1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cracked Windshield Help. Rubber seal removal.

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by nartmot, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Aug 15, 2017 at 1:52 PM
    nartmot

nartmot [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Truck is only 3 weeks old and I got my first cracked windshield in probably a decade. Figures. If only I was driving one inch to the left!

Since the windshield is known to pretty weak on this truck, and since the damage isnt on the drivers side, I decided to try my own repair using the Rain-X repair kit. If the kit just stops the crack from growing, I would be pretty satisfied. The only problem is that the point of impact from the rock is so close to the edge that I cant access all the damage. Does anyone know how to remove this rubber strip? I didn't want to just go tugging on it and adding another part to the list of things I need to replace. Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  2. Aug 15, 2017 at 2:13 PM
    OdiN1701

OdiN1701 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand TRD OR DC SB
    Too late. You can't stop that crack from spreading now. Those kits just fix chips, not those types of cracks.

*EDIT* I looked at the RainX one...it says it fixes the cracks too...I'm skeptical, haven't seen that work but maybe that wasn't on these layered windshields.

Extra Hard Taco and over60 like this.
  3. Aug 15, 2017 at 2:29 PM
    nartmot

Member:
    I will report back with my results, assuming I can easily remove that strip of rubber to get at the damage.

4. Aug 15, 2017 at 2:33 PM
    coopcooper

coopcooper certified youtube mechanic

Member:
    alberta canada
    Vehicle:
    black on black on black 05 trd off road
    stickers and sticker accessory's
    it snaps in a grove along the pillar. just pull up on it

5. Aug 15, 2017 at 5:16 PM
    nartmot

Member:
    Nope. Its glued on there. Fucked up the glue by trying to pull it up.

6. Aug 15, 2017 at 5:38 PM
    LS14ME2

LS14ME2 Kind of a big deal

Member:
    In hiding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 SSM Sport DCSB 4x4
    Center console divider thingy, rubber bed mat and side steps for the wife.
    Honestly, It's a brand new truck, and that sucks, but get it fixed properly.

Joe23 likes this.
  7. Aug 15, 2017 at 8:10 PM
    Lawfarin

Lawfarin Who me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Beetle Juice
    NY
    I inch to the left and you'd have a dented and chipped pillar. Most insurance companies have included glass repair/replacement. Did you look into that?

8. Aug 15, 2017 at 10:41 PM
    Halena Molokai

Halena Molokai Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Black 2016 TRD DCSB OR 4x4 MT6
    BFG KO2 265/70/17 Moto Metal 17x 9 -12mm ToyTec Boss 2.0 lift Kit Wet Okole, Ceramic tint 35% Bakflip F1 Flowmaster Exhaust Single in /Dual out with 3"stainless tips DashMat Covercraft Custom windshield shade Tilt Alarm Weatherbeater Mats Diode Dynamic LED upgrade to interior OEM Bed Mat OEM 5" Chrome Side Steps

nartmot[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  9. Aug 16, 2017 at 6:13 AM
    TexTako

TexTako Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma MGM 4x4 TRD OR DCSB AT
    Agree with Lawfarin. I just replaced the windshield of my wife's car last week due a similar crack. Your's is a brand new truck, so I will try to replace it with a new windshield. Just check your insurance policy. Usually under comprehensive coverage, your can replace the damage (ussually minor damages in windshield with no deductible - for chips, mainly-). Also in my case (I have Travellers Ins.) it was included a Glass coverage provision specifically for this kind of damage and the standard deductible (500$ in my case) doesn't apply to glass/windshield damages. I got a brand new windshield (installed at home) and just paid 50 bucks as deductible for glass damage.
    upload_2017-8-16_8-13-12.jpg

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  10. Aug 16, 2017 at 9:36 AM
    nartmot

Member:
    Maybe a half inch then. It would have been awesome if the rock hit the rubber seal instead of breaking my glass. Definitely prefer broken glass to a chipped/dented A-pillar.

I have Wawanesa insurance, which does not offer glass coverage. They are dirt cheap, though, so I am pretty happy with them.

After messing up the rubber seal, I decided to throw in the gloves and schedule an appointment with Safelite to replace the entire windshield. I was totally on the fence about repairing the damage myself, and the rubber seal was enough to push me over the edge--the extra effort just wasn't worth the crappy looking results I was bound to get. It's going to cost me about $375 total after a $20 coupon. This includes 9% tax and a disposal fee. The coupon is Glass20 in case anyone reading this is in a similar situation. They are a nationwide chain and used by most insurance companies here in CA.

Bravisimo likes this.
  11. Aug 16, 2017 at 9:51 AM
    dman100

dman100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
    Interesting ... I just got my windshield replaced by Safelite due to a rock crack, my cost $100 deductible with my glass policy. I previously had side glass (not Tacoma) replaced by Safelite after a break-in and was really impressed with the tech's attention to detail and diligence removing all the broken glass. But, for 3rd gen Tacoma windshield, red flag alert! When the tech showed up, he told me that their aftermarket Fuyao windshields don't fit the 3rd gen well and he offered to call it in and see if my insurance company would agree to Toyota OEM glass. However that could take some time and I'd have to make another appointment, etc. He was pretty clear ... if it was his one year old truck he would not use the Fuyao glass. But, he said the fit issue was purely cosmetic, no leaks, no extra windnoise etc. so like an idiot I said to go ahead; I mean it's just a truck, not a classic Ferrari. Well, the side seal on the driver's side bulges pretty badly and doesn't follow the A pillar uniformly, and the curvature of the glass across the top doesn't really match the curve of the roof sheet metal either. I really believe the tech did his best to make it fit well and I can't say he didn't warn me. No way would anyone accept that from Toyota on a new vehicle. My truck is a TRD OR with the GoPro mount and the itemized receipt shows the windshield retail price as $940 discounted to $639, plus $20 for installation kit and $102 for labor. Plus tax. On the other hand I had a Pilkington (OEM brand) windshield installed in my T100 about two years ago by a local shop and it was under $300 installed (no insurance involved).

Bravisimo, shakerhood and nartmot[OP] like this.
  12. Aug 16, 2017 at 1:37 PM
    nartmot

Member:

Thanks for the Tip! I have had two windshields replaced by Safelite, ironically, when my last car was brand new. I was really impressed with their service. However, based on your advice, I scheduled an appointment at a local mom and pop auto glass shop. $400 installed for the Pilkington glass. The installer says they also sell an American aftermarket glass called PGG, which is $55 cheaper. He convinced me to stick to OEM, though. Will post a pic when it's done.

Bravisimo and dman100[QUOTED] like this.
  13. Aug 16, 2017 at 2:18 PM
    sxe4533

sxe4533 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edmond, OK
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRDORDCSBAT
    2015 TRD PRO suspension
    i tried the rain-x repair kit! if you sand it down and clean the crack good the fluid will travel down the crack! buuuut the longer the crack the more fluid you need to add and the more fluid you push down the crack the fluid actually put pressure and cause the crack the keep spreading! or you get lucky and the fluid will get pushed out the top! in my case i drilled a hole at the end of the crack and sealed it u can see the hole but the crack disappeared!

nartmot[OP] likes this.
  14. Aug 17, 2017 at 4:19 PM
    TexTako

TexTako Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma MGM 4x4 TRD OR DCSB AT
    I think is the right move, it's a brand new truck. After read the other posts, is a safe bet to get the OEM windshield installed.

15. Nov 6, 2017 at 5:58 PM
    Bravisimo

Bravisimo So many mods, very little money.

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma PreRunner SR5 DCLB
    Tint, headlights wrapped & rear lights smoked, power outlet mod., grill & rear bumper wrapped, Falken A/T 3W,
    Is there anything wrong with getting a Fuyao windshield? I have a crack on my 2014 taco and Im trying t find the best quality / deal out there for a windshield. I think its too late to try to stop the crack at this point as its traveling towards the center of the windshield. Ive heard of other brands besides Fuyao, like PPG, Libby Owens, and carlite. Also heard of ppl going through SafeLite. I here in SoCal so Ive also tried areas near the pic a part places where they have windshield repair/repacement places and do it for real cheap. Last quote got from one of them was $120 installed. That included seals as well.

16. Nov 9, 2017 at 9:09 AM
    dman100

dman100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
  17. Nov 9, 2017 at 1:12 PM
    mmatheny

mmatheny Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Dickinson, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 DCSB Magnetic Gray Metallic
    BakFlip MX4
    I agree with him. Union will kill his business.

18. Nov 9, 2017 at 4:10 PM
    nartmot

Member:

@dman100 advised the Fuyaos don't fit perfectly so I decided not to chance it and pay for the Pilkington (OEM) glass. I ended up going with Southbay Auto Glass in Gardena and the total out the door was $400. Comparable to Safelite but with better glass. $120 sounds crazy cheap.

19. Nov 9, 2017 at 4:14 PM
    Bravisimo

Bravisimo So many mods, very little money.

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma PreRunner SR5 DCLB
    Tint, headlights wrapped & rear lights smoked, power outlet mod., grill & rear bumper wrapped, Falken A/T 3W,
    Yeah, I just opened a claim with my insurance (Wawanesa), and they use safelite. I have my own glass guy who helped repair a chip a year ago and he does replacements. Lucky for me he is in the network. He's gonna get me the OEM Pilkington glass. My deductible is only $200. So I'm happy with that.

nartmot[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  20. Nov 9, 2017 at 4:20 PM
    Joe23

Joe23 Canuckistikian

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    For what its worth. I had a stone chip on mine back around spring time. Pissed how easy it cracked.

I got mine replaced from Speedy Glass. sure there's a US thing just like it. Regardless I got their OE Equivalent windshield.

has the go pro mount and everything. I've had stones hit it since and still hasn't chipped. I'm convinced its actually a better one. It sucked paying $700 for it but oh well. Besides it came with a year warranty in terms of another chip etc.

But also watched them do the install. Ya that stripping on the side is glued. It all gets replaced with the new windshield.

Bravisimo and nartmot[OP] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top