1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CURT Front Hitch & cust service review

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Outback, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Oct 25, 2009 at 2:58 PM
    Mr_Torque

Mr_Torque Buy the Ticket take the Ride.....

Member:
    Perkasie,PA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Tacoma SR5 4WD V-6 6 Spd
    MBRP Exhaust, 17" FJ Steelies w/Firestone AT's, Truxedo Lopro ,Timbren SES, Pioneer FH-X720BT HU & TS-C720PRS Component Speakers, TRD Quickshifter, Bilstein 6112/5160, Light Racing UCA, and Icon Progressive add a leaf.
    Did you try removing the plate first? Slygrin said he removed his then reinstalled it after mounting hitch. Looks like he has the same hitch. Wouldn't that be funny if that was all it took after all your ranting?!

2. Oct 25, 2009 at 3:06 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    no problem. i remembered a front hitch mount and googled curt front hitch and that thread came up. i wouldnt waste the hitch just to use the sides.

that would be some funny shit.

3. Oct 25, 2009 at 3:19 PM
    Reidm3

Reidm3 Active Member

Member:
    Your sister is obviously annoyed (like everyone else who reads this thread), that you failed to do proper research on the product. The manufacturer stated it wouldn't fit with the optional skidplate, yet you somehow thought that the 2007's and 2009's were different.

How can you be a member of this forum and believe that there's any difference in the front ends of any Tacoma from 2005 to 2010 that would cause fitment differences? :confused:

4. Oct 25, 2009 at 3:48 PM
    cranky

cranky Active Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Double Cab Long Bed
    I'm sorry this is a big pain for you but their return policy is pretty standard. Nobody accepts returns from anyone except the person who bought the item. It sucks for your sister that she has to handle the return. Maybe you can drive her around for a few hours and get it all worked out? Buy her lunch instead of taking a $70 hit on the return.

Of course the point is that you shouldn't have to return it in the first place, and that sucks.

5. Oct 25, 2009 at 4:03 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    why dont u pm the guy who has it on his truck and ask him some???????

6. Oct 25, 2009 at 4:07 PM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    As far as I read this, he called them and they told him that it would fit. So why are you guys giving him crap? And if you look at every tacoma from 95.5 to now every one of them has ever so slight differences. If he called and they said it would fit his model then why wouldn't he listen to them? Seems like a shitty deal to me, but next time you buy something like that don't hesitate to search and if you can't find it then ask someone here. If no one here knows directly i know that they know someone who does.

7. Oct 25, 2009 at 4:08 PM
    Reidm3

Reidm3 Active Member

Member:
    If he wants to whine and complain to someone, he should direct that to his sister who is unwilling to help him out with a return.

He failed to do proper research and use common sense. That's why no one feels sorry for him.

What differences are there in the front of a 2005-2010 Tacoma that would cause fitment issues?

One cannot badmouth Curt's customer service, since it seems that they are perfectly willing to accept a return.

8. Oct 25, 2009 at 4:09 PM
    Slygrin

Slygrin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Moses Lake, WA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab V6 SR5 Timberland Mica
    De-badged, Foglights on anytime, Tailgate hose clamps, GPS semi-permanent mount, WeatherTech mats, Front mounted hitch, Blacked out front emblem, Color matched grille, Running boards, Bed mat, UWS low profile toolbox, Scanguage II, Prestige Alarm w/remote start, Snowsport snow plow
    Just for some clarification, I don't have the optional skid plate. I have what I assume is a standard plate. If anyone wants I can take some pics tomorrow. I'll just need to put it up on the ramps to get a good angle.

9. Oct 25, 2009 at 4:24 PM
    Afwrestler1986

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Read my truck info. 1st gen. I am just pointing out that if he was told that his truck would work with it then why wouldn't he believe that? If you are gonna flame him with all 5 of your posts you had better be awfully careful of what you write in the future. There is no need to be a douche nozzle when it seems that he is frustrated because someone told him more than once that it would fit. You are doing just as much crying about his whining.

10. Oct 25, 2009 at 4:28 PM
    EricT

EricT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '09 4x4 shortbed TRD Sport
    Yeah but if you count em up they told him more times it wouldn't work, then the amount of times they told him it would.

11. Oct 25, 2009 at 4:31 PM
    Afwrestler1986

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Then where are you reading that? because I have read his original post more than once and each time i read it i see that he was told it WOULD fit. Why don't you go ahead and read it again.

12. Oct 25, 2009 at 4:39 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    Outback is right since they told him it would fit... but i think he could have proven them wrong by researching. How many times are we suspicious of maunfacturer claims so we research to verify? Outback, don't know if you'll like this idea, but what if you had a skid/bull bar insert made and make the most of the shituation.

...on the other hand I'm wondering how fast an access cab can pull a 25' trialer in reverse now.

13. Oct 25, 2009 at 4:45 PM
    Afwrestler1986

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    I agree with you, i just wanted to set it straight that he was told it would work. There was no need to start flaming. especially when it seems that the flamers can't read. just putting that out there.

14. Oct 25, 2009 at 4:50 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    I think there is a lot of savvy people here who "would know better" in most situations, but we all have to remember not everyone is up to speed on Differences from gen1/2 or similarities from 05-10.

...which is why I lurked for a year. some things seem obvious now but weren't back in 2008

15. Oct 25, 2009 at 5:16 PM
    Reidm3

Reidm3 Active Member

Member:
    How is that relevant to the topic at hand?

He was told that it would work, and if it didn't he was free to return it. That's great customer service IMHO. The problem is that his sister does not want to help with the return. That's all this is about, and I don't think it's right to drag this company's name through the mud because of it.

I am not trying to "flame" anyone, just make it clear that "Curt" is not at fault in this matter. It's not right to bash a company for no reason.

So is it right to say that you believe that making it clear that people who are thinking of a buying a front hitch from Curt should not have concerns about customer service is wrong?

16. Oct 25, 2009 at 5:25 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Okay Okay kids- Lets all agree to disagree and let it go.

CURT is not making a great case for themselves- They told him 4 different times that it would fit when it wouldn't fit. They should try to help him out a bit more to get thru the process of returning the receiver....but they shouldn't change their procedures just cause it's inconvenient for the OP...If that dictated return policy the President of any company I wanted to return something to would be coming to my house to pick it up in a hot dog suit.

The OP seems to care more about form over function...He likes how the skid plate looks. I see where Mr Torque was going. That skid plate is marginally useful without anything in front of it. Add a front tow reciever and it's almost totally pointless imo....but if it makes the OP happy....Fine....Let him be.

Let him post his gripes and people can judge for themselves.

17. Oct 25, 2009 at 6:32 PM
    Outback

Outback [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I went out to dinner and returned to find some unbeleivable posts. Thanks you to those with some analytical (reading) skills.
    Sure, I dont help with being short and to the point with statements I beleive are wacky or off track. With the internet you get that, but if you let them go they somehow gain validity.

Just to set the record right, I researched this forum an others and the only threads were 1 or 2 asking if it would work with the skid plate. There were no concrete answers at least at that time. I did all I could. I did not follow every skid plate of every year to check for differences. Wow, even those with no work and no life would not have gone that far. I felt like I was obsessed trying to find someone who posted that it would not work or would work. Sure, someone will show there was a post somewhere, but at the time I did what I could.

They (CURT reps) told me it would fit from the first call to the last, I called the 4th time to get a tech to make sure the sales people were right. They were all wrong!

Oh, My sister lives about 6+ hours away. Na, I'm not driving her around buying lunch and making a picnic out of returning a hitch. I just dont want to have her deal with it. Kind of ruins the present. She did something nice. There are so many assumptions flying about.

I did not argue with each one to tell me it would fit.
    Someone did not read the first post like everyone else did. Then things got wierd in this thread. That supprised me but when you put something on the net someone can spout off 1 sentence and sit back and laugh as things get rolling. I think that is what happened and that person probably is a repeat offender.
    Just read and beware that if you buy a curt product, dont get a local shop to do it unless they are a genuine CURT approved dealer.

I am sure this thread will help some people when they search for answers on the CURT front hitch.

18. Oct 25, 2009 at 6:37 PM
    Mr_Torque

Mr_Torque Buy the Ticket take the Ride.....

Member:
    Perkasie,PA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Tacoma SR5 4WD V-6 6 Spd
    MBRP Exhaust, 17" FJ Steelies w/Firestone AT's, Truxedo Lopro ,Timbren SES, Pioneer FH-X720BT HU & TS-C720PRS Component Speakers, TRD Quickshifter, Bilstein 6112/5160, Light Racing UCA, and Icon Progressive add a leaf.
    One member here successfully installed that hitch with his skid plate.
    Is your skid plate different? Did you remove your skid plate before trying to fit hitch?

19. Oct 25, 2009 at 6:43 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    Personally I don't think they understood "skid plate" from optional "skid plate". For their view, all they do is hitches, I wouldn't think they know much about Toyota options. I dont think you are to blame, but If you pitched a thread about the fit here the mods, sc4333 or paintdiddy and a lot of other people could have confirmed your suspicions.

20. Oct 25, 2009 at 7:11 PM
    Outback

Outback [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I did specifically say Toyota OPTIONAL skid plate when speaking to the CURT people. They did say in the end that the black plate that I think everyone has was the optional skid plate.
    Who knows?

Well Mr Torque...
    Did I remove the skid plate first? Why post rediculous questions?

Who might the person be that did install the CURT front hitch with the OPTIONAL skid plate?

They changed their instructions because it does NOT fit!

Products Discussed in

To Top