1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Custom 35 gallon gas tank for 09 Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Adreenaleen, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Feb 21, 2017 at 8:50 AM
    Bobcdn

Bobcdn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    WTB; 2nd gen well built Tacoma
    paranoid56- thanks for the name of the 'fuel bulkhead fittings' that is exactly what I was thinking. Went and looked at google images to see that it was what I was thinking and seen where guys had run an AN fitting through the fuel sender lid. That got me thinking about how to prevent 'cracking due to flex' (Watt maker) on the plastic tank (didn't think of the tank flexing due to fuel weight). So going in through the fuel sender lid with an AN fuel bulkhead fitting and attach a pipe that extends almost to the bottom of the tank. Should work the same as drilling a hole in the bottom without the draw backs. Something like this;

https://www.strictlydiesel.com/p-2678-driven-diesel-58-fuel-tank-pickup.aspx

Found a 1941-54 Buick steel tank that I think will work well (steel, so its easier to cut and weld if needed)

17 gallons

Length (in):31.500 in.

Width (in):27.500 in.

Height (in):7.500 in.;

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/tnk-b1-b/overview/

I want to try and route the auxiliary fuel tanks filler neck into the existing fuel door- so that when you open the flap there are 2 gas caps.

Or add another fuel door with filler neck for the auxiliary tank between the rear wheel and the tail light.

At 7.5"- there may be enough room to still be able to carry your spare under the bed as well. Would need to make a swing down cradle- but would be nice to retain the spare tire under the truck- even if it hangs somewhat lower.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    Watt maker likes this.
  2. Feb 26, 2017 at 8:02 AM
    Bobcdn

Bobcdn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    WTB; 2nd gen well built Tacoma

Products Discussed in

To Top