1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cross Country Move-Need tow ready truck

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BreezyTaco, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Feb 21, 2010 at 7:41 PM
    BreezyTaco

BreezyTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Pioneer Indash GPS, JL Audio Speakers, FM Alarm, Euro Tail lights, Blue Dash Lights, Trailor Hitch, Painted Fiberglass A.R.E. Tonneau Cover
    So I posted on here that I am moving to Corpus Christi, Tx from San Diego, Ca. It is about 1500 miles roughly. I have two cars the truck and a Toyota Matrix. My truck is not tow ready, but I was thinking about just hauling my Matrix. I read the towing bible, but just want to reassure myself that this is the best thing to do, given the cost of buying all the stuff to make it tow ready, versus just driving the tacoma and the matrix. Can someone also let me know exactly what my SR5 4x4 V6 4.0 Tacoma needs to become tow ready. Thanks.

2. Feb 21, 2010 at 7:49 PM
    Stillfly199

Stillfly199 ( . )( . )

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
  3. Feb 21, 2010 at 7:51 PM
    Anathollo

Anathollo www.saveadane.org

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Icon coilovers, Rear Fox Resi-shocks, 285/70/17 Toyo A/T's, Touchscreen JVC Headunit, Custom Rhino-lined sub box, Rocksford Fosgate components and Dual Rockford Fosgate 10" shallow subs, Pioneer and Rocksford Fosgate amps, 1250 watts total, Autometer Volt and Trans gauges with Lotek A-pillar, K&N Drop-in filter, WO Seat covers, Tint, NST WP pulley, Hi-lift jack, Diff breather mod, horn relocation mod, extra "D" rings, de-pinstriped, carrier bearing drop, Rear backup 886 bulbs, Camburg UCA's, AMW Catch can, BHLM, OME Dakars with AAL, Procomp 7089's, Front single hoop Demello bumper, Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500, Amsteel 3/8th synthetic line
    yeah you can got to UHAUL or somewhere and buy a hitch.

4. Feb 21, 2010 at 8:18 PM
    BreezyTaco

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Pioneer Indash GPS, JL Audio Speakers, FM Alarm, Euro Tail lights, Blue Dash Lights, Trailor Hitch, Painted Fiberglass A.R.E. Tonneau Cover
    I forgot to mention that I bought a hitch off of Unholy...that is all that I have right now, either way tow or not getting prolly an AFE CAI before the move.

5. Feb 21, 2010 at 9:11 PM
    Stillfly199

Stillfly199 ( . )( . )

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    Oh so you need to know what you need in addition to that?

6. Feb 21, 2010 at 9:16 PM
    ttylerr

ttylerr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fort McMurray, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM 4Banger 4x4
    5% tint all around, Alpine IVA-W505, 16x8 Mojave Teflon Rims w/Hercules Terra Trac 265/75, Grillcraft Grill, Slimcubby HIDs, Front 5100's @ 0 w/Eibach 1.6" springs, URD Short Shifter, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, Uniden Pro510XL and K30Mag Mount, Relentless Fab Bumper soon to come
    a cai wont help you tow anymore... I'd take the money your gunna spend on a cai and put it towards a tranny cooler. Also leave lots of space between yourself and any cars infront of you if you don't have a trailer brake controller

7. Feb 21, 2010 at 9:26 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lusby, MD
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    in addition to the hitch itsself, the tow package from toyota has: larger battery, 130 amp alternator, small tranny cooler (located by the radiator), and of coufse the wireing harnes for the lights and brakes.

between the larger alternator, larger battery, and the tranny cooler. if you were to invest on any of them, i'd say the cooler was most important.

I don't think you'll have a problem towing the matrix though. just make sure to take it easy.

8. Feb 21, 2010 at 9:28 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lusby, MD
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    and x2 about lots of space. it sounds like you won't betowing a lot, so a brake contriller may be money you don't really need to spend. a trailer with an enertia brake will help a lot though.

9. Feb 22, 2010 at 11:26 AM
    BreezyTaco

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Thanks...I have the wire harness all hooked up, but you guys are saying that with just a tranny cooler I should be able to get away with not getting the bigger battery and altenater?

The CAI was just performance and planned on getting one anyway, but figured it could help on the long journey???

10. Feb 22, 2010 at 11:56 AM
    joshua32

joshua32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Tyler, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner SR5
    I would definitely say the tranny cooler at the very least. Are you going to be using a car hauler or a tow dolly because that will definitely change your weight up?

Let me know when you get to Corpus Christi. I just moved to Portland (10 minutes away) and work in Corpus Christi.

Good luck with the move.

11. Feb 22, 2010 at 12:17 PM
    djs05tacoma

djs05tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Martinez, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab TRD offroad 4x4
    3" OME Lift, 285's
    If you rent a trailer or dolly from uhaul you don't need a brake controller just the 4pin. They have surge brakes.

12. Feb 22, 2010 at 3:05 PM
    brandob9

brandob9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Long Bed
    Soundproofed cab, beeps purged, bed lights, extra bed tie-downs and TSB springs.
    I just moved a 1972 FJ40 over the mountains this weekend with mine using a flatbed trailer.

Here's what I learned:
    1) A good brake controller makes it feel like one cohesive vehicle.
    2) Take your time and leave lots of space.
    3) Engine braking is your friend for dropping 2,000 ft of elevation in six miles with a 6% grade.
    4) Oil and tranny coolers are your friends.
    5) Pump up your rear tires to deal with the load.
    6) 5,000 lbs of trailer makes its presence known.
    7) Tekonsha's Prodigy is an excellent trailer brake controller. Southwest Wheel of Dallas sells them for $116 with 2-day shipping and the plug and play harness.
    8) A Taco isn't an excellent tow vehicle, but it does very well. An extra 300 lb ft of torque would have been welcome, but it wasn't needed. I don't run a towing business anyway - I just move stuff a couple of times a year.
    9) U-haul won't let you use their car carriers for any truck that isn't a 3/4 ton. It's BS.

And finally, I've used both surge and electric brakes. The difference between them is a bit like the ride comfort gap from a Yugo to a Benz. In computer terms, it's like a Ti-83 and a Quad Core i7. I can get the job done with the Ti (and I love them, BTW), but I can get it done faster and safer with the Quad Core. Get the best brakes you can - your life can depend on it.

If your truck comes with the factory tow package, it is drop dead easy to add the brake controller. Snap, snap, add screws, done.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and don't listen to the wankers.

13. Feb 22, 2010 at 4:15 PM
    BreezyTaco

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Looking at renting the two wheel dolly looking thing from u-haul. Thanks for all the help.

14. Sep 6, 2015 at 6:31 PM
    munozadrian87

munozadrian87 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    adrian
    corona ca 92879
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner
    Weather tech floor mats, weather tech window visor, leveling kit.
    Would you guys know if a stock prerunner with out the tow package would have the wires nesesary to plug one in(7pin harnes)? Or would I have to wire the whole thing from the front to the back?

I just bought a tow hitch on Craigs for 125$, I want to add on the 7pin wire harnes.

06 access cab 2nd Gen taco

Screenshot_2015-09-06-17-42-28.jpg

To Top