho, its more of a puncher than anything. It was defiantly the guys hunting truck tho.

hey by any chance do you think a 95 to 97 dash would work? i know in 98 that is when they switched to 2 air bags right?

4. May 3, 2010 at 7:49 PM
    Coolidge

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Lancaster, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2003 Pre Runner
    King coilovers frt +3". Bilstein 5100 shocks rear w/AAL, K&N FIPK, Magnablow exhaust, Billet grill, clear corner lights, Sony stereo, JBL, Sub etc.
    Dunno for sure, but dont think so? I'll check in the morning. Take a close look at that hinge pillar. Compare it to the left side. Does it look like its been 'worked'? (get a magnet if you have one)

5. May 4, 2010 at 11:21 AM
    Coolidge

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Lancaster, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2003 Pre Runner
    OK, Heres what I found out: Dash from 98-04 will work (charcoal) I did a search in Oregon and found dash's for appx 150.00 +/-. Here is a yard, in Oregon, w/a charcoal dash for 150.00:
    Action Auto Parts and Recyclers USA-OR(Central-Point) 1-800-443-0513
    Good luck with whatever you decide.

To Top