1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Creative Security

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Dannny boy, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Mar 27, 2017 at 12:40 AM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Television is a good example of a technology that hasn't helped humans get smarter on average - when comparing the ratio of thoughtful or educational programming compared to things that appeal to people's less insightful sides...

2. Mar 27, 2017 at 12:40 AM
    Dannny boy

Dannny boy [OP] Stab it and Steer

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2002 loaded salvage, and a brand newly aquired 2000
    grey wire, buzzer yank, last click defrost, tack welded column, deckplate, intake silencer delete, led map/red overhead, led backups, underhood dual battery, onboard air, CS-144 big fucking alternator, big fucking alternator wiring, overhead rifle rack, airbag pistol safe, cab to camper 12 volt evap cooler, bug screen cab windows, onboard shower, solar panel and beer fridge!
    I GOT NUTHIN'

3. Mar 27, 2017 at 12:42 AM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    I was talking about this with someone today who worked for the company that developed the online maps for South Korea - I said it would be good to make an app that helps people become familiar with their surroundings in gps navigation. People seem to rely too heavily on it when I'm in the car with them - I use it too (the map, not the voice), but not to the degree where I have no idea of my cardinal directions or landmarks in case I get a little turned around.

Rburdeaux[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Mar 27, 2017 at 12:44 AM
    Rburdeaux

Rburdeaux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2004 Double Cab Prerunner
    i disagree on that. entertainment is a good thing. it is a good break from overworking ur brain. television is ubiquitous now. so it can educate a lot more people than almost everything. except maybe the internet.

5. Mar 27, 2017 at 12:46 AM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Fair enough. I wasn't trying to say entertainment is bad - but if you watch entertainment from other parts of the world, say Japan (and I know they have some weird stuff, but bear with me on this) you'll see greater character development and more thoughtful plot lines in most of their programming, especially for kids. Entertainment is good, but I don't think anyone's getting any smarter from Jersey Shore.

6. Mar 27, 2017 at 12:48 AM
    Dannny boy

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    grey wire, buzzer yank, last click defrost, tack welded column, deckplate, intake silencer delete, led map/red overhead, led backups, underhood dual battery, onboard air, CS-144 big fucking alternator, big fucking alternator wiring, overhead rifle rack, airbag pistol safe, cab to camper 12 volt evap cooler, bug screen cab windows, onboard shower, solar panel and beer fridge!
    YA, we are a fragmented race strugglin' to just cross that finish, like a herd of crippled champions, touching really but really - hang up and drive.

tcjacado and Dalandser like this.
  7. Mar 27, 2017 at 12:52 AM
    Rburdeaux

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    you were saying television was a good example of not helping humans on average. i just think its the complete opposite. i think people should embrace it! connection to the internet is like an immediate access to humanities knowledge.

Dalandser[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Mar 27, 2017 at 12:53 AM
    Rburdeaux

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    what??

9. Mar 27, 2017 at 12:58 AM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Wait a minute. Television is not the internet. I'll go a little bit more in the direction I intended my statement to go: mass media lowest common denominator entertainment. Plays on biological tendencies towards mating, eating, aggression, and fears that are probably mixed in doses that are a little too strong to be productive for most people. Insightful, thought provoking information is usually my go to for entertainment. I'm thinking that most of the country isn't interfacing with this kind of thing when they turn on their boxes (now screens) at night - if that doesn't make sense then I'll submit to this: television is what you make of it, just like any other tech.

tcjacado likes this.
  10. Mar 27, 2017 at 1:00 AM
    Dannny boy

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    I guess the meaning is, anything that serves to distract and obfuscate can be turned upon the consumer with negative and disasterous results. Did anyone conceive it would be normal to type into a little bitty screen with both thumbs while piloting a 3,000 lb steel missile at 70 MPH?

Dalandser likes this.
  11. Mar 27, 2017 at 1:03 AM
    Rburdeaux

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    if that doesn't make sense then I'll submit to this: television is what you make of it, just like any other tech.

well i guess u can say that about anything. invalid argument ...

Dalandser[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Mar 27, 2017 at 1:04 AM
    Rburdeaux

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    yes

13. Mar 27, 2017 at 1:05 AM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Alright. Well you can enjoy TV. It's not my favorite thing to be around - my parents watch it nightly, but I'm more of a youtube / forum kind of guy. I feel like I benefit more from those things. No harm meant. Just stating my 2 cents. :)

14. Mar 27, 2017 at 1:06 AM
    Dannny boy

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    I will remind you gentlemen, that the mark of an educated man is his willingness to entertain contrary points of view. Sexist language not intended - just sounds better in Jeffe-sonian.

Dalandser likes this.
  15. Mar 27, 2017 at 1:08 AM
    Rburdeaux

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    why are people such luddites? technology is great. i just texted my friend from my phone, communicated with you on this website from my computer, and watched stand up comedy on my tv. i did all of this after i ordered a sandwich and pasta from my computer, after that i gave myself insulin from my insulin pump.(lots of carbs :mad:) type 1 diabetic..

Dannny boy[OP] and Dalandser like this.
  16. Mar 27, 2017 at 1:08 AM
    Dannny boy

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    so, that's normal? what Jetson's reality do you live in?

17. Mar 27, 2017 at 1:09 AM
    Dannny boy

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Still gotta drive man, that's kinda the point here.

18. Mar 27, 2017 at 1:09 AM
    Rburdeaux

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    its not jetsons. its the current reality. we do type on phones while driving our vehicles. illegal now where i live.

19. Mar 27, 2017 at 1:10 AM
    Dannny boy

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    an ... for good f'n reason, do you still do it? dream a little dream

20. Mar 27, 2017 at 1:11 AM
    Rburdeaux

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    moores law. anyways this is getting off topic. i use a club and lock all my doors.

Dalandser likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top