1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Craigslist Gem Find: 1995 2.7l 4x4 5spd single cab 58k miles

Discussion in '1st Gen Tacomas For Sale (1995-2004)' started by Harryhood87, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Aug 3, 2020 at 10:20 AM
    adamr94

adamr94 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab 4x4
    I don't get the hype around buying something so old with so few miles. Let's be real, it's 25 years old which comes out to about 2000 miles a year... in the harsh northeast. I'd much rather have something where it's been driven and has had constant preventative maintenance performed. So the paint looks reasonably nice, but who knows how all the rubber seals and whatever else look after 25 years... especially when you're bidding on it sight unseen. Not to mention the obvious elephant in the room, who knows how that frame looks when you really start to dig.

Just my 2 cents, not that anyone really cares what I have to say tho

edit: also plugged the VIN into the carfax owners thingy (basically lets you see maintenance records, no accident reports tho)... it failed inspection in 2018 which could mean something as simple as window tint or it's unfit to drive

[​IMG]

2. Aug 3, 2020 at 10:30 AM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    From a nostalgia / collectors point of view I understand how there’s a market for anything that tickles people’s fancy however if you’re a diy guy making a restoration project of a regular miles clean example of the equivalent truck makes more sense.

Before getting into messing with stuff myself I’d definitely be one of those guys pining for a used low miles time capsule (even not being able to probably afford it lol)

3. Aug 6, 2020 at 3:02 PM
    Xtremsiege2

Xtremsiege2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Norwalk CT
    Vehicle:
    21' LR Pro. Lots of fast bikes
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Aug 6, 2020 at 3:12 PM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    No frame pics someone’s gonna have a poopy day when they pay 9 grand for a frame replacement case

Grossomotto likes this.
  5. Aug 6, 2020 at 4:25 PM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
  6. Aug 7, 2020 at 7:45 AM
    Xtremsiege2

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Norwalk CT
    Vehicle:
    If you look through the photos closely the seller is hiding the poor frame areas, and looks like he coated it to cover some areas of poorer condition. Theres a few areas you can see in the wheel well and a reason he has a million photos but very few of the frame. Its not awful, but not a top dollar gen 1 becuase of that..IMOTacoma_181.jpg Tacoma_163.jpg

Tacoma_168.jpg

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  7. Aug 10, 2020 at 6:25 AM
    Xtremsiege2

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Norwalk CT
    Vehicle:
    1995 Toyota Tacoma SX 4x4 5-speed 58,000 miles!
    NO RESERVE! Only 58,000 miles, clean Autocheck, 5 speed manual, 4X4,all original
    See original listing
    1995-Toyota-Tacoma-SX-4x4-5-speed-58-000-miles
    Item Sold
    Condition:
    Used

“The exterior of this classic Toyota Tacoma 4x4 is in beautiful condition. There are no major ” ... Read more
    Ended:
    Aug 09, 2020 , 10:12PM
    Winning bid:
    US $11,291.00
    [ 69 bids ]

8. Aug 13, 2020 at 11:31 AM
    FishTacos90

FishTacos90 New Member

Member:
    Wow. So glad I found this forum...

I’ve been looking for a pristine Taco for a few years, I’ve passed on a few looking for the right one.

This popped up on my ebay. His number was in the description so I immediately contacted him. (John)

John said he wanted me to throw out an offer so I offered $6500. The offer price is now rather funny to me knowing that was probably around the original craigslist selling price.

I got him in the phone and he said 10k. So I set up to meet him the next day. I was super frustrated because he kept blowing me off. First it was 11am, then noon, noon became 2,3 became 4 before you know it it’s 6, and no confirmed address or time.

oh and between 2-3pm he texted me saying “new buy it now is 12k” haha

I shoot an ebay message (seemed like someone else may have been answering,
    Saying how unprofessional John was and couldn’t be bothered with the simple questions i had (could have been answered by just letting me see the truck).

I gave John one last call (around 6:30) AND HE WAS PISSED. “Why would you send a message like that Blah blah”.... SCREAMING AT ME...

I said listen... I’m trying to buy the truck. You have been playing games all day. I need to look at it. It’s as simple as that. Your making impossible. Do you have a time and place? Otherwise you are wasting both of our time.

He called me a scammer, I’m asking too many questions, and told me to bid if I was serious. At this point a lot of red flags, So I ended the conversation with “good luck selling the truck.”

Fast forward to me placing a 12k bid at the last minute and winning at $11,291. (I know I should have just listened to my instincts and red flags and walked away. (But if it is the holy grail I don’t want to miss)

I pay the deposit (hoping i can finally see this thing) and I get a message from Matt saying thanks for the deposit, I heard you had a “shakey” conversation with John, sorry we will wipe the slate clean and Matt will take over from here...

Then I find this forum....

I guess my curiosity got the best of me this time, and I’d obviously be a fool to pay 11k for this vehicle.

I guess my question to you guys is...
    What is this truck worth?

What do you think this guy (clearly A pair of craigslist flippers) pay for the truck?

Thanks for the long read,
    and any comments you may have is much appreciated.

Also for reference I’m not some rich kid that has thousands of dollars to piss away... I’ve always loved late 80s early 90s tacos, and i would love to have a time capsule type piece like this in my collection. :/

Krogers128 and Harryhood87[OP] like this.
  9. Aug 13, 2020 at 11:36 AM
    Harryhood87

Harryhood87 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2004 Xtra Cab 4x4 Lunar Mist 260k+
    265/75/16, Yak Q towers
    Welcome to TW. If you decide to follow through with the truck, use this website as a resource to get the truck up par for you if needed. We never got any great photos of the frame, and as far as I know the option of one person of this forum, the frame was no good from pictures sent from original seller on Craig's. It's best to look at that frame asap. You may be able to contact ebay and back out the sale if you can determine description doesnt match truck. Either way, go see your truck. If it speaks to you then follow your heart. Everything looked super clean and if truck needs minimal work I dont think you over paid. And if it makes you feel any better, after ebay fees those guys probably got less than 10k for the truck.

10. Aug 13, 2020 at 12:18 PM
    adamr94

adamr94 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab 4x4
    If the frame is in pristine shape, it's worth whatever it's worth to you. With that being said, it wouldn't surprise me if this belonged to someone who's had it for 25 years, just thinking "it's just an old pickup, can't be worth much... ". It does have low miles, so that's a plus I guess. The frame is questionable until you see it. I don't think it's rotted through but nobody will know until you crawl under. Vagueness of the pictures lead me to believe it's far from perfect. After talking with the seller I wouldn't have bid on it and pardon my french, fucked right off. If a seller isn't willing to let you see a vehicle while it's on auction, calling you a scammer, he's got something to hide.

With regards to what it's worth to me, I don't think it's worth 11k. If it was the rare single cab with the V6, perhaps... but it's not. The front end and some trim is the only difference between a 95 and a 04 regular cab 4x4, minus a few things like ABS. I honestly would pay somewhere in the realm of 7-8k if that's what I REALLY wanted.

Sorry for all my rambling, 11k is a lot of money for a truck that isn't even considered a "classic" yet... at least to me. I would cut my losses and lose the deposit but I'm not you.

Products Discussed in

To Top