1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Custom Leaf Pack Can't Hold The Weight

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Skan Skeeny, May 10, 2011.

1. May 10, 2011 at 8:50 AM
    Skan Skeeny

Skan Skeeny [OP] Skan Skeeny

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma TRD Double Cab
    Flippac Camper Shell, Alcan Custom Leaf Pack, Bilstein 5100's F&R, Eibach Springs, Duratrac 265/75/16, Ipod Interface
    I have a custom leaf pack from Alcan that was designed to give a 1" lift and cary 280lbs at all times (Flippac topper) and be able to handle 250lbs of gear.

This weekend I went to Moab with camping gear and 2 bikes on a hitch mount bike rack. The weight is guesstimated at approximately 250lbs (+/- 25lbs). The rear of the truck was sagging noticeably :( and would hit the bump stops on large highway dips :eek:. Small bumps like a speed bump at 10-15 mph did not cause it to hit the bump.

I am trying to determine what can be done to help the truck carry this full load on the trail. I am not interested in air bags as I plan on articulating the rear suspension in my travels.

Timbren bumpstops?

I should also point out that, in addition to the custom leaf pack, the truck has Bilstein 5100's on all four corners and Eibach springs up front. Double cab, short bed, 4x4.

Thanks to all who have any ideas.

2. May 10, 2011 at 10:04 AM
    Skan Skeeny

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Flippac Camper Shell, Alcan Custom Leaf Pack, Bilstein 5100's F&R, Eibach Springs, Duratrac 265/75/16, Ipod Interface
    DHK,

Are you saying that you can load 530lbs in the back of your truck and the rear does not settle?

Maybe I am a little off on the tech specs/verbiage. I know that it carries the weight of the Flippac topper better than the tsb springs did. So it must have a better spring rate than what I am quoting.

I am thinking this has more to do with the weight of a cooler full of beer, some tools, two bikes, and a bike rack all being behind the axle.

Has anyone used a helper spring?

3. May 31, 2011 at 10:01 PM
    Skan Skeeny

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Never mind the previous posts- sent the leaf springs back to Alcan asking for 2" of lift with 780# for total wieght capacity.
    Alcan rocks!! They got it back to me in a couple of business days and It.. Is.. TITS!! Truck looks awesome, rides fantastic, handles the load, couldn't be better.

dhk- thanks for shedding light on the subject and trying to help. I got my questions answered from the experts at Alcan.
    Cheers 'cause my truck rides badass now; without any drive-line issues, cv angles tweaked out, carrier bearing drop kits, 'trimming' or rubbing.

I'm out to get my 265/75/16 Dynapro MT's!

Pics soon...

4. May 31, 2011 at 10:08 PM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    nice!!

and wow dhk actually had something good to say for once

5. Jun 20, 2011 at 6:35 PM
    Phaseoner

Phaseoner New Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Double Cab short box
    6in fab tech
    Hey skan skeeny when you order your alcan springs what info did you give them and with 780lbs how is your ride. i have a 6in fab tech and would like to get rid of the blocks and still have the towing capability just wondering what all do i need to give them before i order thanks phaseoner

To Top