1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CSI Fridge/Freezer Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Non-automotive Group Buys' started by Mike's Custom Toys, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Jul 22, 2020 at 8:15 PM
    rob1208

rob1208 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tacoma DCSB MGM TRD OR
    TRD Supercharger AFE CAI ProDryS ADS 2.5 Remote Resi Shocks ADS Rear Piggy Back 10" Travel Shocks ADS 2.0 Rear Hydro Bump Kit Deaver U402 Leaf Pack + Add a Leaf MCM Fab Uniball UCAs TC Spindle Gussets BAMF 100% Bolt On Sliders BAMF 1/4" Steel Skid Trilogy BAMF Diff Diaper Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper with Warn VR10000-s Winch Brute Force Fab High Clearance Dual Swingout Rear Bumper Custom Car Grills Mesh Grill Insert Stealth Custom Series SR8 - Matte Black 16x8 285/75/16 Toyo Tires Open Country AT2 Relentless Fabrication Ditch Light Bracket Mounts 2x2 Ditch Lights Apex Fab Works Flush Lower Grill Light Bar Mounts Caliraised 32" Light Bar Tech Deck Extreme Vagabond Outdoors Drifter
    Random thought: has anyone measured the voltage coming out of the cigarette power adapter? Long shot but Wondering if you’re getting some power loss thru the cigarette adapter.

i was going to suggest cutting off the end and hard wiring to the battery (i used Anderson power pole adapters in the bed of the truck fused on the battery side) but measuring voltage before cutting is probably smarter.

Beretta4x4 likes this.
  2. Jul 22, 2020 at 8:23 PM
    CayucosTacoma

CayucosTacoma Just think outside the Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Luis Obispo/San Jose
    Vehicle:
    2004 Double Cab 4x4
    Specs in the Build Thread
    Yea I did. At the end of the CSI connector, it was measuring around 11.5 unplugged.
    So it's definitely inside the fridge.

I thought about cutting it up, but don't want to incase I need to return this or something..

Beretta4x4 and rob1208[QUOTED] like this.
  3. Jul 22, 2020 at 8:45 PM
    Beretta4x4

Beretta4x4 What makes the green grass grow? TTC#0114

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Temple, TX
    Vehicle:
    6-speed death mobile
    This. My voltage was consistent with the digital readout.

rob1208[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jul 24, 2020 at 8:46 AM
    Mike's Custom Toys

Mike's Custom Toys [OP] Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Grants Pass, OR
    Csi is working on the low voltage cut problems and should have a solution soon. Otherwise I am going to be off-grid for a week while I tackle the OBDR route 5 with my family so if I don't respond right away you know why. Thanks for all the support Mike

5. Jul 24, 2020 at 2:37 PM
    Beretta4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Temple, TX
    Vehicle:
    6-speed death mobile
    Have a fantastic trip, Mike!

6. Jul 24, 2020 at 6:16 PM
    SuperBad

SuperBad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tacoma OR DCSB
    Truck stuff
    We shoulda tested it last weekend with my truck. I've got 10g ran, doubt it woulda made a difference since others are having the problems also and it seems to be in the fridges.

7. Jul 25, 2020 at 5:40 AM
    mynamesrob

mynamesrob Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    DC
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB
    Review time! My family and I just spent the last month on the road with this fridge and we had super favorable experiences. Here are the two quirks we noticed and then some nagging points:
    • F3 error: We had this two times and both instances the fridge was baking in the sun but maintained sufficient distance between the fans and surrounding objects. The first time we unplugged the fridge from the cigarette socket installed in the bed for about half an hour, continued on our trip, and plugged it back in with no problems. The second time we were at a friends house and pulled the fridge in the garage, tossed it on wall power, and crisis averted.
    • Power draw was a little weird. When the compressor starts up, it reads the battery as super low, like 9.0v, and as it comes up to efficiency, the battery will build back up. The battery icon on both the fridge display and through the app show it at 0 and then slowly back up to 100%. Not sure what this really indicates.
    • The cover is great but the zipper teeth on one side started to snag and proved to be a total pain in the ass. We would have to pull the fabric taut but one tooth is still not catching properly. I'm wondering if moving to bigger teeth or maybe even plastic would be better, especially as we ran through heaps of dusty areas. At the very least, we ran some wax over the zipper teeth to help keep them traveling smoothly where they could.
    • The zipper pull tab started to unravel and get caught up in the teeth. I just cut it off; I'll replace it with something else but not sure what.
    • The bottom part of the cover has started to tear on the interior but this is likely a symptom of pulling the fridge in and out of the truck frequently. If our beds were smooth, I doubt this would be an issue but the ridges were rub points. This is superficial and I'm not crying over it.
    We took out the freezer partition and made the whole thing a fridge. For a family of three traveling for 30 days, we couldn't afford precious space on freezer items. Plus, we were never super far from civilization where we couldn't dip into town for more meats for breakfasts/suppers.

The app is killer!! Being able to check settings from the truck or change from eco to max on the fly was brilliant. Not sure what the difference is but when on shore power or while driving, I would set it on max. When the truck was off, I would set it to eco and let the second battery take all of it.

Three people plus a dog meant the fridge was in the bed the whole time. I see some folks running their fridges in the cab but holy shit, that kid-less life left me a LONG time ago. Heaps of thunderstorms (including one I thought was going to rip the 23Zero RTT off the truck with us inside), torrential floods, and dust. Toss in some hail and sleet in Wyoming and the fridge didn't skip a beat. Candidly: the fridge was under the RTT so the only rain that could've gotten to it was either windblown or dripping.

In Colorado I picked up a Renogy solar setup. What a game changer that sucker was. I'm running a National Luna intelligence solenoid and the second battery never really seemed to charge over 12.8v. This is probably something to do with smart alternator charging second battery yada yada yada... Whatever. It's something I'll get smart on and deal with but having the solar kit allowed the second battery to get into the 13v+ range. I feel like this is more acceptable but I'm not super battery smart. I threw this shit together in haste before we left.

Speaking of being in a rush, Mike was super helpful in changing the mailing destination of this fridge twice. We finally picked it up in Ohio on our second day of travel. I felt a bit trashy unbundling this big ass fridge in a FedEx parking lot while winds howled and threw our debris everywhere which only led to the debacle. Thanks, Mike, for tolerating my phone calls and getting us set up!

Now, a question for you all: how do you store your fridge? Do you leave it plugged in year round because you're concerned about the compressor needing oil to keep working? Or do you say fuck it and toss it in storage? Basement beer fridge? This is my dilemma: what do I do with this fridge now that my adventure is over and I wait for the next one?

Ask your questions on my experience and I'll fire back.

Edit 1: Before I get asked: I'm running 1AWG from primary to secondary battery and then 10AWG from the secondary to the bed outlet.

Beretta4x4 and Bigdaddy4760 like this.
  8. Jul 25, 2020 at 7:35 AM
    Beretta4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Temple, TX
    Vehicle:
    6-speed death mobile
    Unplugged in my bed or plugged into a wall outlet in my office.

9. Jul 25, 2020 at 7:40 AM
    Beretta4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Temple, TX
    Vehicle:
    6-speed death mobile
    Yeah, mine goes into battery protection within an hour or two of being parked. I also noticed that it draws more power than I can charge the battery (I thought I saw it on the weekend at Maner's, too).

My alternator is boosted and puts out 14.2-14.4v and I have solar (100W panel) as well. My battery is a Northstar AGM 24F. On a half hour drive, by battery went from 13.8 to 13.5 and when the compressor kicks on it drops two volts until it turns off, then it jumps back up to 13.5 (using the app to monitor).

On a setting of Low/Economy, the fridge stops working if it senses less than 11v, when actual voltage is still higher.

10. Jul 26, 2020 at 4:00 PM
    NukedTaco

NukedTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wyatt
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Went camping friday, saturday and today with the fridge and it worked pretty good. I had it on the lowest protection setting (9v) to avoid the issues above and ended up having the opposite problem. The fridge drained the battery today and I wasn't able to start the truck. I had been idling the truck in the morning and evening for about 20min to charge the battery but I waited a little too long today (10-12 hours) before trying to start the truck and it gave a weak try then just clicked. I was using both sides as a fridge set at 37F on ECO and noticed about a 1 volt lower reading on the fridge while the compressor was running vs an installed voltmeter at the outlet. When the compressor was off the readings were equal. The fridge is currently running with both sides still at 37F on ECO set at medium protection and I'm trying to see how long before I get the F1 code. I have noticed that voltage has dropped below 11.5v without the fridge shutting off when the compressor is running, seeing 10.8v right now.
    483250DF-A727-4C75-A4D8-0963382BE4F8.jpg

rob1208 and Beretta4x4 like this.
  11. Jul 27, 2020 at 9:30 PM
    Shadowhunter

Shadowhunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Birdsview Washington
    Vehicle:
    13’ DCSB MT Sport
    Whats under the truck? OME 886’s Nitro Chargers 1/4” top plate spacers 1.5” Icon add-a-leaf for a total of 3” front and rear. 275/80/17 MTR’s SCS Ray10’ URD Stage 2 clutch Heavy Flywheel Clutch Masters Hydro Bering What’s on the front? Cbi bumper steel. Smittybilt X20 10k Under the hood? Ultimate headlight and fog light harnesses 100w/90w H4Headlights 9011 60wHir Fogs Anytime fog mod Northstar Group 34 14.7 Voltage booster Red Line hood struts K&N replacement filter on secondary air pump K&N air cleaner Donbison Snorkle In the cab? Wet Okie seat covers Petal Comander Meso Maps and Dome Molle panels on the consol Flyeyze Under the climate controls,glove box and center consol TRD Logo plates over door latches Weather Tech Floor mats with Custom TRD stickers Weather Tech Rain guards Weather Tech bug shield Full Head liner of patches On the bed? Snug-top Rebel Yakima racks Chinese knock off bat wing awning with walls Water Port Quick Fists Mount Bed Mat Anti theft tail gate bracket Trailer plug relocate Coms? Buofeng Navigation Garmin Alpha 100 ( Hound hunting GPS System) ECGS Bushing Cobra Rx75 Cb Home made sleeping platform with drawers. On the bench waiting to go in? 3* Cam Gears. Powder Coated Valve Covers Custom 3/4” intake spacer
    They way it was explained to me eco mode it’s exactly eco. It drops them temp lower and let’s it run up higher sucking up more juice on the big temp swing. Max keeps it regulated tighter and sips off the battery. I’m set in max and have had the W-55 running for a month straight now. Truck always starts in the morning and it’s sat the longest not being used for two days and started. I keep it full of bottled waters for work. I think have it full of something cold helps it keep a constant temp. I run it at 33* when I top off my water bottles I do it before I head out to work so the fridge isn’t trying to cool them down without the truck running. I’m also running a Nortstar 27F with a voltage dip switch to keep it topped off.

SaphiraTaco and Beretta4x4 like this.
  12. Jul 28, 2020 at 8:06 AM
    BEAR_KNIFE_FIGHT

BEAR_KNIFE_FIGHT bearly famous

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR 4X4 DCSB Slowsand, 2017 WRX WRB
    FYI keeping water in the fridge is a great way to help thermoregulate. Water has a great heat capacity so it's honestly not a terrible idea to just toss a case of water in the fridge for "storage" when you're not using it but still have it plugged in.

mynamesrob and Beretta4x4 like this.
  13. Aug 2, 2020 at 9:54 AM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
    So with the newer version of this fridge does the ARB Fridge Monitor work work it? I bought it for my CSI 52 but it's not applicable with it.

Beretta4x4 likes this.
  14. Aug 2, 2020 at 11:47 AM
    Newlife

Newlife Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 t4r orp
    Bone f’n stock for now
    These have the app so still doubt that arb will work with it.

Beretta4x4 likes this.
  15. Aug 5, 2020 at 7:33 AM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    I'm currently on page 19 of this thread. In case I missed it, who makes the compressor for this unit?

FirstGenTundra and Beretta4x4 like this.
  16. Aug 11, 2020 at 9:18 AM
    Beretta4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Temple, TX
    Vehicle:
    6-speed death mobile
    Any fix for the fridge power issues?

You said there was a fix in the works @Mike's Custom Toys , just wondering where you guys are at on this.

17. Aug 11, 2020 at 9:21 AM
    Mike's Custom Toys

Mike's Custom Toys [OP] Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Grants Pass, OR
    CSI has new control boards in the works to fix the low voltage issue. I have not received a solid timeline yet but rest assured we will take care of everyone.

18. Aug 11, 2020 at 9:21 AM
    Beretta4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Temple, TX
    Vehicle:
    6-speed death mobile
    Thanks, Mike :thumbsup:

Unchained 5150 likes this.
  19. Sep 3, 2020 at 10:08 PM
    m.reed.1

m.reed.1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM TACOMA TRD OFFROAD 4WD
    A few
    Received my W55 today with slider! Initially, great quality minus the ding in the corner, which I guess I can get over. Once everything was mounted in the bed, I applied 110 power to it to get it cool before switching it over to my battery. However, it never cooled. The fan came on and the compressor made a terrible noise which sounds like a knocking compressor. The first 2 hours I had it set to 37 degrees eco mode, then I switched it to max mode for 2 hours with it not cooling a single degree. After 5 hours of being on AC power, the unit is not cooling at all. So overall, not initially happy.. tomorrow I will reach out to Mike and see what can be done. I will leave it on AC power throughout the night, but I’m not hopeful.

77B60D57-DF3C-4C00-BB0C-545833A30632.jpg

Beretta4x4 likes this.
  20. Sep 3, 2020 at 10:31 PM
    Shadowhunter

Shadowhunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Birdsview Washington
    Vehicle:
    13’ DCSB MT Sport
    Whats under the truck? OME 886’s Nitro Chargers 1/4” top plate spacers 1.5” Icon add-a-leaf for a total of 3” front and rear. 275/80/17 MTR’s SCS Ray10’ URD Stage 2 clutch Heavy Flywheel Clutch Masters Hydro Bering What’s on the front? Cbi bumper steel. Smittybilt X20 10k Under the hood? Ultimate headlight and fog light harnesses 100w/90w H4Headlights 9011 60wHir Fogs Anytime fog mod Northstar Group 34 14.7 Voltage booster Red Line hood struts K&N replacement filter on secondary air pump K&N air cleaner Donbison Snorkle In the cab? Wet Okie seat covers Petal Comander Meso Maps and Dome Molle panels on the consol Flyeyze Under the climate controls,glove box and center consol TRD Logo plates over door latches Weather Tech Floor mats with Custom TRD stickers Weather Tech Rain guards Weather Tech bug shield Full Head liner of patches On the bed? Snug-top Rebel Yakima racks Chinese knock off bat wing awning with walls Water Port Quick Fists Mount Bed Mat Anti theft tail gate bracket Trailer plug relocate Coms? Buofeng Navigation Garmin Alpha 100 ( Hound hunting GPS System) ECGS Bushing Cobra Rx75 Cb Home made sleeping platform with drawers. On the bench waiting to go in? 3* Cam Gears. Powder Coated Valve Covers Custom 3/4” intake spacer
    Eco mode seems to allow a bigger swing in temps. Max mode keeps it tighter to the desired temp. I set mine at 33* nothing freezes on the fridge side and I had to get down to 11* on the freezer side to get water bottles to freeze solid. I think them temp on the screen isn’t anywhere near exact. I haven’t done anything crazy like actually put a thermometer in it and check. Maybe set it to Max and 33* till morning. It makes a little noise but nothing more than a little hum.

To Top