1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Creative Security

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Dannny boy, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Mar 27, 2017 at 1:12 AM
    Rburdeaux

Rburdeaux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2004 Double Cab Prerunner
    yes i still do it. but now i usually just talk into my phone. "siri" check tacoma world!

2. Mar 27, 2017 at 1:16 AM
    Dannny boy

Dannny boy [OP] Stab it and Steer

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2002 loaded salvage, and a brand newly aquired 2000
    grey wire, buzzer yank, last click defrost, tack welded column, deckplate, intake silencer delete, led map/red overhead, led backups, underhood dual battery, onboard air, CS-144 big fucking alternator, big fucking alternator wiring, overhead rifle rack, airbag pistol safe, cab to camper 12 volt evap cooler, bug screen cab windows, onboard shower, solar panel and beer fridge!
    ok, hear that, I gotta ask SIRI to check the troposphere for low flying objects in my commuter zone. til then, club good, smart phone bad.

3. Mar 27, 2017 at 1:20 AM
    Rburdeaux

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    smart phone great! club=deterrent!

4. Mar 27, 2017 at 1:25 AM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Danny Boy seems not to mind a little off topic banter on this thread... anyway cases where "technology" is bad:

2004 South East Asian Tsunami:

This is a second report that I've seen where people that are more in tune with nature and less "plugged in" survived this event. The original I saw on the nightly news at my ex-gf's parents'. People have a range of technologies at their disposal, but the ones they choose to employ may or may not be helpful to them at the time. The old guy interviewed on the news warned the people to run up the hill on their island was using a very old tech, story telling to remember what he was told when he was young about the ocean going out and to get to high ground.

The fishermen from the island all survived as well. The only modern tech they used were ic engines on their boats. The commercial fisherman all were caught off guard despite their radar and communications systems and drowned in the tsunami. The islanders read the ocean and remembered stories and so they drove out as far as they could and reached the wave before it crested. All of the people survived on that island while many unfortunate people in a relatively technology rich environment died that day on the shore.

Here's a couple for gps related instances where tech was counterproductive to the worst degree:

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/05/death-by-gps/

http://www.sacbee.com/entertainment/living/travel/article2573180.html

Obviously technology helps a huge amount of people every day including me. I wear contacts, have a titanium rod in my leg that fixed a broken femur, and like learning on the internet. However when people say unilaterally that it's a good thing, I believe that a more thoughtful approach is required in order to make such a determination.

5. Mar 27, 2017 at 1:36 AM
    Rburdeaux

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    there will always be outliers. and freak accidents. i do agree with you to an extent.sometimes i just like going outside and playing in the park or sand. soccer or volleyball, flag football with friends... walking on the shoreline with family or friends. (usually when sun is setting or just set.)etc.. it's a good break from it all. but outliers are insignificant to try and backup ur point.

Dalandser[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Mar 27, 2017 at 1:37 AM
    Dannny boy

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    grey wire, buzzer yank, last click defrost, tack welded column, deckplate, intake silencer delete, led map/red overhead, led backups, underhood dual battery, onboard air, CS-144 big fucking alternator, big fucking alternator wiring, overhead rifle rack, airbag pistol safe, cab to camper 12 volt evap cooler, bug screen cab windows, onboard shower, solar panel and beer fridge!
    Situational Awareness. It cannot be achieved from book study. The old timers in my former profession used to refer to it as a "slide show" It's all of the experiences you've had and the collection of impulses they've created which allows a minute change in wind direction, sun angle, air chemistry to cause you to act ever so slightly to the left, right, any manner at the precise moment. Can never be achieved after watching even a thousand UR-TUBED vids.

7. Mar 27, 2017 at 1:38 AM
    Rburdeaux

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    i just re read my post and im kinda scatter thought right now. it didnt make much sense.. its almost 2 am..maybe i should get off this technology...

8. Mar 27, 2017 at 1:40 AM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    The thing is you have to be thoughtful of your interaction with technology otherwise there may be things that are affecting your life in ways that may be counterproductive. You can do what you like, but to live without thoughtfulness seems like a lack of appreciation for what life is. Please review the term unilateral and think about how this would relate to outliers as well.

9. Mar 27, 2017 at 1:43 AM
    Rburdeaux

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    yes. outlier.
    i am thoughtful. ur last sentence doesnt make sense. relating to ur original post about how some tech is bad on average. its not.

10. Mar 27, 2017 at 1:44 AM
    Rburdeaux

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    emphasis on AVERAGE. unilateral contradicts what u originally were trying to debate...

11. Mar 27, 2017 at 1:45 AM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    That was just about television. Never said anything about technology in general. If you look at what's on TV on the average night I'd probably be able to find more stimulating things to occupy my time with than what's on there. I believe you overgeneralized what I was saying and included internet, smart phones, etc. I started to engage you in those technologies and whether they are always beneficial or not once the topic shifted away from television. In all fairness this is a really deep debate taking place on a truck forum - not the best interface for having these kinds of discussions I'm sure. lol

12. Mar 27, 2017 at 1:50 AM
    Dannny boy

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    lets not stand on symantics. the point is there's really no place in a purist motorist's process for distractions. We are simply talking about vehicles and the user's thereof and even that is a stretch for this thread.

Dalandser likes this.
  13. Mar 27, 2017 at 1:53 AM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    As OP your say will be law :)

Speaking of purists I remember reading in the 90's that when magazine writers would head to Germany they noticed there were no cup holders and no one would eat in their cars - plus they said you could be chased down for passing on the right on the Autobahn and beat up. Not sure how much of that was fact vs. myth, but it sounded like they wouldn't approve of texting either.

How to keep your vehicle from being stolen? Park it next to your window where your computer is and stay up all night talking about weird sh!t on tacomaworld so you can see if anyone's creeping up on it...

14. Mar 27, 2017 at 1:54 AM
    Rburdeaux

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    thats why i said its getting off topic. locked doors and club. i would also like to add a security system to the car so i can lower my insurance. AAA is butt crushing me. i dont like it.

15. Mar 27, 2017 at 1:55 AM
    Rburdeaux

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    my roomates ducati motorcycle got stolen from our parking lot like 2 months ago. i dont live in the best neighborhood! its definately is mexico right now. im like 5-8 mins away from border

16. Mar 27, 2017 at 1:56 AM
    Dannny boy

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Seig Hiel man.. I sleep in my truck what are you talking abou?

Dalandser likes this.
  17. Mar 27, 2017 at 1:57 AM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Goes back to the ratchet strap to keep your camper shell door shut while you're inside. If you sleep in the cab, respect.

18. Mar 27, 2017 at 1:57 AM
    Rburdeaux

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    danny boy, you are kind of strangeo_O you ok?

19. Mar 27, 2017 at 2:02 AM
    Dannny boy

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Gotta reference the thread man, life's strange, you're strange this place is f'n strange. I can count on one hand the amount of things ripped off from me since I moved to the place where I'm at. All I could think of when bringing my new box trailer home was I better remember how to back one of these into my compound and shut the gate fast before anyone see's I got something of value.

20. Mar 27, 2017 at 2:03 AM
    Rburdeaux

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    word.

Products Discussed in

To Top