1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Crashnburn80's Supercharged Gladiator Mojave Build

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by crashnburn80, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Jun 15, 2022 at 6:33 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    Frankly thats a great deal and i'm 99% going to take them.... Can you send package dimensions/weight so I can quote shipping?

2. Jun 15, 2022 at 6:40 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 [OP] Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Will do!

3. Jun 15, 2022 at 6:46 PM
    308savage

308savage Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB
    Leveling kit, roll bar
    Have you thought about the price on these? How many are there?

4. Jun 16, 2022 at 7:53 AM
    JustDSM

JustDSM Oderint Dum Metuant

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Ogden, UT
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ford Raptor
    I'm interested in the filter and Tazer. If you'd like to PM me we can discuss.

5. Jun 18, 2022 at 11:52 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    How about $15/ea. I think I have 7 in white but need to double check. Unused.

PM sent.

308savage[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Jun 19, 2022 at 5:24 AM
    308savage

308savage Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB
    Leveling kit, roll bar
    I only need 2 or 3. If you want to split them up let me know.

edit: I'm out, may be trading trucks

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  7. Sep 16, 2022 at 11:46 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    This POS Jeep isn't worth a fraction of my 20 year old Tacoma.
    BA3DE006-3D66-467D-A29B-A769E7F0FB98.jpg

I went and picked up my Jeep today. It didn't just die once, in the middle of an intersection on a major roadway causing traffic fiasco, it died twice. It was kind enough to throw error codes telling me it needed to charge the batteries, so some systems were going offline, but then didn't charge the batteries and just died in the roadway and wouldn't restart. This is the biggest piece of shit vehicle I have ever owned and the engineering is absolutely pathetic. The truck runs a dual battery system, the primary is the traditional starter, the secondary is a smaller battery to run all the truck systems. While the primary AGM was fine, the secondary failed and despite failing 2 months ago and getting replaced with a new OEM battery, it still failed again, disabling the truck even though the main battery had full power. What's worse, to access that secondary battery requires removal of the main fuse box, the main system sub harnesses, the main battery and a sub-panel under the fusebox and battery.

Charging both batteries after disassembly
    705C2276-1D2B-437B-A9F7-111DD593B870_1_201_a.jpg

Fuck this truck
    Fuck Jeep
    Fuck FCA
    Fuck Stellantis

I've never hated a vehicle or brand more than this one. Never again will I buy an FCA product.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
  8. Sep 17, 2022 at 12:11 AM
    TacoTuesday1

TacoTuesday1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    This is how I feel about having bought a 2nd gen instead of a 1st gen; don't know if/how wrong I might be

The best battery charger is CTEK ($50).
    Dealers have sophisticated testers better at finding out for sure if a battery is faulty or not. I imagine they could run that test and if found to be faulty, replace it under warranty for free (or cover whatever else the issue may be)

DJB1 likes this.
  9. Sep 17, 2022 at 12:19 AM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    2nd Gens are bullet proof as long as it wasn't an 05-06 with the head gasket issues. Zero regrets. Mine was an absolute champ with zero issues over 65k miles and major boost mods:
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/sold-2015-supercharged-trd-or-pro-clone-for-sale.685662/

@JasonLee now owns it.

As far as battery stuff, you might want to check out the battery thread.
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/the-northstar-agm-battery-voltage-booster-upgrade.604478/

10. Sep 17, 2022 at 12:36 AM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    LOL! You missed the part where my entire engine bay exploded, the Jeep threw rods through both sides of the block, and the Jeep nearly went up in flames with flames in the engine bay. Jeep told me to fuck off for warranty. But not before first giving me a free loaner for a week, then coming back and telling me that actually they were not going to cover the loaner a week later and I'd have to pay full premium retail on the vehicle they had lent me for free. I cannot begin to convey how shady FCA is in weaseling out of responsibilities and how different that experience is from Toyota.

If you are a Star Wars fan, Toyota is the light and FCA is the darkness.

doublethebass and ColoradoTJ like this.
  11. Sep 17, 2022 at 4:46 AM
    daveeasa

daveeasa FBC Harness Solutions Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma OR DCSB 6MT, 2005 RC 5MT PreRunner, 2002 Tundra SR5 RCLB 4x4
    Oh, sorry, just saw this post. Head gasket issues? Any more detail on that? I assume the 4.0 rather than the 2.7?

12. Sep 17, 2022 at 5:49 AM
    doublethebass

doublethebass aspiring well-known member

Member:
    First Name:
    Antoin
    Minneapolis MN
    Vehicle:
    ’17 6MT Pro
    What a shit show. That hidden second battery nonsense is a huge fail. Sounds like you had to get towed?

The 6MT JLs are having clutches that burst into flames. Not covering the vehicles under warranty because clutches are wear parts. Jeep’s recall “fix” is to de-tune the engine so less power gets to the transmission, not to actually fix the parts that are catching on fire. If you get a Jeep, get the warranty, and even then make sure you’ve got a Toyota for when they don’t hold up their end of the deal.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...uals-overheating-clutch-pressure-plate.47887/

13. Sep 17, 2022 at 7:55 AM
    TacoTuesday1

TacoTuesday1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    I remember that. I know for a fact certain automakers don’t care in regards to other components unrelated and was hoping that was a case. For example an ECU tune voids replacing an engine under warranty but not other unrelated things like a battery

14. Sep 18, 2022 at 12:44 AM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Nothing more than google can provide, 05 and early 06 on the 4.0. Chances are if it hasn't failed by now, 16+ years later, you likely are in the clear.

No, I refused to get it towed. Since Jeep "covers towing" under warranty, but then denied my towing claim sticking me with yet another bill they had promised to cover (sense a theme yet?). I pumped the gas to get it restarted (which should never be needed on an electronic throttle vehicle) then once it started mashed the gas till the electronic throttle limit held it at 3k RPMs and I held it there for ~5+ minutes (the first time) in park trying to get the alternator to give the battery enough juice. But the instant I put it in gear it would die. So I just repeated this process for longer and longer periods of time. Even with a dead battery, a running vehicle should be able to run on alternator power. Vehicle failure due to insufficient battery charge on a running vehicle shouldn't be a thing on a modern vehicle. After multiple failures and much embarrassment I was able to limp it home by making sure I never came to a stop/slow enough speed where it would die. Its pretty cool to sit in a 1 year old $70k truck blocking traffic in an intersection and have it just simply not be able to start, and if it does start put it in gear and have it die again.

Yes, in theory the battery should be replaced under warranty. How many 1 year old trucks do you know that are on their 3rd OEM battery? However, I'm never going back to a Jeep dealer again, for anything.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
  15. Sep 18, 2022 at 4:54 AM
    doublethebass

doublethebass aspiring well-known member

Member:
    First Name:
    Antoin
    Minneapolis MN
    Vehicle:
    ’17 6MT Pro
    Wow what an annoying adventure

16. Sep 18, 2022 at 9:48 AM
    skierd

skierd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150 XL STX Screw 4x4 2.7
    Holy crap what a pile of crap. I still love the look of the JL but I’m getting happier and happier I got an f150 instead (with the 2.7 and not the power boost).

17. Sep 18, 2022 at 7:24 PM
    20somethingwidataco

20somethingwidataco Yes, my avatar is a real car.

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD SPORT M/T
    ACLB 6 SPEED: Suspension: Bilstein 6112s (3rd perch) (F) Taco Lean Spacer Bilstein 5160s (R) TSB Leaf Pack Wheelers Offroad 3 leaf progressive AAL Wheelers Superbump Front Duro Bump U bolt flip kit Duro Bump progressive bump stop 3rd gen TRD offroad sway bar Wheels and Tires: Summit Racing Wheel Dakars (Polished Silver) 285/70r/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrax (Load D) "Performance": AFE CAI with custom powdercoated white filter cover MagnaFlow Performance Series Exhaust URD Cam gears XTP Intake Manifold Spacer OTT Torque Tune Brakes: Stoptech Slotted Rotors TRD ceramic pads Wheelers offroad SS brakelines (Front) Interior: Kenwood DD headunit Oem Subaru Kicker Tweeters Alpine 6x9 (Front) & 6.5 (rear) (With Taco tunes speaker mounts) Alpine 500 watt amp Sound Deadening (Doors, Rear "wall", Roof) ODI Rouge Shift Knob Weather Tech Mats Painted/wrapped trim pieces Console Safe Console Vault Gridx Organizer Ram Phone Mount Meso Customs dual color map lights Meso Customs dual color dome light Wet Okole seat covers (Black) Wet Okole center console cover (Black) 1" Seat Raisers (Driver & Passenger) AJT Designs climate control and 4x4 knobs Back Up Camera Lighting: Retrofits (Mini H1's, RGB Halos, 5500k Bulbs)(Lenses wrapped in self healing PPF) Diode Dynamics SS3 Max SAE (Yellow) Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro (Yellow) Driving lights Anytime fog mod Rigid Industries E series 32" Combo bar (spot/flood) Diode Dynamics XPR Reverse Lights Diode Dynamics XP80 turn signals LED brake, parking lights and license plate lights Armor: Apex All Pro sliders BPF steel skid plate Bigass Trailer Hitch Camping/Storage: Leer canopy LED interior lighting Sleeping platform (Storage underneath) Removable snowboard Yakima mounts Extra D rings in bed (6 total) Custom Powder coated white snow shovel with custom bedrail mounts Amazon special Traction Boards Hi Lift 48" Jack with custom Rail mounts to accommodate my sleeper set up Other: All pro Bed Stiffeners Relentless Fab tailgate panel TRD sport graphics (Turd Gen spec) Anti Sun glare hood scoop wrap (Satin Black) Custom FleeBay grille 4 Hella supertones ECGS needle bearing 4 patches (for now) BPF shackle mount (With smittybuilt shackle) Tinted windows (Front/Rear + Full canopy)(18%) Meso Customs gasshole AVS inchannel window visors Diff Breather Kit 2012-2015 Oem Turn signal/folding mirrors (w/ sequential signals) 2012-2015 Oem LED taillights Full Size (285/70r17) spare DIY Larger Engine Splash Guards DIY Vipercut
    @crashnburn80 I know of a place in Anchorage, AK that throws shit off of cliffs every summer....

18. Sep 19, 2022 at 6:08 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Checked the voltage on the Jeep’s OEM AGM starter battery this morning and it was low. Sigh. It was at 12.8v on Friday and by Monday it had dropped to 12.2v. An AGM should have no problem bouncing back from a low charge state and holding a charge again. Meaning either the battery is failing or there is a drain in the truck. The truck is in completely stock configuration other than the supercharger, so it shouldn’t have a drain, but I have negative faith in this POS now. Once again put the truck back on the charger to recharge the battery. I didn’t check the smaller secondary battery that runs the primary vehicle systems because of how buried it is in the truck. And the fact Jeep mixed battery chemistry with a lead acid battery and AGM is just asinine.

Once recharged I drove it straight to a dealer and sold it for a substantial loss. I don’t even care anymore, I am so relieved this POS is gone and the nightmare can finally end.

On to new and more exciting vehicle adventures.

19. Sep 19, 2022 at 7:02 PM
    daveeasa

daveeasa FBC Harness Solutions Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma OR DCSB 6MT, 2005 RC 5MT PreRunner, 2002 Tundra SR5 RCLB 4x4
    Is now a good time to say I told you so?

Hugs man, hugs. Next time I’m nearby I’m dumping a case for you and a few gallons of ice cream for the kid.

20. Sep 19, 2022 at 9:42 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    I’ll take the I told you so-s on this one. I knew FCA was at the bottom in quality rankings, right there next to Land Rover. My brother’s 9 year old LR has been a walk in the park by comparison. I understood the potential for it to be bad, but on something brand new I did not expect it to be this much of a dumpster fire.

To Top