1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Crashnburn80's Supercharged Gladiator Mojave Build

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by crashnburn80, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Apr 23, 2021 at 11:42 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 [OP] Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Well, I sold my Taco for it. So...

A brief comparison; Tacomas drive better. IFS > Solid front axle on the street, significantly less unsprung weight and more responsive street suspension. Rack and pinion steering > recirculating ball, R&P provides better steering feedback whereas the Gladiator is a bit vague. The equivalent Tacoma DCSB is 6" shorter with a 10" shorter wheel base, which provides a more compact platform and better break-over angle. The Tacoma also has far more interior storage. The Gladiator is somewhat of a dinosaur that just shouldn't exist in this era, with its ridiculous brick shape and solid front axle and removable body panels. I've had a Jeep in the past, and nothing will ever compare to driving a topless truck. If you are not interested in the topless/doorless experience or a solid front axle, the JT is a hard sell IMO. You can easily put much larger tires on the JT than a Tacoma, but the positioning also puts the chassis closer to the ground. I have more belly clearance on my Tacoma lifted 2.5" with true 32s than I do on my JT with 35s. I love Toyota trucks, Toyota builds an absolutely phenomenal product. But no mainstream brand even remotely builds a more dedicated off road product than Jeep. Things like extended axle breathers and internal underhood snorkel for maximum water depth fording, floor drains, front locker, reinforced front spindles for jumping, electronic disconnecting swaybar, available 4:1 t-case, available 4.10 grears, factory sliders, high clearance fenders for 35s and so much more make the Tacoma appear pretty watered down. Granted these are not features most people would actually use. As a practical vehicle the Tacoma is better in nearly every way. As an irrational emotional purchase, the Tacoma doesn't hold a candle to the Gladiator if you were into any of the things I previously mentioned.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  2. Apr 23, 2021 at 11:52 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Mildly annoyed when parts are made as multiple pieces for better packing content, and not because it is a better design.
    8277C882-224D-4C10-915B-63FB103A9726.jpg

Softtop installed, even though the pieces shown above really didn't want to line up for the install.
    52A24B9F-6386-46D3-A1CD-B5D31332EA7A.jpg

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    ExplorHer likes this.
  3. Apr 25, 2021 at 7:24 AM
    Anderson

Anderson Dudemanbro

Member:
    First Name:
    Anderson
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    ProBro
    Stuff
    I think we just became best friends...

4. Apr 26, 2021 at 9:29 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    I'm not a huge fan of the cosmetic bulk in the back with the Gladiator softtop down. But the top does only take roughly 20 seconds to put up or down and is far easier than a wrangler in dealing with the windows, so I think the trade off is worth it. So much so I find myself even putting it down for short drives for the open air experience. The Twill top also has less road noise than I expected. So far this is an outstanding purchase for the truck and I'll likely run it 5-6 months of the year in the PNW.

1A087108-861B-47BD-BDF5-90941408CF4C.jpg

Dirk Diggler likes this.
  5. Apr 27, 2021 at 11:55 AM
    PAKraig

PAKraig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kraig
    Central Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB 4x4 in Silver Sky
    OME suspension and 285/70R17 BFG KO2s
    Catching up on your build a little today, but...........This right here. :thumbsup: Crazy the amount of equity I have in my 2017 DC OR. Seriously, KBB retail has it at the SAME value as what I paid for it not quite 3 years and it now has 68k miles (I bought it 14 months old w/ 20k miles.)

What's going on w/ Tacoma value?? Chosen vehicle for the apocalypse or what??? :eek:

6. Apr 28, 2021 at 12:17 AM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    A mod I really enjoyed on my TJ was Bestop's 2-piece fabric doors. They really didn't do anything that great honestly, but provided amazing flexibility. So much easier to put on/off than full doors and you could break them down and throw them in the back. Easy to dismiss the value of ease of use, but I'd take the doors off in a heartbeat with fabric doors, or even just run the half doors. But taking the steel doors off was an effort and commitement. And while going doorless was great on a sunny day, it meant the repeated effort of putting them back on when the weather turned, which isn't uncommon in the PNW. On the newer JT, double the amount of doors and add electrical connectors.

1B9A28D6-28C0-4EFB-9F62-212014F65CD9.jpg

So I bought in on Bestop's pre-season sale and ordered a set of twill doors front and rear with their 10% off rebate.
    https://www.bestop.com/products/ful...?childId=ea429046-68ef-45c8-9ed2-0a6a0dbd1af5

I did feel the price was extortionary, but I'm certain I will run an open air cab far more often with this product than I would otherwise and that is part of the reason why I bought this truck in the first place. I'll order the Bestop mirror additions as well.

Camping season is coming up quick and I still need to get an RTT rack for the Gladiator, get the 1/2" lift on each end to allowing installing the full length tummy tuck skid system in (which I still need to order as well). And that supercharger sitting in my living room isn't going to install itself.

Anderson, daveeasa and doublethebass like this.
  7. Apr 28, 2021 at 6:08 AM
    daveeasa

daveeasa FBC Harness Solutions Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma OR DCSB 6MT, 2005 RC 5MT PreRunner, 2002 Tundra SR5 RCLB 4x4
    My neighbor has some sort of cart/rack for storing the metal doors when not in use. Then he also has some sort of trail door he rotates in, metal but open. Granted So Cal has maybe 10 days of rain at most. If the cart/rack isn’t something you already know about I can ask him sometime or get a photo. I think I was tempted but didn’t want to make him uneasy by taking photos of the inside of his garage.

7B5547F9-F5E8-4553-B9CB-1FBE353D9D6F.jpg

crashnburn80[OP] likes this.
  8. Apr 29, 2021 at 12:03 AM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    I had the rolling rack that stored the doors inside the hard top for my TJ, but haven't seen anything like that yet for the JT.

I originally set out for tube doors (mainly for mirrors in front and kid in the rear), but with cooler night temps and rain in the PNW those would have to be regularly traded out for hard doors, which makes tube doors seem more trouble than they are worth. When it was just me I'd throw on a jacket and rock it, but now I need to consider others. And for the mirrors, I've been stopped multiple times for running mirror-less. I'm now at a point where I just don't want to deal with that BS anymore. The 2 piece doors seem to offer the right combo of flexibility, even if the price is stupid.

9. Apr 29, 2021 at 10:36 AM
    Nateclimb

Nateclimb Well-Known Member

Member:
    UT
    Vehicle:
    15 Inferno Pro SC'ed
    Thanks for all the info! I found out that in my area on Turo I can get a Gladiator Rubicon so I figure I will rent it for a few days and see what I think.

doublethebass likes this.
  10. Apr 29, 2021 at 10:54 AM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    The Rubicon's are pretty sweet. Won't have the torque of a supercharged 2nd Gen, but that is more than fixable with Magnuson's JL/JT 440hp blower. :D

Anderson and doublethebass like this.
  11. Apr 29, 2021 at 10:56 AM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Anderson likes this.
  12. Apr 30, 2021 at 3:29 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    OEM Audio Plus finally released their Gladiator system. A little disappointed that the upgraded subwoofer consumes all the behind the seat storage. And some serious sticker shock on the price vs the Tacoma's system.
    https://oemaudioplus.com/jeep/jt-se/

13. Apr 30, 2021 at 3:36 PM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Price is high but sub looks nice to me. If you need a wingman for the install...

14. Apr 30, 2021 at 8:08 PM
    Nateclimb

Member:
    UT
    Vehicle:
    15 Inferno Pro SC'ed
    Another question, do you tow at all? Are you worried about the reviews of how the mojave tows?

With the money for a Mojave and a supercharger I'm wondering if I would be better off with a raptor?

15. Apr 30, 2021 at 9:57 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    I don't tow much at all, aside from some rare equipment rentals, I haven't had the need. I'm not worried about the reduced towing capacity. Any performance truck with extended travel off road suspension and over sized tires will have reduced tow capacity vs other trim levels. My 2nd Gen has a higher tow rating than the almighty Raptor, because the Raptors tow rating is watered down for the same reason. If looking for high tow rating the Gladiator Max Tow package has the highest tow rating of a mid-size truck. While I don't tow much at all, I'd still opt for the tow package to get the auto trans cooler, the higher power engine cooling fan and I believe the higher output 240A alternator, plus every truck should have a hitch should the need arise IMO.

A Raptor and Mojave are completely different animals, despite being both billed as desert jumpers. While the price can climb alarmingly high on a Mojave quickly getting into Raptor territory with a SC, the Raptor would never fit on the trails I'd take a Jeep or Tacoma on. If you are not into the removable top and doors, or the solid front axle, or just the dinosaur-like concept of the Gladiator, a supercharged 3rd Gen is a much closer comparison than a Raptor, at a much lower price. Raptors are awesome trucks, and in the open deserts of Utah there are likely certainly more opportunities to use one than more tight technical trails of the PNW. Really it is going to depend on how you use your truck and what you want out of it.

Here is MotorTrend's review. They note that the Mojave suspension is better performing than the Raptor.
    https://www.motortrend.com/cars/jeep/gladiator/2020/2020-jeep-gladiator-mojave-first-drive-review/

Nateclimb likes this.
  16. Apr 30, 2021 at 10:25 PM
    Nateclimb

Member:
    UT
    Vehicle:
    15 Inferno Pro SC'ed
    Again, thank you for all the info! I don't tow anything heavy but have an awesome little camper. 1971 that's 6'4" wide 11' long 6'4" tall, probably weights 1200. I use a weight distribution hitch and I literally pulls like a dream!

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/the-2021-jeep-gladiator-mojave-isnt-actually-good-at-being-a-truck/

MotorTrend’s reviewer says, “the truck was nearly undrivable and borderline dangerous pulling a trailer.” Essentially, the stability and sway control features in base model Jeep Gladiator models are not features included in the Mojave trim package.

The 2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave was not designed to do truck stuff. If you want a truck that does the thing you expect a truck to do, there are plenty of better options. It makes you wonder why Jeep bothered to invest in upgrading hauling and towing capacity, which adds to the Jeep Gladiator Mojave’s starting price. To be fair, the Mojave trim was meant for a different purpose.

17. Apr 30, 2021 at 10:57 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    While I don't yet have experience towing in the Mojave, I'd have absolutely zero concerns towing a 1200lb trailer. The Gladiator is a longer wheel base and heavier platform than the Tacoma, both adding to stability. While a heavy longer trailer may have sway issues that can be mitigated by sway control electronics, I wouldn't be concerned about a 1200lb trailer swaying a 5000lb truck, unlike the article where they are towing a trailer that is heavier than the truck.

'Not being designed to do truck stuff' is a click bait title. Despite being a more extreme build than the 2nd Gen TRD Pro, the numbers are extremely similar in both tow capacity and payload capacity. So that would also mean 2nd Gens are not designed to do 'truck stuff' either. These are not full size trucks, and don’t have full size towing and hauling abilities. 2nd Gen has a shorter wheel base and is lighter vs the Gladiator, both worse for towing stability and also lacks trailer stability control. If you want max payload, max towing and best trailer management, it will never be in the extreme off road performance models. If you are happy with your 2nd Gen the Gladiator Mojave will not disappoint in these areas, as the ratings are nearly identical. If you expect a true truck workhorse like an F150 (non-Raptor) with 13,000lbs towing and 3,300lb payload with no real off-road features, you are in for a rude awakening. Truth is though the majority of people don't need that. Most use trucks for hauling odd items, home depot runs, home improvement projects and towing campers or boats. If you own a Tacoma and it does what you need, the Gladiator will easily as well. If your coming from hauling with a full size, realistically your not going to be looking at a mid-size to replace your payload and towing needs.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  18. May 1, 2021 at 1:53 AM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Fuck it. Full send. I'm the first to order.

upload_2021-5-1_1-48-5.jpg

19. May 1, 2021 at 3:41 AM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    From what I know about you and your preferences, I think it’s the right choice.

20. May 1, 2021 at 10:43 PM
    Gnarman

Gnarman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southwest
    Vehicle:
    2016 dbcb trd off road quicksand lb
    ARB Shell, BP51, 255/85/16 ST MAXX, SCS Ray 10 Matte Bronze, Caliraised led 32 inch/side shooter/amber pods, floor mats, start x remote start, auxbeam 8 gang switch panel, diode dynamics hid lows, Australian Shepherd
    “an irrational emotional purchase, the Tacoma doesn't hold a candle to the Gladiator if you were into any of the things I previously mentioned.” this is why I want a gladiator lol no reason other than they are just badass

To Top