1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cruise Control Problem

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Madjik_Man, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Apr 12, 2012 at 8:47 AM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    Just wondering if you got your cruise fixed?

Also wanted to add a note on the switch adjustment that I forgot. The switch is the clutch pedal height adjustment (at least on my year model) as well so you probably want to keep that in mind and make sure to keep your clutch pedal height and freeplay to spec.

I read back through the posts and not clear why your pedal is not coming back up fully on its own. The switch adjustment might get your cruise working again, but you may have another issue that needs fixed.

Could be a few issues, but what cured it for me was fixing the bushings on the clutch arm spring. Mine were broken or missing all together.

I did the bronze bushing mod and replaced the centre and both end bushings with bronze. Was actually easier than I imagined although a bit of a fiddle to get the spring back in until I sussed it out.

There are a few write ups on how to do the mod floating out there with pretty good pictures. Was pretty simple. If you have the same problem with your pedal and decided to do the same mod the only thing I'd add to the existing write ups is:

I've only seen the part number for the centre bush out there though so if you need/want to do the mod here are the part numbers I used:

From Lowes:
    Hillman - sleeve bearing, bronze - 1/4x3/8x1 - #882744 - sku 008236773576 (you need one of these for the centre of the spring)

Hillman - flange bearing, bronze - 1/4x3/8x15/32x1/2 - #882991 - sku 008236778311 (you need two of these for the ends of the spring)

NOTES:
    I held the centre bush with a needle nose plier and cut it to length using an air cut off wheel. Super quick. Also used the same tool to do the slot needed to fit over the spring and the flats for the clutch pedal arm.

To fit the outer bushes I got a 3/8 drill bit and reamed out the holes in the clutch bracket until the bushing just fit in with a bit of pressure.

Then used Honda Moly 60 grease to grease the bushings well inside and then installed the outer ends of the spring into the outer bushes. To get the centre to slot in what I did was to remove the clutch arm pivot bolt so I could slide the spring around and put it in the arm slot/bearing. Then I pushed the clutch arm up enough on one side to get a screwdriver in the hole and inside the clutch arm so I could push and pry it so the arm hole aligned with the bracket on the other side so I could get the bolt back in. Maybe easier ways to do it, but this is how I did it and worked at treat.

Got all hooked up, payed close attention to adjusting the clutch pedal height and freeplay and done!

I thought about doing the spring replacement instead of the bushes, but TO ME it just seemed a bit iffy although many appear to have had good luck with it. I thought I'd do the bush mod and then if that ended up being a duff idea then I could always go back and do the spring instead.

As it ended up I'm well pleased with the bronze bush mod and I have the factory spring operation there so all is correct. Bronze bush conversion made a huge difference in the pedal operation for my old worn system. Pedal adjustment was now more precise and now the clutch pedal operates smooth and steady and comes back up fully on its own each go.

Anyway, if you get a mo give us an update.

Cheers

GQ7227 and cruiserguy like this.
  2. Apr 12, 2012 at 9:04 AM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man [OP] The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    Damn dude... lovin' your posts in this thread. I saved this post of yours above in case that is the issue.

Honestly, it's worked like a charm since I monkey'd around down there. Never adjusted the switch or clutch at all. I did however push the switch button a bunch as it seems to have been gunked up with 14 years of crud, dust bunnies, and other foreign substances.

I feel like my clutch pedal is coming up all the way up and operating fine (the annoying squeak withstanding). When I was pushing the clutch in and slowly releasing it to see how it was marrying with the cruise control switch it seemed like they were making contact just fine. Honestly if I could adjust the switch to be 1 mm closer to the firewall I would. But like I said, just putzing around down there got everything working fine.

If the issue arises again, I'll be sure to revisit this with you.

Thanks man.
    MM

GQ7227 likes this.
  3. Apr 12, 2012 at 9:30 AM
    Hillingdoner

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    That's great news. Thanks for the follow up. Just wondered how you got on.

That squeak is most likely one of the plastic bushings about gone or gone on your clutch arm spring. Wearing metal to metal and squeaking. Might be worth a look.

Anyway, thanks again for posting. Just interested if you'd fixed it. As you said, probably just gunked up by the sound of it. My truck was/is the same. Each time I get into the dash area a clean a bit more gum, dirt and gunk out of the parts. Don't even get me on how much cleaning I've done on the engine, transmission, transfer etc. Still needs more. Should have weighed all the crap I took off it lol.

4. Apr 13, 2012 at 10:27 AM
    Rozz

Rozz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sturgis, SD
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Sport
    Stuff
    I just did the bronze bearing setup to mine, and it was no wonder the pedal wasn't coming back to full height. The spring has been sawing on the notch for a looong time, and had cut a groove about a quarter inch farther back than it should be. I did the bushing, along with some JB weld in the groove to keep it from moving back into it's previous position. It did solve my cruise control issue completely.

5. Apr 13, 2012 at 11:02 AM
    Hillingdoner

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    Same here. Spring had worn a slot into the clutch pedal arm beyond the factory placement. Also the spring was starting to wear. Had been an issue for a long while for the previous owner before I bought the truck. The plastic factory bushing seem a very poor solution. You just wonder how long the factory really expected them to last. I guess they just hoped that they would make it out of warranty before they had to replace any.

JB weld is a good idea. Might reach up and do the same with mine just to have it closed up where there isn't supposed to be a slot.

6. Apr 27, 2012 at 9:20 PM
    salttram

salttram Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    San Pedro, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 4X4 TRD XTRA CAB
    Great thread, as I'm going to do this this weekend. Thank so much Hillingdoner for the detailed info and part numbers to really do this job correctly. I've been putting up with the squeak for over 2 years in my 2001 and pulling on the clutch pedal with my foot to engage the cruise control.

You deserve numerous six packs of your favorite beer!

7. Apr 27, 2012 at 9:36 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Couple of thicknesses of duct tape on either the switch button or the clutch lever?

8. Apr 28, 2012 at 7:48 AM
    Madjik_Man

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    I like the idea but I'd prefer to do it right.

The problem is obviously with my clutch returning to the top. Since this thread it's been acting weird.

Just two days ago it started rattling very loud (never has happen before). Sometimes there is so much "wiggle" room at the top that I can literally wiggle the clutch pedal about 3 or 4 inches. And it's loose because it is obviously rattling from normal road vibrations.

ugh

GQ7227 likes this.
  9. Apr 28, 2012 at 10:36 AM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Probably a plastic or nylon bearing at the pivot that's finally deteriorated... or worse, the pivot pin is failing.

GQ7227 likes this.
  10. Oct 19, 2016 at 6:59 PM
    WhiteTacomaTRD

WhiteTacomaTRD Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Double Cab 4WD TRD 4.0L
    Guys, I'm having the same problem with my cruise control. It works but only sometimes, there's times when I push the cruise control button and the "cruise" light won't even turn on on my dash. I actually just replaced the switch but not the wires. Oh, and my truck is an automatic so no clutch. Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated!

11. Feb 11, 2017 at 11:38 AM
    strikers

strikers Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2003 tacoma dbc 4x4
    S13WL caliper swap 265 75 16
    Awesome info. Same issue here. But where would i start diagnosing for an 03 auto trans?

12. Feb 11, 2017 at 11:42 AM
    strikers

strikers Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2003 tacoma dbc 4x4
    S13WL caliper swap 265 75 16
    Nm. I shifted to neutral while driving. Then revved it a bit and put it back to drive now the cruise control is working fine.

13. Oct 20, 2020 at 9:44 AM
    hogeyphenogey

hogeyphenogey Back in a Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    Lunar Rock 2023 TRD Sport 6spd
    Reviving an ancient thread... my clutch stops at the top switch and if I Lever the pedal up with my toe I can use my cruise control. Getting under there it looks as though the clutch Cruz switch seems to be sticking and offers enough resistance that the pedal won’t come all the way up unless I pull it. The clutch does return fine if I depress the switch manually. Can I just clean the switch or should it be replaced? When I pull the pedal up it does engage cruise control and works fine so the switch is making proper connection. Is there anything I should just spray in there to try and lube the switch up? It’s probably got 17 years of junk in there

14. Dec 3, 2020 at 9:47 AM
    GQ7227

GQ7227 mw survivor

Member:
    First Name:
    J A Y
    309km east of Hazard ...the good life
    Vehicle:
    '97 black SR5 0g ~ MT @ 176k ...
    black woolWax, green IFC, borlaCB, custom Line-X PC drums, skid, nuts, hooks, 1/4 silver frame...

15. Dec 3, 2020 at 9:55 AM
    GQ7227

GQ7227 mw survivor

Member:
    First Name:
    J A Y
    Vehicle:
    black woolWax, green IFC, borlaCB, custom Line-X PC drums, skid, nuts, hooks, 1/4 silver frame...
    oof, this could be wots going on now @175k, i got the mech nutZ lubed over a year ago and stopped the squeaky! but off and on i hear a popping sound rowing the grears... maybe plastic sound IDK quite for certain
    :notsure: wait until something breaks to fixit :notsure:

16. Dec 3, 2020 at 10:03 AM
    Madjik_Man

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    Holy bumpage, Batman.

It was the fact that the clutch pedal was disengaging from the switch randomly or was not returned high enough to even engage the CC on the first place.

The linear spring mod remedied that issue.

GQ7227[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Dec 3, 2020 at 10:10 AM
    GQ7227

GQ7227 mw survivor

Member:
    First Name:
    J A Y
    Vehicle:
    i just have some other peculiarities going on lately (or maybe its all in the head) or maybe its what you say
    set the speed, take foot off gas, it dips maybe 5mph before engages and then gets back up to the speed set
    i should just junk the damned truck

18. Dec 3, 2020 at 10:16 AM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Keep on keeping on!

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bourbon state
    i had same issue with mine, i just adjusted the switch.

19. Dec 3, 2020 at 11:28 AM
    Madjik_Man

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    I'd start by junking the ridiculously pathetic torsion spring set up on the clutch pedal and go with the linear spring instead.

GQ7227[QUOTED] and CrustyTaco like this.
  20. Dec 3, 2020 at 11:53 AM
    GQ7227

GQ7227 mw survivor

Member:
    First Name:
    J A Y
    Vehicle:
    i'm still waiting for it to not return up off the floor like i read so many posts having that issue
    gonna need a nice clutch for that stop and go CA traffic mess!

Products Discussed in

To Top