1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Crawl control worth it?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by DRAWN, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Oct 25, 2015 at 7:34 PM
    DRAWN

DRAWN [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 QUICKSAND AC SR5 4X4
    Sliders, 6112's, full skids.
    In AT you just have to switch to S mode and shift down to first gear. It works the same.

Arailt and DoorDing like this.
  2. Oct 25, 2015 at 7:52 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    I have a 2nd gen, so there is no S mode, but unless Toyota radically changed their auto transmissions, manually putting the truck in 1st gear will not prevent the truck from accelerating down hill in the same way a manual will. It will definitely help, but not the same. This is why auto trucks have down hill decent control while manual trucks don't and just use first gear instead.

3. Oct 25, 2015 at 8:46 PM
    Ice Horse

Ice Horse Stalking horse

Member:
    First Name:
    Lauren
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    98 3.4L V6 TRD Ext. Cab 4x4 SR5
    ADS Racing Shocks 2.5" Extended Travel Coilovers with Reservoirs, 3 inch All Pro rear suspension kit, factory E-locker, Trail Gear sliders and front stinger bumper, CBI Offroad rear tube bumper, XRC8 Winch, 33 inch BFG KM2's, 16 inch Ivan Stewart Wheels, Uniden CB radio, flip up license plate, white tail lights, LED front signals, Tundra front brake upgrade, new radio, rock lights, sub woofer, remote start, satoshi grille with Prius emblem, Rigid DOT/SAE Fog Lights, 12" Light Bar
    I'm not trying to be rude, but I'm guessing you don't do a whole lot of high level offroading. Will people use them that often for newer trucks like the 2016s? Probably not too often, but they won't be brand new forever. Lots of second gens go out with us and use theirs. But saying lockers are not regularly used by experienced off roaders is far from the truth. I use my locker on pretty much every trail I run and many trails cannot be done without lockers. Why do you think people buy front and rear lockers?

Arailt likes this.
  4. Oct 25, 2015 at 8:53 PM
    Z50king

Z50king DCLBOR4X4FTW

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB Off Road 4x4 Super White
    Stock and loving it
    because they look good on the highway?

Wait, that's bull bars and tube steps. shit.

tpotnoc and kgarrett11 like this.
  5. Oct 25, 2015 at 8:54 PM
    Ice Horse

Ice Horse Stalking horse

Member:
    First Name:
    Lauren
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    ADS Racing Shocks 2.5" Extended Travel Coilovers with Reservoirs, 3 inch All Pro rear suspension kit, factory E-locker, Trail Gear sliders and front stinger bumper, CBI Offroad rear tube bumper, XRC8 Winch, 33 inch BFG KM2's, 16 inch Ivan Stewart Wheels, Uniden CB radio, flip up license plate, white tail lights, LED front signals, Tundra front brake upgrade, new radio, rock lights, sub woofer, remote start, satoshi grille with Prius emblem, Rigid DOT/SAE Fog Lights, 12" Light Bar
    Derp :p

nagorb likes this.
  6. Oct 25, 2015 at 9:19 PM
    EnFuego

EnFuego Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Taco TRD OffRoad Inferno
    Actually they must have radically changed the auto trans from gen2. In 4Lo and shifting the auto trans to 1st gear will absolutely prevent the truck from accelerating downhill. Just like a manual but without the clutch.

Arailt and DoorDing like this.
  7. Oct 25, 2015 at 9:56 PM
    mojavejohn

mojavejohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mojave Desert, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2018 Dbl. Cab Off Road MT
    I just got back from playing with the CC. I like it a little better than before. I'm still not sure that it's any better than a MT with ATRAC, I'd like to drive both to have a valid comparison. I drove my truck up and down a 15-18% grade that was rough rock/hard pack. This was an old rocky two track that went up to an old mine in the Mojave Desert. I tried two wheel drive, and I might have made it if I really romped it up to the top, but who wants to do that and break up their truck. I made it up in 4hi, no MTS or CC, no problem. I didn't come down in 4Hi because I didn't want to ride my breaks that much, so I shifted into 4Lo. Even in 4Lo I needed to use the breaks to get down the hill at a safe speed, the engine breaking was good, but not quite good enough. Another trip up I used the CC to see how it would work. I wasn't to impressed, in this situation, it obviously wasn't needed. When I got to the top I had to back around to get turned around. I put it in CC at this point and backing around was easy, but still nothing that I couldn't do on my own. I could see a potential for it coming in handy if you had to back up a long way. The time that I really liked it was going forward downhill. It held the truck at a slower speed than the trans. did on it's own. I had the CC in position 5. Other than the annoying noises coming from under the hood, I liked it. More testing is definitely needed!:mudding:

8. Oct 25, 2015 at 10:13 PM
    Dagosa

Dagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD OR
    Debaged
    Sorry.....have you ever see it perform ? The numbers are settings but they are average mph,like active cruise control. They DO NOT MAINTAIN a steady speed of 5 mph. They slow down and speed upon according to the terrain. I order to do this, the wheels will move at varying speeds.

9. Oct 25, 2015 at 10:19 PM
    DRAWN

DRAWN [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 QUICKSAND AC SR5 4X4
    Sliders, 6112's, full skids.
    They must have changed their transmissions because its gotten me down some insanely steep hills. Iv'e used descent control in other Toyota vehicles and I really didn't like it. You would start going fast then the car would brake itself suddenly, a little unsettleling.

10. Oct 25, 2015 at 10:44 PM
    Dagosa

Dagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD OR
    Debaged
    You are making up things I did not say ! Please reread my post, don't insert what you think I said, and then apologize.
    You made one statement..".will people use them in newer trucks like the 2016 s ? Probably not " which is "the some" because that is what the thread is about.....then you proceed to what, invent your self into something I did not say from there ?

Since when did " rear lockers for SOME are a fetish " become experienced off roaders IN YOUR MIND ?

The "some" or those who post questions about these trucks and then say they will seldom go off road...start talking about adding lockers to their trucks, or using them in snow for God sakes. For these people, "the some" I was talking about, which is in reality the MAJORITY of Taco owners a locker is a waste of time. At the very least for them if will be seldom used and used ONLY in the exact way I discribed...or not at all.

That is another way of saying it.....did I still say "experienced off roaders ? No.
    That is a very small number of Taco owners. The majority of 2016 buyers, will not be in that category.

Now, my experience off roading is different. I did not play off road . Our state is heavily forested and driving equipment, including excavators, dozers and trucks carrying crews along with back hoes and tractors are all used.
    I have a job to do this week where I have to move bank run gravel off road to a road area to do repair. I will use a tractor and I may have to use the locker on it.....but it won't be engaged all the time and I will use it exactly the way the manufacturer intended. If I have to use a 4 wd one ton dump truck also, I will do it the same way. I probably have done more off road driving then most who do it for fun.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  11. Oct 25, 2015 at 10:51 PM
    Ice Horse

Ice Horse Stalking horse

Member:
    First Name:
    Lauren
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    :notsure:

T-Rex266 and nagorb like this.
  12. Oct 25, 2015 at 10:52 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    How many times can you retread a post before you have to just buy new ones ?

DoorDing and Ice Horse like this.
  13. Oct 25, 2015 at 11:06 PM
    HAVVOKK

HAVVOKK Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2014 DGAF Long Bed
    Fucking look it up
    FB_IMG_1436409373980.jpg
    :popcorn:
    I'm gunna sit this one out and just see where this goes
    I mean crawl control going up or down a steep slope isn't going to help because the oil pressure problems :boink:

14. Oct 25, 2015 at 11:08 PM
    HAVVOKK

HAVVOKK Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2014 DGAF Long Bed
    Fucking look it up
    FTFY

15. Oct 25, 2015 at 11:19 PM
    Dagosa

Dagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD OR
    Debaged
    http://www.whyhighend.com/crawl-control.html

Here are some directions for activating CC. You place the transfer case in 4 L and the transmission in D or reverse.
    Apparently it does shift the gears in the transmission for you. It does not ask you to select a gear.

16. Oct 25, 2015 at 11:24 PM
    Z50king

Z50king DCLBOR4X4FTW

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Stock and loving it
    Wikipedia says,

Rock crawling is an extreme form of off road driving using vehicles anywhere from stock to highly modified to overcome obstacles. In rock crawling, drivers drive highly modified four-wheel-drive vehicles such as trucks, Jeeps, and "buggies" over very harsh terrain. Driving locations include boulders, mountain foothills, rock piles, mountain trails, etc.

Rock crawling is about slow-speed, careful and precise driving, and high torque generated through large gear reductions in the vehicles drivetrain. Rock crawlers often drive up, down and across obstacles that would appear impassable. Such vehicles to rock climb are primarily 4x4s.

Rock crawling competitions range from local events to national series. A rock crawling competition consists of obstacle courses that are about 100-200 yards long. Each obstacle is set up with gates, similar to a ski course.

17. Oct 25, 2015 at 11:46 PM
    Dagosa

Dagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD OR
    Debaged
    Lockers should be used briefly and strategically as needed.

18. Oct 25, 2015 at 11:47 PM
    Z50king

Z50king DCLBOR4X4FTW

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Stock and loving it
    or for donuts. People buy it for donuts

Razgriz likes this.
  19. Oct 25, 2015 at 11:48 PM
    Dagosa

Dagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD OR
    Debaged
    Absolutely .

Walogo likes this.
  20. Oct 26, 2015 at 12:32 AM
    Derek G

Derek G Well-Known Member

Member:
    Silverton CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DC
    Maybe someone knows the answer, but if you don't have crawl control does that mean you don't also have ATRAC? ATRAC is definitely worth it so you might have to get crawl control to get ATRAC. I played with crawl control in my TRD OR yesterday but nothing extreme. It seems like it could be beneficial in certain situations.

Products Discussed in

To Top