1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cracked Windshield.. any advice?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by spencer_hong, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Sep 30, 2009 at 10:43 PM
    spencer_hong

spencer_hong [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Palos Verdes, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    BlackedOut 07 DC
    K&N Air Charger CAI 63 Series, Flowmaster Delta 50 Series Muffler, Helo Maxx6 Black Wheels 17'', Blacked out headlights, blacked out tail lights, interior neon,, Luminics H4 Pure Blue headlight bulbs, Luminics H10 Pure Blue Fog Light bulbs, 10% tint all around, blacked out emblems, Pioneer In-Dash DVD
    On the way back from Arizona, a little pebble made a crack at the very bottom of my windshield on the left side. Two weeks later the crack was up to 6 inches long, and now a month later the crack is about halfway up the windshield. I'm almost positive I'm going to have to completely replace it.. just thought I'd see if anyone else on here had any ideas as to any other options or if anyone knows a place to get a new/used windshield in the South Bay in California.

2. Sep 30, 2009 at 10:44 PM
    lookylookitzadam

lookylookitzadam Retrofit Club!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 DC OffRoad
    safelite repair, safelite replace.

damn commercial is stuck in my head. Check into them. They are cheap and the come to your house or work

3. Sep 30, 2009 at 11:00 PM
    Lateralus

Lateralus Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Off Road
    Too many to list..
    Did you check with your insurance company first?

My carrier (Geico) will replace it for free.
    :):)

4. Sep 30, 2009 at 11:02 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Next time get it quick while it's small (no a/c, no heat - do differential in temperatures from either side) get it fixed for $50

5. Sep 30, 2009 at 11:04 PM
    spencer_hong

spencer_hong [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Palos Verdes, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    BlackedOut 07 DC
    K&N Air Charger CAI 63 Series, Flowmaster Delta 50 Series Muffler, Helo Maxx6 Black Wheels 17'', Blacked out headlights, blacked out tail lights, interior neon,, Luminics H4 Pure Blue headlight bulbs, Luminics H10 Pure Blue Fog Light bulbs, 10% tint all around, blacked out emblems, Pioneer In-Dash DVD
    I'm with AAA, it's a $500 deductable.. looks like either way I'm dropping 5 bills

6. Sep 30, 2009 at 11:16 PM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    DON'T USE SAFELITE!

They are crooks and there glass is substandard in my experience as a sale tech and as a customer. I used to be in the glass industry and the only thing that should be going into these trucks are factory OEM glass. I think it's pilkington or PPG for Toyota, but I could be wrong. Safelite makes their own windshields with substandard sand and, they install with cheap sealants and molding. Thus leaving your truck vulnerable to leaks, and in the case of a roll over less structurally sound (the windshield is designed to help support the roof in the case of a roll over).

You vehicle should have full glass coverage if you owe money one it. Check with you insurance company to make sure you don't have this before you spend cash. When you get it replaced ask for OEM glass only, if it safelite brand glass send it back and make them get OEM. It shouldn't be to hard to figure out what OEM brand is in our trucks, just go out and look on the bottom left or right hand side and see what it says. If and when you replace the glass it should be the same as what was in there. Glass is no different then spark plugs or alternators, you would put a 4 Cyl alternator on you V6 would you? So why would you use an under rated glass?

Plus many of the insurance companies get kick backs from safelite, so you insurance will try and pressure you into using them. You don't have to and there is no warranty on work when its covered under insurance or safelite. If something goes wrong you just get a new windshield again, and no it doesn't affect you insurance because it's a NO Fault Claim. Meaning no report and no insurance increase.

7. Oct 1, 2009 at 1:49 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    I have Geico and they don't replace it for free for me :(.

It's like $220 to get it replaced paying cash without insurance.

8. Oct 1, 2009 at 1:51 AM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Big tires, big lift, Lots of stuff's.
    I have USAA and I get them for free.

9. Oct 1, 2009 at 3:42 AM
    TacomaDoug

TacomaDoug His and Hers

Member:
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 (Pyrite Mica)(Silver Streak)
    Pyrite - Cut mud flaps, AVS deflector, WeatherTech floor liners. Silver Streak - Running boards for wife, AVS deflector, Kenwood DNX6140.
    For the future, I suggest having one of these kits for quick repairs. I've used them many times and they work great. I always keep a kit on hand and the kits can be used more than once. They run about $10. Well worth it.

[​IMG]

10. Oct 1, 2009 at 5:05 AM
    Warren Thompson

Warren Thompson GeoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Elko, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma DC TRD Sport RadRed
    I have a wandering crack in my windshield. It is an '06 I bought with 40k miles. I believe it is an aftermarket windshield, and definately thin and substandard. I have been told many times..."With Toyota, always use OEM..."

Does anyone know what is the cost of OEM replacement?? I too have $500 deductable, and will be paying out of pocket.

11. Oct 1, 2009 at 5:11 AM
    ligero18

ligero18 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio

x2 mine does too with USAA

12. Oct 1, 2009 at 5:24 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I have never had an issue with Safelite glass or any of their installs. In fact I have been using them for over ten years and my company has used them for the past five years without issue.

The thing is, OEM glass nowadays is crap. I do not know how many people I have met or personally know that have had windshields crack within the first year of ownership.

13. Oct 1, 2009 at 5:45 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    The company you have isn't the important part- The state you are in is. Some states require windshield glass to be replaced without charge due to safety concerns- Some don't. The key is fixing it as soon as possible insted of waiting for the crack to be across half of the glass.

Ditto about safelite. I have had them repair and replace glass for me and I have never had an issue.
    I also so believe that the glass is made to provide structural integrity in a roll over. It's made to fracture and stick together- that will not provide rigidity...at least not more rigidity than the steel frame beams...

14. Oct 1, 2009 at 6:08 AM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD

I see it selling for $800, shop around and see if you can get a better price. Part number : 56101‑04010

15. Oct 1, 2009 at 7:47 AM
    050309TRDSport

050309TRDSport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Westin Bull Bar, Debadged
    I drove from Phoenix to Southern Arizona and when I got back my wife noticed that my passanger headlight was cracked right down the center. A rock probably got kicked up and broke it. I called USAA and made a report and they said it was comprehensive and that I had a deductible of $500. I asked the USAA Rep. to do some hunting around because I had "AZ full glass coverage" which covered fully all "safety glass on the vehicle". He called me back in 10 min. to tell me that it would be of no cost because it was included in the AZ safety glass coverage.

The next day I went to the dealership (Sierra Toyota) and got a quote for the light and labor ($406.83) and gave the info to USAA over the phone. Two days later I had the money transfered to my account. Overall it took about a week to get a new headlight.

Big Fan of USAA (Legacy Member)

16. Oct 1, 2009 at 8:20 AM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme

While you may have been one of the lucky few, I could get friend after friend, business owner after business owner to come say otherwise. Safelite also is on the billing side of insurance jobs and they pay less if you use someone other than them. So they scare customers into using their services (by telling them they cant warranty the work and blah blah blah); informed customers who don't want to be scammed use other shops, safelite doesn't pay that shop as much as they would themselves.

And to the last part of your statement, nothing could be farther from the truth. OEM glass has a higher standard then any aftermarket glass maker because they have to pass Federal safety standards that aftermarket glass companies don't. But the most important part is that the OEM glass cracking has less to do with the glass as it does with the installation. Safelite uses the cheapest urethanes and molding they can find, and it has been proven that can lead to leaks and cracked windshields.

But, if you have had good experiences then great. I can just say from my many experiences with them and my families. I will never have them touch another one of my vehicles.

17. Oct 1, 2009 at 8:25 AM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:

All you have to do is call up a local glass shop, one that you have used before is best, and tell them that you need your windshield replaced and your paying cash. Ask them for a quote for OEM glass and know what brand is in your truck.

I just checked mine, and it said Toyota United. But PPG or Pilkington glass are OEM manufacturers for Toyota too.

18. Oct 1, 2009 at 9:07 AM
    Snyperx

Snyperx Seniore Marcos

Member:
    I used a company that installs PPG glass for same reasons mentioned above by Masada. The company was Glass Doctor.

http://www.glassdoctor.com/

19. Oct 1, 2009 at 9:19 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    X2! Safelite SUCKS!

20. Oct 1, 2009 at 9:35 AM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    LOL now I feel bad, kind of came off strong. I just hate to see people taken advantage of and Safelite has done that to many people i know...

OH and they have started buying out their competition in order to get a leg up on business.

PS. I have heard good things about Glass Doctor. I just have a friend down in Coolidge that owns a glass shop and has been doing it for 15+ years. I know he does quality work.

Products Discussed in

To Top