1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Crud in the radiator

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Hucklington, May 4, 2016.

1. May 4, 2016 at 2:25 PM
    Hucklington

Hucklington [OP] New Member

Member:
    I purchased a ’99 Tacoma off road in December. One of the things that looked positive was a new radiator, belts, and hoses, and it had been running like a top. On a trip out of town in March the truck overheated at highway speed (hilly ground and 75mph). A Goodyear service tech pressure tested it and told me two things; the first was that it only needed a new cap, and the second was what looked like rust in the system was actually stopleak. He concluded that the former owner had loaded it up with stopleak before finally changing the radiator and hoses, and that got under the cap, causing the pressure leak. He changed the cap, pressure tested it again, charged me $65 and sent me down the road. I’ve had no trouble since then until it overheated again while pulling my 16 foot boat at highway speed. Both times it has been blazing hot with steam and boiling water in the overflow. Both times it cooled off pretty quickly, and it never overheats on day to day trips. I just took it back to the Toyota dealer I bought it from, and they are telling me it will take about $2,000 to fix it. They want to replace the radiator, hoses, thermostat, and the thermostat housing, and say the whole system is full of rust. I of course asked why they would need to replace new parts, why they hadn’t noticed any of this when they did the pre-sale check, and I’m currently trying to get them to reconsider their diagnosis, their proposed repair (shouldn’t somebody have suggested flushing the system?), and whether or not they sold me a lemon. Something tells me I may be throwing away good money on the wrong diagnosis.

If you were me, what would you do? Take it to a smaller garage? I only paid $3,800 for the truck.

2. May 4, 2016 at 7:47 PM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    Get a second opinion, definitely. Something tells me it would be cheaper at a smaller garage too if that's indeed the issue. Hard to believe though that youd need a new radiator after it already got one. Does your radiator fan work well?

3. May 5, 2016 at 6:04 PM
    Hucklington

Hucklington [OP] New Member

Member:
    I haven't checked that; what's the process or what am I looking for? BTW I had the dealer just flush the system and replace the coolant, then I'm going to try elsewhere.

4. May 7, 2016 at 7:39 AM
    Over da Hill

Over da Hill "Roads...where we're going we don't need roads"

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    15 Black Taco 4WD DC SB SC
    Supercharger, Icon stage 3 suspension, Pelfreybilt Armor, All-Pro Sliders & Leaf Pack, 17 inch Black Rhino Sidewinder wheels, 33 inch Toyo tires, Rigid Lighting, SPod,
    Good luck with the fix.

Products Discussed in

To Top