1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Credit Card credit limit question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by jeremy_283, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Nov 9, 2011 at 9:29 PM
    jeremy_283

jeremy_283 [OP] Super Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad Access Cab 4x4 Auto 4.0L
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    If a person likes to make every single one of their purchases with a credit card due to cash back rewards and they pay their bill in full every month. Let's say it's a $2000 credit limit yet one month they make $3000 in purchases with the credit card but they make an advanced payment of $1500 mid month on the current balance of $1800 to avoid going over their credit limit. What is this viewed as? Would the said person have gone over their credit limit since their total purchases for the bill cycle was greater than their credit limit or will it be viewed as they had an $1800 loan (credit) and they made a payment of $1500 before end of cycle bringing the total to $300 then they spent $1200 more which brought the total balance at the end of the cycle to $1500. Just curious as to a good credit score is important to me.

2. Nov 9, 2011 at 9:37 PM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    Making your payments, and not missing a payment is what improves your credit score.

You don't even half to pay the full amount, just as long you at least make the minimum payment each time your bill is due reflects well on your credit score.

The amount you decide to pay, paying before the bill is due, or paying off the entire principle each month is just your money management skills, and from my experience, is neutral to your credit score (Does not improve or negate).

As your credit builds, then you gain the trust of credit companies which would entice them to send you lower interest credit cards, preapprove you for loans, points, miles, etc...

3. Nov 9, 2011 at 9:39 PM
    drewskie

drewskie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Burbank, CA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner 4 banger
    I believe your credit limit, is your credit limit, so you cannot pay the 1500 you are talking about in advance so to speak, and spend 3000 on the card.

4. Nov 9, 2011 at 9:41 PM
    jeremy_283

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    So does going over a credit card's credit limit hurt a persons credit score as long as they make the minimum payment at the end of the billing cycle?

5. Nov 9, 2011 at 9:43 PM
    jeremy_283

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Credit is like a temporary loan on money right? And if your credit card company allows payments at any time of the month and you pay in the middle of the month the $1500 then you never went over the "credited" limit? Is what I thought?

6. Nov 9, 2011 at 9:46 PM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    from what i know... for the best credit you dont want to spend over 40% of your credit limit

7. Nov 9, 2011 at 9:49 PM
    Ghoster

Ghoster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baltimore
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner DCSB
    Going over the limit will not be good. Never exceed the limit. However, if your bank (and most do) credit the payment at the time of receipt, then that amount is restored to the limit. The total spent on the card is not cumulative toward a monthly amount. Your limit is ALWAYS the limit, at no time can you exceed it at one time. In theory, you could spend $2000 today, pay the bill tomorrow, and as soon as it is credited, spend $2000 again.

That said, every credit card and company has different rules, so consult your own terms and conditions.

Also note, if you can pay the full amount, you are better off. Most credit cards report monthly to the agencies. So if you had a $10 balance last month, and this month you have a $2000 balance, it will have an affect on your credit score. HOWEVER, once you pay that off, it will also have an affect. I have noticed $500 balance will lower my score a few points, then it will come back up the next month when I pay it off.

8. Nov 9, 2011 at 9:49 PM
    Tillers_Rule

Tillers_Rule ......................

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Sport, debadged
    Icon coil overs up front, Total Chaos UCA, Icon remote reservoir in the back with Deaver 11 pack leafs. Sunroof, Hella 500's behind grill.
    Your credit limit is the amount of credit (or money loaned) you can draw at one time. So, if you don't have more than 2000 on there (which you don't, or you'd go over your limit and the transaction would have been declined), it doesn't matter how much you charge up and pay off in a month, week, day or hour.

9. Nov 9, 2011 at 9:52 PM
    cummins6speed

cummins6speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Limited Edition
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    Im not sure I understand what you are asking. You want to make a purchase that would put you over your credit limit and then pay a large portion of it off before the end of the billing cycle?

I think that would still be seen as exceeding your credit limit

10. Nov 9, 2011 at 10:01 PM
    hpvds

hpvds Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manie
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    Barcelona Red 2010 4x4 Doublecab
    Ironman 4x4 FCP lift, ARB bumper, NL Dual bats, Skids and sliders
    I have done this before. I contacted the credit card company and made an advance payment of 10k so that I could then use the credit card to pay tuition and get the miles. (Also did the same w/ my sisters tuition to get additional miles)

Don't quote me on this, but credit agency's shouldn't be able to see how you use you card, just if you "default" or fail to make a payment, and at the end of the billing period how much of your credit is utilized (this number of utilization is not always reported at the end of a billing period and may be reported to the credit bereaus at anytime.)

Or at least that how it was explained to me. I use my card as a convenience and never miss a payment. If because one month I spend close to the credit limit and my score drops a few points I don't mind too much as this has a minimal impact + the gain in miles --> free annual trip home to South Africa makes it worth it.

EDIT: Never during this whole time did I go over the credit limit, it showed up on my account ahead of making the payment as having a balance of -10k, same as a a return to store would show up.

11. Nov 9, 2011 at 10:05 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Well I don't know about ^^^a but Capital One wont let you pay more than 10% of your current bill over... so you couldn't just have credit hanging out in there

12. Nov 9, 2011 at 10:17 PM
    hpvds

hpvds Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manie
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    Barcelona Red 2010 4x4 Doublecab
    Ironman 4x4 FCP lift, ARB bumper, NL Dual bats, Skids and sliders
    My card has the same thing preventing an over payment, I had to actually call them and send them a check to make the advance payment.

But with regards to what he is asking, if he spends 1500 and then pays it off, his credit limit is back to what it originally was. What will get reported to the Credit bereau is the utilization at the time that the report is made, like instant MPG, what ever the utilization is at that point. So if your credit limit is 2000 at that point when the report is made and your balance is 1500, your utilization is 75% that is the number that gets reported even though over the course of the month you used the card for say 4500 in purchases, not how you have used the card over the past month.

When you log into your account, it should tell you what your credit limit is at any given time, once the payment clears, your remaining credit should go up by the value of the payment.

Products Discussed in

To Top