1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cruise control cuts out

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by JJPhare, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Apr 15, 2009 at 7:38 PM
    JJPhare

JJPhare [OP] New Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma SR5
    I have a 2004 Tacoma SR5 Extended cab V-6 with manual 5 speed transmission. Vehicle has only 12K on it, thus it has not been driven often. On recent trip to the mountains, the cruise control was set (while in 5th) and it would cut out (totally disengage) after 10-15 minutes . It did this several times.
    I am accustomed to and tolerate the "hunt and search" problem of many Tacomas which I do experience but have not read about anyone else who has the problem where the cruise control just quits after 10-15 minutes. Any ideas?
    Glad to be part of your forum.

2. Apr 16, 2009 at 4:59 PM
    pghkid

pghkid Member

Member:
    pgh pa
    Vehicle:
    04 tacoma revtek coil spacers 3 inch lift
    make sure your clucth pedal is out all the way i had that problem before.

3. Apr 16, 2009 at 6:50 PM
    JJPhare

JJPhare [OP] New Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma SR5
    Thanks. I'm quite sure the clutch is all the way out since I downshift when it quits. I only get 10-15 minutes of cruise before it quits. I may have to give in and take it to the dealer.

4. Mar 27, 2011 at 5:55 PM
    CocoaBeachTacoma

CocoaBeachTacoma New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Cocoa Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    04 Toyota Tacoma SR5 Ext. Cab 3.4L V6 4WD
    H.I.D. 6000K lights, exact fit seat covers, URD Short throw shifter, OEM 3 Inch lift
    I have the exact same truck. I bought mine and that happened almost immediately. I ended up replacing the clutch pedal bushing. This fixed the problem. This is a typical occurence on the Tacoma's. There is actually a website dedicated to this issue if that tells you anything. Check out the link below.

Sometimes, the bushing wears out on the manual Taco's. This bushing is important because when the pedal is not being depressed, there is a button that is being pushed in by the clutch pedal. This button controls the cruise control. If the button is not pushed in because the clutch pedal does not return to it's resting position, the cruise control will not work. It is a safety feature to ensure that the cruise control is cancelled when the clutch is used.

Check out the following link. This could be your problem.
    http://www.lieblweb.com/clutchbushing.html

Products Discussed in

To Top