1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Custom 35 gallon gas tank for 09 Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Adreenaleen, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Feb 5, 2017 at 5:43 PM
    Bobcdn

Bobcdn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    WTB; 2nd gen well built Tacoma
    We had an auxiliary tank where the spare would normally go on our 1988 Toyota 4x4. Held an extra 15 US gallons iirc, no pump (just gravity)- as it had a hose that connected to the original fuel tanks drain plug and as the main fuel tank emptied it was replenished by the auxiliary tank. So the fuel gauge was something to get used to- would stay full for the first 2/3rds and then would go the same as before the auxiliary tank was added.

The truck actually rode and handled much better with all the fuel weight- but that was a 1988 with stiff suspension!

Papa Taco likes this.
  2. Feb 6, 2017 at 3:44 AM
    06Tacooo

06Tacooo Earth Czar

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    39° 14' N / 83° 13' W
    Vehicle:
    06 Off Road Access Cab Indigo Ink Pearl
    Michelin Defender LTX M/S2, ABS kill switch, Tech Deck, Mirror riser, Ride-Rites, BF Garmin GPS
    I use store fuel points to buy 35 gal. at a time, so 4 jerry cans and 15 in the truck for me. I can weight distribute it, off load it, put 6 in the rack for long hauls, or store it long term in sealed jerry cans w/no water condensation like plastic cans or a barrel. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    Mush Mouse likes this.
  3. Feb 6, 2017 at 5:32 AM
    Overkill07

Overkill07 Tacoitis

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD O/R DC MGM
    A few audio upgrades, tinted windows, remote start because it f'n hot in Texas! 6in Fabtech DB lift, 17x9 Fuel Trophy wheels, 315/70/17 Duratracs,BAMF 80in sliders w/kickout, Prinsu cab rack w/30in Heretic light bar, custom bedside decals, custom hi-lift jack brackets, US Offroad front bumper w/winch, bed rack with RTT, CB, Short wave base station, Ultra gauge, color matched grille surround, an ungodly amount of recover gear, ARB fridge, hood struts, RotoPax, traction pads.
    I like the fact that you found a replacment tank and it is cheaper than the add on tanks. Do you have a link to the tank itself? @000doodie000
    This is interesting...:popcorn:
    This is where I'm at now.

4. Feb 6, 2017 at 7:45 AM
    Bobcdn

Bobcdn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Almost forgot- the auxiliary tank had a pipe welded through the centre of the tank to make a hole big enough for the spare tire carrier to still function (just hung down further).
    The original filler neck was in the passenger rear wheel well, but after we put the 3" body lift on to fit the V8 we were able to bring the filler neck through the box floor just behind the rear wheel.

Was just on Total chaos site (ordering bed stiffeners) and their 2014 project 4x4 has a nice looking auxiliary tank;
    http://www.chaosfab.com/images/projects/double-down/build/total-chaos-project-4x4-tacoma-expedition-truck (16).jpg

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  5. Feb 6, 2017 at 5:58 PM
    000doodie000

000doodie000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD Off-Road
    Many and always modding Wheels Suspension lift Armor Electrical gadgets etc...
    https://longrangeautomotive.com.au/Long-Range-Fuel-Tanks, use part number TTACDCR

The last email I asked about shipping again and the sales guy noted delivery to airport cheaper, but you still have duties and import taxes. I think by the time you get it all paid for, it gets a little spendy. I'd still like one, but there are so many other things I'd still like to do to my rig... :(

I followed quite a few threads before I found this one. Found a few fabricators that "used to do it" in the US, but they were either out of business or had sold it to someone else that had no interest. It just doesn't seem to be a very popular item. Which is a bummer, I'd love the extra range without the added carry of jerry cans.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  6. Feb 6, 2017 at 6:01 PM
    Elite777

Elite777 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 4 banger MGM Access cab
    I'd like to see the "taco lean" after you put in one of those

Mush Mouse likes this.
  7. Feb 6, 2017 at 9:38 PM
    000doodie000

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD Off-Road
  8. Feb 6, 2017 at 10:53 PM
    000doodie000

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD Off-Road
    Too bad nobody has one for a realitively easy (medium skill) upgrade/addition/replacement. I'd even love something like the one pictured there on the Total-Chaos site. If I could get the tank pump instructions, shipping etc in the $800-1000 range.

9. Feb 7, 2017 at 9:52 AM
    Bobcdn

Bobcdn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    No pump (just gravity)- as it had a hose that connected to the original fuel tanks drain plug and as the main fuel tank emptied it was replenished by the auxiliary tank. So the fuel gauge was something to get used to- would stay full for the first 2/3rds and then would go the same as before the auxiliary tank was added.

As long as the bottom of the auxiliary tank is not lower than the bottom of the OEM tank it will drain into it.

I was thinking this morning that there are all kinds of choices for size and style if I look at fuel cells instead. Just run a line from the bottom/ low point of the fuel cell to the drain on the bottom of the OEM tank. Run the vent lines to the trucks filler neck and tie it into the factory venting. Cut a door in the floor of the bed or extend a filler neck up to sit flush on the bed floor.

http://www.jegs.com/i/RCI/821/2172AD/10002/-1

http://www.jegs.com/i/JAZ-Products/547/286-432-06/10002/-1

10. Feb 7, 2017 at 11:15 AM
    06Tacooo

06Tacooo Earth Czar

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    39° 14' N / 83° 13' W
    Vehicle:
    06 Off Road Access Cab Indigo Ink Pearl
    Michelin Defender LTX M/S2, ABS kill switch, Tech Deck, Mirror riser, Ride-Rites, BF Garmin GPS
    That's risky. No crash, roll over fuel tank protection like your truck has. Could be a rolling fire ball waiting to happen.

Mush Mouse likes this.
  11. Feb 13, 2017 at 10:48 AM
    Bobcdn

Bobcdn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The RCI fuel cell has a 'rollover vent fitting';

RCI 2172AD Details
    17-Gallon

• 0-90 ohm Sending Unit
    • Neck fits standard 1-3/4" hose
    • Two -8AN pickup fittings
    • One -8AN return fitting
    • One -8AN rollover vent fitting
    • Use Mounting Kit 821-7515A

12. Feb 13, 2017 at 10:59 AM
    Bobcdn

Bobcdn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Been looking at this for a bit now and I think the best way is to cut out the rear x member, reinforce the frame as needed and then add new crossmembers in front and behind the new auxiliary tank. Went and looked at Total chaos' build and that is what they did.

The 1988 Toyota 4x4 that we added the auxiliary tank to used a 90* fitting that attached in place of the steel oem tanks drain plug. The venting tied into the trucks em venting near the filler neck.

Realize the problem with he 2nd gen is that it has a plastic tank and no drain hole. I guess I could drill into the tank and glue a barbed fitting or AN fitting of some sort to it. Wonder epoxy or maybe JB Weld would work for this.

Also figure I need to get airbags for the rear to deal with the extra weight as well as for towing- so won't attempt the auxiliary tank for a while.

13. Feb 13, 2017 at 7:52 PM
    HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade NOOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garage Most Likely
    Vehicle:
    DCFB (RIP)
    Some Stuff
    I like this idea. Mounted under a toolbox in the bed. Fuel filler in the side of the toolbox. Dual fuel pumps T'd into the factory filler neck. Three switch panel in the cab. One controlling an electric valve and one for each pump. Fuel gauge for the Aux tank in the cab.

I'm going to Moab in the fall from NJ. I think I'm going to do this. My truck is 5200 lbs with my recovery gear on board. Add my M1101 trailer with RTT and camping gear... fuel mileage? :rofl:

I do not want to be stopping every two hours for fuel.

IMG_2376.jpg

Overkill07 likes this.
  14. Feb 14, 2017 at 8:25 AM
    Bobcdn

Bobcdn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
  15. Feb 14, 2017 at 9:57 AM
    paranoid56

paranoid56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    14 double cab taco
    there are some early f150 tanks that fit in the spare location (once you remove the xmember) no matter what you still need to figure out the switching/transfer
    I like the idea of building a tank using the same fuelpump/sender as factory along with all vents, and just have a switch on the dash to change.

16. Feb 20, 2017 at 3:14 PM
    Bobcdn

Bobcdn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Here is a 2nd gen rear frame plate kit that requires you to cut out/ remove the 'X' member that holds the spare. Make up a couple cross members to go in front of and behind the auxiliary tank- add mounting brackets to the cross members for the Auxiliary tank and maybe even a skid plate.
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/2nd-gen-frame-box-plate-kit.405001/

Found the 73-79 Ford tank;
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-1979-F...ash=item5b1abb9c28:g:koEAAOSwQiRUpqve&vxp=mtr

I am still thinking a fuel cell would be better as I could get one with baffles and nice AN fittings. Then its just a matter of running a line from the fuel cell and drilling into the bottom of the plastic oem tank to glue in an AN fitting into the oem tank so with the help of gravity the auxiliary tank can drain into the oem tank.

Starting to think I might actually do this... eventually!:annoyed:

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Papa Taco likes this.
  17. Feb 20, 2017 at 3:44 PM
    Papa Taco

Papa Taco HARD CAAAAAAARRRRRRRL

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4 6 Speed
    Follow the yellow brick road
    Yeah I was thinking about under the bed with a good size skid plate as well

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  18. Feb 20, 2017 at 5:01 PM
    Overkill07

Overkill07 Tacoitis

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD O/R DC MGM
    A few audio upgrades, tinted windows, remote start because it f'n hot in Texas! 6in Fabtech DB lift, 17x9 Fuel Trophy wheels, 315/70/17 Duratracs,BAMF 80in sliders w/kickout, Prinsu cab rack w/30in Heretic light bar, custom bedside decals, custom hi-lift jack brackets, US Offroad front bumper w/winch, bed rack with RTT, CB, Short wave base station, Ultra gauge, color matched grille surround, an ungodly amount of recover gear, ARB fridge, hood struts, RotoPax, traction pads.
    Yeah, I've ran across a few options that no longer exist :pout:
    Bummer
    I think that there would be enough demand for this to warrant some R&D to create another option. I have a fab shop in town that I'm friends with. Once I can mock up something I can have a prototype made.
    So since I have limited knowledge on how this works, how does the rollover/crash protection work?

19. Feb 20, 2017 at 9:13 PM
    Bobcdn

Bobcdn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Can you elaborate on why drilling into the bottom of a plastic tank is a bad idea? (serious question- would be glad to hear any draw backs- before I go and ruin my fuel tank!)
    I am only talking about a small say maybe 5/8" hole. Thought that with a threaded AN fitting and large washers either side of the tank and either epoxy/ JB weld the fitting to the oem plastic tank. Figured the large washers would distribute the load if any force was exerted on the fitting- should only be the weight of the line. Also the large washers would help spread the clamping force on the plastic tank to prevent cracking it/ squeezing out. And with the glue in between it all- it shouldn't leak.

As for the better way- sounds more complicated than necessary- but thats just my 2 cents! I really liked the Downey Toyota auxiliary tank we had on our old Toyota. Was simple- nothing to go wrong and nothing ever did go wrong with it in all the years we had it.

20. Feb 20, 2017 at 10:06 PM
    paranoid56

paranoid56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    14 double cab taco
    if you drop the tank and empty it then drill it and use a an fuel bulkhead fitting you will be fine. my only concern would be the lack of protection to that fitting. maybe it might be better to put that fitting on the back of the tank out of the way.

Products Discussed in

To Top