1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cracked winshield removal

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ROTTIRUNNER, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Dec 6, 2009 at 9:25 PM
    ROTTIRUNNER

ROTTIRUNNER [OP] "Who's got the cookie?"

Member:
    First Name:
    Dee or 'D' if ya know me
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    01-PreRunner w/spunk
    Shell, tint, black stock rims-front-rear bumper.
    Hi, I'm new to the forum. I was wondering if anyone has any tips for removing an already cracked windshield. I purchased a friends 03 Taco that he couldn't bare to look at anymore no thanks to the DUI driver that hit him and bent his frame. I have been removing the majority of parts to part out soon. But one of the most troubling is the lower adhesive band holding the windshield in place, I was able to remove the remainder easily. Any thoughs anyone? :confused:

2. Dec 6, 2009 at 9:38 PM
    BG04Taco

BG04Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edmond, OKLA
    Vehicle:
    04 2.7 SR5 4X4
    ARE Camper, JL Audio, Line-X, Yakima roof rack, odyssey 1500, red line hood struts
    Let adhesive remover soak maybe use heat.

3. Dec 7, 2009 at 7:11 AM
    cadman

cadman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pensacola, Florida
    Vehicle:
    TRD PreRunner
    call a windshield replacement shop and ask how it is done.

4. Dec 7, 2009 at 3:53 PM
    WhyteRaevin

WhyteRaevin Member

Member:
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    TRD XtraCab Step Side
    I work in a body/glass shop and change windshields all the time. We use an pneumatic specialty cutter with a curved blade, specifically for cutting urethane. The other not so expensive but pain in the ass method available is something I think is called a piano wire. It's a wire with a T-Handle at each end. You take one of the handles off and push the wire through the urethane (very difficult) then re-attach the handle inside the cab and have a buddy help you slowly pull the wire around the outside edge (you have to pull like a bastard though). Another method we use at the shop is to use a long utility knife (we have 14" knives) to cut the urethane from the inside. Before you do either of these you will have to take apart the hood cowling and windshield mouldings, and most likely you will have to take the trim panels off the side pillers, the dash can stay where it is but be careful swinging a blade around it.

PS if your glass is right smashed out it is pretty easy to get in there with a utility knife blade and cut the urethane. All that holds the glass in is a bead of urethane (similar to silicon, but different lol) about an inch wide around the outside edge of the glass.

5. Dec 7, 2009 at 3:54 PM
    WhyteRaevin

WhyteRaevin Member

Member:
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    TRD XtraCab Step Side
    haha should have read your whole post. Just put pressure on the glass and cut that urethane out. Piece of cake.

6. Dec 9, 2009 at 5:08 PM
    ROTTIRUNNER

Member:
    First Name:
    Dee or 'D' if ya know me
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    01-PreRunner w/spunk
    Thank you all for the advice I will try it this weekend. A thought do you think a guitar string would do the job?

7. Dec 9, 2009 at 5:36 PM
    WhyteRaevin

WhyteRaevin Member

Member:
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    TRD XtraCab Step Side
    A guitar string would do the trick, you could just wrap it on some dowel or something to make handles, but that is the HARD way. If all you have is the bottom of the glass left your best and easiest bet is to have a friend ( or your head) put pressure on the glass from inside the cab and use a sharp utility knife to cut it out.

There is a picture of a guy doing something similar in this article:
    http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/2006/05/01/hmn_feature34.html

It is way easier to cut the urethane with a utility knife than to use the piano wire method. Neither way is fast, you have to take your time and pay attention to where the urethane is still holding the glass. Ever filleted a fish? Make small cuts along the backbone and ribs until the meat peels away in one nice chunk... Same idea involved with a windshield only instead of bone and meat it is metal and glass haha.

The easiest way however is to just rip the glass out of the truck by force (ie: sledge hammer, fists, boots, gloved hands, you get the idea) which will leave the glass stuck to the urethane around the edges. Then use a utility knife to cut out the urethane between the window frame and the remaining glass. Just remember destroying the windshield will result in TINY GLASS SHARDS EVERYWHERE!!!

I just checked You tube there are many vids on how to remove/install windshields.

8. Dec 9, 2009 at 6:47 PM
    ROTTIRUNNER

Member:
    First Name:
    Dee or 'D' if ya know me
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    01-PreRunner w/spunk
    Thank you again, The windshield was cracked due to the crash I just wanted to exhaust all other options before I just broke out the remainder. I hate the idea of glass everywhere, at least I removed 90% of the interior. The air bags I'm just not willing to mess with those they didn't deploy due to side impact. But hi ho hi ho off to my project I go:D

9. Dec 9, 2009 at 6:52 PM
    da0023

da0023 The One, The Only

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner SR5
    none
    are you going to post the parts you have for sale? If so, I might be interested in the cruise control, if it has it.

10. Dec 9, 2009 at 7:01 PM
    ROTTIRUNNER

Member:
    First Name:
    Dee or 'D' if ya know me
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    01-PreRunner w/spunk
    Sure if I can identify it :p I'm just kiddin I'll have the repair manual at the end of the week to help me find some more removal parts and pieces.

To Top