1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

cruise control issue

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tgoodwrench, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Dec 6, 2010 at 10:24 AM
    tgoodwrench

tgoodwrench [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5 4X4
    on this 1998, 2.7 auto 4X4, when ever I top a hill with the cruise on and the transmission has downshifted, it take a mile or so before the transmission upshifts, even when traveling on the downhill side or leveling out.

2. Dec 10, 2010 at 6:50 PM
    choprpilot76

choprpilot76 choprpilot76

Member:
    Fort Irwin, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4WD DC LB
    UDR Fuel Pump and Filter
    Something a little unrelated that might help is the fuel filter. I had cruise control shifting issues and regular shifting issues before like that with another vehicle and someone told me to check my fuel filter. Sure enough my fuel filter was clogged and it was causing the fuel not to get through properly, affecting rpms and shift points being reached properly. Just a suggestion.

3. Dec 10, 2010 at 10:16 PM
    Corleykj

Corleykj Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Casper, WY
    Vehicle:
    Double Cab 4x4 trd
    Bilstein 5100's on 1 1/4" (middle), Rear AAL's
    In my 2001 3.4 v6 auto I have noticed a sudden shifting problem. Say I have it set on 70 mph and it starts climbing a long hill, it slows to 68 mph, then downshifts to gain speed again. Well, if it gets going faster than 70 mph then it suddenly shuts down it seems. It isn't smooth at all in this situation.

I don't have the same problem of it shifting after a mile or so on the downhill side.

I haven't heard of the fuel filter being a component of this issue, I should change mine and see if it helps, as I have not found any specific parts to replace to fix this issue.

4. Dec 11, 2010 at 10:37 AM
    choprpilot76

choprpilot76 choprpilot76

Member:
    Fort Irwin, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4WD DC LB
    UDR Fuel Pump and Filter
    I just bought this truck about 5-6 months ago and it lived it's life in Alaska. Not knowing the history of it I wanted to change the fuel filter. The problem with this truck, like what most foreign manufactures are going to, is a filter inside the pump inside the tank, which I think is the dumbest thing ever. So to replace a 5-10 dollar filter will cost you the price of the whole pump assembly (around 500-600 dollars). So, I went to Underdog Racing Development URD.com and got the Walbro modification kit and replaced it. It puts a better fuel pump in the tank and gives you an outside fuel line filter right under the driver side door. The whole kit was I think mid 100's and was actually very easy to do at home. I did the mod in my garage in just a few hours, I took my time to make sure I didn't "f" it up. I noticed a little more kick and performance afterwards, which I don't know if it was the new pump or the new filter.

5. Dec 12, 2010 at 5:21 PM
    Corleykj

Corleykj Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Casper, WY
    Vehicle:
    Double Cab 4x4 trd
    Bilstein 5100's on 1 1/4" (middle), Rear AAL's
    I just replaced my fuel filter, it seems to actually be running smoother (which I didn't expect, almost like spark plugs are firing better).

I didn't drive it on the highway with the cruise, to see if the cruise hesitation is fixed.

For a $22 fuel filter, it is worth seeing if it will fix the cruise problem, but I probably needed one anyway, it was a Toyota one, and I doubt anybody before me ever changed it.

To Top