1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cracked header, Advice?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Taco95, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Nov 11, 2009 at 3:25 PM
    Taco95

Taco95 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    The stock header on my 95 tacoma 2.7 has a noticable crack in it, i believe its making it idle rough and when idling you can actually hear the leak clearly. With advice from buddies, the studs for the header are known to crack off when trying to remove the stock header. That would be the last possible scenario i'd want, and im looking for advice if its possible to do without cracking studs off or if i can buy that epoxy header sealant for a temporary fix, Even possibly use header wrap on it and try to seal it?

Looking for a easy fix with no studs breaking, think i can put a new stock manifold on it without the studs giving through? Any advice is appreciated, Thanks.

2. Nov 11, 2009 at 5:36 PM
    BRP27

BRP27 When I grow up I want to be just like Me

Member:
    So far south in Texas my feet are in salt water
    Vehicle:
    04 4X4 Tacoma SR5
    3 in Ultimate ToyTec, set @ 2.5 in. AAL PINCH Weld Mod ( beat the pinch weld over inside the fender) Painted the pinch weld on bottom of cab Black Hi Lift Knock off
    After the truck has cooled off soak the studs in liquid wrench or other penetrating oil. let it set over night. Soak it several times, let it set. Put a socket on the header bolts and move each bolt slightly tighter and then looser. Work the bolts back and forth soaking with oil. Then let it set.

Loosen the header bolts a little and then tighten then loosen.

Bolts and studs that are on exhaust will rust and will cause the threads to lock up with the rust when you turn them but it you work them back and forth with a lot of oil you can get them off with out breakage. The key is to soak and then tighten then loosen, then oil, tighten loosen. if you just force the bolt off without working it you can break it.

I would not use any patch or temp fix unless this is a beater you dont care about

3. Nov 11, 2009 at 6:09 PM
    Taco95

Taco95 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    i just put a newer picture up, as you can see its no beater.. The thing gets waxed twice a month hint the background being a detail shop where i work. I'm usually good with general repairs on it but cracking one of those bolts off would probably make me mad enough to just sell the truck... Been dreaming of an STi:D

Na i love the truck, its just a touchy matter with those bolts having 160,000 miles of engine heat and cold winters on them. Scarrry..... :eek:

To Top