1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

curious about ECT button

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by qgoulden, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Nov 15, 2008 at 2:23 PM
    qgoulden

qgoulden [OP] Member

Member:
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    '01 V6 4x4 SR5
    I have a question related to the ECT button. If I understand correctly, it helps the transmission shift more efficiently than it might normally. Is this close? I read that it will shift at lower RPM's and that it will lock out of overdrive until the engine is warm. With that being said (assuming it is accurate), is there any problem with leaving it on all the time? Also, does leaving it on affect gas mileage in any way? Any help/advice will be greatly appreicated. Thanks in advance.

2. Nov 15, 2008 at 2:43 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    I think (but I'm not sure) you have it backwards...when on, the tranny shifts at higher RPMs. At least that's the way it feels when I have it on in my 02 with a 3.4L.

3. Nov 15, 2008 at 2:47 PM
    NumNutz

NumNutz One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    When I had my 99' with the ECT Power I always had it on. Or I would turn it on when I would go to pass. With that smaller engine it makes a good amount of power at higher RPMs so having the engine shift higher helps with acceleration.

4. Nov 15, 2008 at 3:09 PM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
    Yep, you guys got it right. It increases the shift point, for a more useable powerband.

5. Nov 15, 2008 at 4:11 PM
    norcalbb11

norcalbb11 Nor*Cal

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 Taco Sport 4x4
    flowmaster 40 series, tinted windows, airaid CAI, removed 2nd filter, aries black bull bar
    yeah i kept mine on most of the time since i drove mountains a lot and had a heavy foot, oops, but it didnt really affect my gas mileage, my foot affected that haha, i miss that button.

6. Nov 16, 2008 at 12:52 AM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    Yup, it shifts the tranny at higher RPMs, good for passing, towing or mountain driving I guess.

7. Jun 16, 2009 at 12:32 AM
    tacomaman04

tacomaman04 Well-Known Member

Member:
    tx
    Vehicle:
    prerunner SR5
    volant CAI helix throttle body spacer Westin Black Bull Bar Kc Slimlites130watt long range Black out Taillight Mod Flat Black Rims Flat Black Emblems Two 10' Kenwoods 1200Watt Alpine Amp Surround Black grill Flat Black Front and Rear Bumper
    What do you mean it shifts at higer rpms? it you drop it to first or second you can shirft just at redline..Does it help to get increase the speed. and you cant have the ect on when in overdrive?

8. Jun 16, 2009 at 7:37 AM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
    I would reccomend dropping into first at 65mph. Just hit the ECT button and the shit point raises about 500-800 rpm from usual. Yes, it works in OverDrive

9. Jun 17, 2009 at 1:48 PM
    RioNovo

RioNovo Arizona Native

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 TRD SR5
    Bed liner, Bed Extender, Vision Shell, Alpine Speakers and Alpine Amp, Sway-A-Way coil overs up front, Deaver 6 pack in the rear, 285/75 R16 L/Ts on blacked out alloy wheels, All Pro Sliders, 1000w Power Inverter, SSB/AM CB, Gray Wire Mod, Constant 12v Power Outlet Mod, Deckplate Mod, Open Door Warning Disabled, More to Come!
    ECT stands for Electronically Controlled Transmission. When you push the button in, a light on the dash will indicate "ECT POWER". This changes the normal shift times (based on engine vacuum, rpm, and throttle position) to a later point, and engine RPMs go higher before shifting to the next gear while accelerating. It helps build speed more quickly, but uses more gas to do so.

Products Discussed in

To Top