1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cupped tires...advice?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by fishdude, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Oct 14, 2010 at 9:42 PM
    fishdude

fishdude [OP] New Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    '05 Access Cab 4x4
    Hey-o, brand new to TW (and Tacomas in general)...I know there are a BUNCH of threads on here regarding tire preference, tire problems, etc...have looked through many but have two specific questions I'm hoping to get answered...all advice and info is welcome...

1) Bought my '05 access cab 4x4 used with about 33K miles....came with some P265/70/16 Big-O Bigfoot AT's (which in my opinion pretty much blow). Right now sitting about about 60K, have rotated about every 10K...noticed those badboys are SEVERLY cupped and wearing unevenly. Is that an alignment problem or did I have them over-inflated for too long (was running them around 40 psi for a spell...not smart, I know)? I've since backed the PSI down to manufacturers recommendation and they still are wearing poorly and not flattening back out...

2) About to put some new tires on since winter is gonna be here soon (and these Bigfoots are like street-slicks in the snow)...I do a little off-roading in the mountains but nothing severe...was thinking about sticking with a P-rated tire (due to price), and have done quite a bit of research. Leaning towards the Bridgestone Revo 2's in the 265/70/16 size...with the other two options being the Firestone Destination AT and Cooper Discoverer ATR. The dude at the shop here in Montana was pushing the Coopers, but I've heard a LOT of good stuff about the Revo 2's....what do you all think?

Thanks ahead of time from a new member...this site is freaking awesome!

2. Oct 14, 2010 at 9:43 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    Welcome to TW

3. Oct 14, 2010 at 9:44 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Is only the front tires cupped on the outside edges?

4. Oct 14, 2010 at 10:01 PM
    fishdude

fishdude [OP] New Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    '05 Access Cab 4x4
    It seems to be happening on all four (if that's even possible?)...and more prounounced on the outside edges. Also, if you were to lay a ruler on top of the tire, there would be about a 1/4" gap (approx, probably a little less) between the ruler and the center of the tire (I think from the over-inflation?). I'll certainly get an alignment done before the new tires are put on...was just wondering if the tires currently on my rig suck that bad, or if there's something really out-of-whack with the truck itself. Thanks...

5. Oct 14, 2010 at 10:07 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Wow...yeah, those were over inflated. Check the alignment, and make sure your not going around corners fast.

To Top