1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Crazy Auto Insurance Story about my truck

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Brianone20, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Mar 3, 2010 at 7:38 PM
    Brianone20

Brianone20 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    brian
    CA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    Brush Gaurd PIAA's
    Wondering if anyone has ever heard of this happening to anyone else? I just wanted to write this up to let YOU ALL know, we have rights and if you say the right things and are persistent you CAN get what is entitled to you. If you don't, well you won't.

13 months back, $38,690 later, 1 totaled tacoma and I'm happy, finally!

My friend rolled my 06 tacoma back in Feb 09. I thought it was a gon-er for sure. But for whatever reason, my insurance company decided to repair it. $13K worth of damage, I thought wow, that's kind of low for what I'm seeing. 3 months in the shop and I get the call to pick it up! Looks great, the bodywork was amazing, but when I got into it and started to ride home is when the nightmare really began. The truck pulled so hard to the right that I almost crashed on my 30 minute drive home. The truck went back in the next day. No truck again for a week and they said it was pulling b/c of shitty tires and bad alignment. They did the work and it made no improvement. Back in and back and back in...

Without going into too much detail, because its a very long story, I'll make it quick... 8 tires, 5 alignments, 4 new wheels, 11 trips to the shop at 4 different shops, truckless for 5 of the last 13 months and $16K worth of total repairs later, my insurance company decided to total my truck!!!!

I threatened, , perpetually called and hassled, did everything I could possibly do within my legal rights to win this case. I got a check for $22,690 today, so they grand total of the deal for them was $38,690! What a mistake.

The moral to this story is that so many times they tried to sweep it under the rug and I never let off them. They will try and run you into the ground and make you sick of dealing with it so that you just say "forget it" and keep what you have. My truck wiggled down the road and ruined tires fast. IT was only a matter of time before I could prove it.

DONT ever accept "it's good enough" from an insurance agency. They have money to pay out, much more than we do so know your rights and make sure that your repaired trucks are in"PRE ACCIDENT CONDITION" if you ever have an accident. It is your right! If anyone is or ends up dealing with a poorly repaired truck, please feel free to hit me up for advice. I've learned a lot over the last year about this stuff, too much.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!

2. Mar 3, 2010 at 7:43 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...That's pretty ridiculous that they wanted to repair that kinda damage....Glad you got it worked out tho.
    Congrats!! What are you shopping for now??

3. Mar 3, 2010 at 7:44 PM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 F-150 5.0
    RIP to my 08 Prerunner DC
    Nice Glad everything worked out the way you wanted in the end.

4. Mar 3, 2010 at 7:53 PM
    Nightstr

Nightstr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Felipe
    Sacramento CA
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner sr5
    BLHM BLWM 3" TOUGH COUNTRY LIFT TRD SEAT COVERS THULE RACK M/T KM2 265/65/16
    Awesome Brian, good to hear you finally got your check! time to go get a new Toy. Thanks again for everything you hooked me up with. If you ever need anything let me know, I owe you one.

5. Mar 3, 2010 at 7:58 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    BRAVO!!! good for you for sticking with it for 13 months, looks liek you got everything you deserved when things worked out, and oyu showed the insurance company they should have listened to you.

but now the question is.......got a new taco yet?!?!

6. Mar 3, 2010 at 8:56 PM
    RZRob

RZRob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Anaheim Hills
    Love your success story. Just had to fight a Mexican insurance company when my truck etc., got stolen in Mexico during the last Baja 1000. They kept lowballing me, and I wouldn't give in. 4+ months later I finally won and bought a fresh (to me) '06 Taco. Significant upgrade for me.

RZ Rob

7. Mar 3, 2010 at 10:16 PM
    Brianone20

Member:
    First Name:
    brian
    CA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    Brush Gaurd PIAA's
    No worries Felipe! Glad you came out and grabbed the goodies before it was gone! Im still a taco at heart, but went with a Tundra. Needed the extra bed space for my snowmobile and toys. I think this summer I'll build up an older tacoma and just use the Tundra for workin.

RZRob, that's a wild scenario. I can't believe that you actually did get money from the insurance company, especially abroad like that. Just crazy, good work!

8. Mar 4, 2010 at 12:47 AM
    eschonle

eschonle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    eric
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 V6 SR5 4x4
    TRD Cat back Exhaust, Leer Shell, BHLM, Satoshi Grill
    persistence pays off! Glad everything turned out good for ya

9. Mar 4, 2010 at 12:58 AM
    Dellosa89

Dellosa89 Love peace and Taco Grease

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Murrieta CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner TRD Off Road
    Fox 2.5 Coilovers, Camburg 1.25" UCA's, Icon RR, Icon aal,EVS foam bump stops, Borla Catback, HID Headlights and fogs, Defiant light bar, 3 hella 700 hid, Satellite Radio, Sony hu with 10'' sub, custom jetski rack, TRD seat covers, secondary air filter removed.
    Thats crazy man, glad everything worked out and at least you got another toyota. If you dont mind what insurance company did you have?

10. Mar 4, 2010 at 8:14 AM
    Brianone20

Member:
    First Name:
    brian
    CA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    Brush Gaurd PIAA's
    I'll send you a Pm, they did end up settling this thing so I don't want to bad mouth them.

11. Mar 4, 2010 at 8:30 AM
    raskal311

raskal311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S. Cal
    5100 set to max, pending LSD and TRD CAI
    Here is my story... New Year eve someone took my Lexus out of my driveway, three days later the insurance told me they will be paying me out at $500 more then what I paid for it three years prior. $15 min after talking to the insurance agent the PD called and said they found my car. I called the agent and told him they found the car. He asks if I still want them to pay me out, I said heck yeah!!! A day later a new Taco was in my drive way!!!

Rep to 21st Century Ins :D

12. Mar 5, 2010 at 12:19 AM
    Brianone20

Member:
    First Name:
    brian
    CA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    Brush Gaurd PIAA's
    Oh, heck ya! Thats like a dream come true! Congrats on the new ride!

13. Mar 5, 2010 at 12:28 AM
    tacomaparty

tacomaparty Well-Known Member

Member:
    power to the people!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top