1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Crack in the paint...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JKD, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Mar 15, 2010 at 4:26 PM
    JKD

JKD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I found a crack in the hood's paint, just above the driver's headlamp. There is no dent, no damage to the paint (no scratches or chips), just a hairline crack right along the curve of the hood as it descends toward the headlamp housing.

I've seen this in paint jobs where the paint didn't adhere properly to the primer...but I haven't seen it on a factory job before.

Am I right in thinking that pretty much the only option to fix it--even thought it is, as of now, a minor crack--is to sand down and repair the bad area, then respray the whole hood?

I'm not all that excited about seeing how well they can match the Speedway Blue...

2. Mar 15, 2010 at 4:33 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    due don't sweat it............think of it as a badge of honor.........a hair line crack is no reason to waste your money on having the hood repainted......

3. Mar 15, 2010 at 4:50 PM
    JKD

Member:
    Not my money...this isn't damage, it's a defect. I'm going to have the dealership look at it.

4. Mar 15, 2010 at 4:54 PM
    Mark C.

Mark C. If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.

Probably your best choice...is it still under warranty? With a truck that's only a year old, I don't think it's a badge of honor. It is your truck and it obviously is a defect.....Tell the dealership that you think it's a defect and they should fix it! If they don't .... You can always go to the press! :eek:

5. Mar 15, 2010 at 4:59 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

If I were you I'd swing into the dealership too , they might fall all over themselves to help you with all of the bad press ( mostly exagerated bullshit ) Toyota has gotten lately ,

OZ

6. Mar 15, 2010 at 5:02 PM
    JKD

Member:
    Yeah, this truck was built in the first week of July last year, I took delivery before the end of July. Eight months is a little soon for the paint to start peeling off.

7. Mar 15, 2010 at 5:18 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Dealer/warranty for sure. A badge of honor is more like my truck, with it's hundreds of Arizona Pin Stripes...

Also, they could have had some damage done in shipping (minor scuffing of the paint even, nothing serious probably) and got it re-shot before the dealer ever saw it. Could have done a poor job with the patch job... happens nothing to worry about.

8. Mar 15, 2010 at 7:23 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    My roof had a dent in it but I just hit the roof liner and the dent popped right out, thought everything was ok but about a month after that there was a hairline crack in the paint.

9. Mar 15, 2010 at 7:55 PM
    JKD

Member:
    The bumper-to-bumper warranty is 3 years and 36,000 miles. If it was a rock chip that's one thing, but this is clearly a paint defect.

10. Mar 18, 2010 at 8:16 PM
    JKD

Member:
    Here's a couple of photos. Crack is near the center in both photos. It is easier to see the limits of it in person, though it kind of looks like the crack will get longer at each end.

In the photos it looks like it could be a hair laid across the paint. If you run your finger over it, though, you can feel the edges very well, and looking at it from a variety of angles you can see the 'ridge' that the crack raises in the paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top