1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Crank Pulley Bolt Removal - Easy Way!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SManZ, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Feb 18, 2012 at 8:40 PM
    Gincoma

Gincoma Special Edition Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:
    RIPieces 2005 Tacoma, adios 2011 :'(
    Factory Monster Truck Package with reverse gear.
    I used a proper breaker bar and set it on frame and crank the motor for a millisecond ....wham bam and done the easiest way

2. Feb 18, 2012 at 8:43 PM
    SManZ

SManZ [OP] Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    I never owned and don't know much about automatics, so I can't help you with locking up the drivetrain.

Try putting your truck in park (or start the truck, put it in drive, and shut it off) then put a 22mm socket and breaker bar on the crank pulley bolt. Can you turn the crank? If not, you should be ok to use the method I posted.

3. Feb 23, 2012 at 7:05 PM
    dvd0020

dvd0020 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    08 Off Road Double Cab
    TRD supercharger, 4.88 Nitro gears, Doug Thorley long tube headers, aFe stage II intake, Pro Comp 6" DB lift (Icon Coilovers, Alcan 6" Springs, Bilstein RCD rears), NST lightweight pulleys, Morimoto mini projector retrofit for Spyder headlights, Cobra CB, 4' Fire stick, Pioneer AVIC-U310BT head unit, 2 10" alpine S, CBI Moab 2.0 front bumper, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, NFAB tire carrier, custom Colorado pinstripes
    What about re-installing the pulley on an automatic?

4. Jun 16, 2013 at 4:55 PM
    armyoffoo

armyoffoo Scrotie McBoogerballs

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra CM TRD Sport
    I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to say thanks for the tips. It helped a bunch with my pulley swaps! +1 :D

raco.the.taco likes this.
  5. Jun 15, 2015 at 11:23 AM
    foampile

foampile Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mid-Atlantic
    Vehicle:
    2007 V6 4WD 6 speed Extended Cab
    How important is it to adhere to the spec vs just using a regular ratchet and play by ear on tightness ?

6. Jun 15, 2015 at 12:30 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Oil pump on our trucks works as sandwiched between crank and timing gear. There is no key on it. So if you f up torque, your oil pump will not push oil correctly.
    Don't Skipp it, do it right..
    If you torquing to spec, get new crank bolt. After so many years existing one may explode on you. They supposed to stretch.

GilbertOz and foampile[QUOTED] like this.
  7. Jun 15, 2015 at 1:17 PM
    Lester Lugnut

Lester Lugnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    N of Mex-S of Canada-E of LA-W of NC
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 Auto
    Bumping the starter method works fine as long as you are sure which way the crank pulley is turning; you anchor the breaker bar accordingly and take measures to prevent an unintentional start while bumping the starter. I haven't had to do a 2nd Gen 4.0 yet, but if I did, I'd first determine crank pulley rotation direction.

As far as disabling the ignition goes - on other vehicles, I've first pulled the fuel pump relay fuse then started the vehicle and run until it dies. Try and start again. Do it repeatedly until it won't start. Doing this relieves fuel pressure - an alternative to disabling the ignition. If you have a method to disable the ignition - then use it instead if you like. To repeat, I would not bump the starter until I was sure the vehicle had no chance of an unintentional start.

Once you've either killed the fuel supply or disabled the ignition, you can bump the starter.

When done with your work, reinstall fuel pump relay fuse and turn ignition switch to first position. Wait a few secs - let fuel pump prime and reestablish pressure.

Start truck.

GilbertOz and R0dzilla75 like this.
  8. Jun 15, 2015 at 3:02 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Just hit the starter make sure you have the breaker bar planted against some thing twist the key you'll hear the bar hit the frame some times it takes more than one try turn the engine off. If it runs then the bolt socket and bar will be on the ground it will do no damage to any thing if it starts. All engines I know of all turn the same way clock wise at the pulley end except for a Corvair otherwise this trick would not work.

9. Jul 13, 2016 at 12:33 AM
    Boomkanani

Boomkanani Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Goldsboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD OffRoad DCSB - 6 Speed
    Some stuffz
    Thread revival!! Use the bump start to remove, but what about re-tightening the crankshaft pulley bolt?

10. Dec 6, 2016 at 4:33 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    You have a manual. Put it in 5th or 6th gear, and torque away.

11. Dec 6, 2016 at 4:41 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Reference who I quoted. :thumbsup:

12. Dec 6, 2016 at 8:30 PM
    Boomkanani

Boomkanani Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Goldsboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD OffRoad DCSB - 6 Speed
    Some stuffz
    My truck has been sitting in the driveway for 6 months waiting for someone to reply! Haha but seriously, I put it in 5th and tightened. Just seemed like it was so much pressure, didn't know if it could potentially dmg something.

13. Dec 7, 2016 at 4:46 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    I tried to get here as fast as I could.

14. Feb 5, 2017 at 8:55 AM
    SlapChop7

SlapChop7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM DCSB OR 4x4
    What about an automatic? :D

15. Feb 5, 2017 at 11:46 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Engine bump method, or a hammer against a breaker bar.

16. Feb 5, 2017 at 11:50 AM
    SlapChop7

Member:
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM DCSB OR 4x4
    Yea I have no problem doing the engine bump method for taking the bolt off. I'm just trying to figure out a simple way to retorque the bolt without having to pay $60 for a tool that I'll only use once.

17. Mar 30, 2017 at 11:17 PM
    PJL

PJL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    2003 xcab Tacoma 4x4
    Stock
    Might sound like a stupid question but can you also loosen the bolt by putting the manual in 5th gear and using breaker bar?

18. Mar 31, 2017 at 5:35 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Yes. Much easier than an auto.

Norton likes this.
  19. Jul 30, 2017 at 9:47 PM
    MurderedTacoV2

MurderedTacoV2 Booty Admirer

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hudson, New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco TRD OR
    3 inch lift, B110’s, Dakars, Dirty5’s, Dual Locked
    So just how did you get the bolt to retorque after you had done all your work? So it seems the bump start is the way to go by running the fuel pump out of fuel, take everything out and replace balancer and whatever you want. But how did you manage to torque it down after on the automatic?

20. Jul 31, 2017 at 3:21 PM
    SlapChop7

Member:
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM DCSB OR 4x4
    I ended up buying an air impact gun to loosen it and rented a ft lbs to wrench to tighten it. Had to put a bolt in the pulley and chain it to the frame to keep it from spinning but it worked.

Products Discussed in

To Top