1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Custom Pop-Up Truck Canopy?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by 2002tacomaPDX, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Aug 16, 2016 at 12:04 AM
    2002tacomaPDX

2002tacomaPDX [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Southern California
    I'm hoping to modify my Leer fiberglass truck canopy and turn it into a pop-up. There's a ton of interest in pop campers, flip pacs, etc but I've never seen anyone do a simple conversion to their truck canopy. All I want is more head room when sleeping in the back of my rig, without having to buy a taller canopy or cab-over set up (which adds wind drag, height, weight, etc).

So here's my idea: Basically cut the top 2 or 3 inches off my existing canopy all the way around. Then reinforce around the cuts on the top piece ("cap") and the remaining canopy walls ("base") with 1x1 metal tubing or something similar. I'd basically weld a frame and rivet it inside the canopy. This would also provide a larger surface area for the cap to clamp down on when the canopy is closed up. I would use some foam tape around the opening between the cap so its water tight. Would sew some rubberized vinyl to fill the opening and add maybe 1 foot of height to the canopy when open. I'll also have to work out some sort of system to get it to stay open (hydraulic struts, and/or maybe some support poles that attach into place in each corner to keep the canopy raised...?). I would put heavy duty latches on the outside of the canopy to latch it shut.

ANY THOUGHTS OR SUGGESTIONS??? Anybody ever attempted something like this?
    My main concerns are: 1) how to make a perfectly level cut all the way around the canopy. 2) What kind of system to use to open and close the cap.

Here are some pics I mocked up in photoshop to show my basic idea...PopTop.jpg inside copy.jpg

2. Aug 18, 2016 at 1:11 PM
    Parmano

Parmano New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Berlin, New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2015 Gray Tacoma TRD
    See if you can find out how they use to do the VW bus camper tops that would pop up??

3. Aug 18, 2016 at 1:14 PM
    ctsnow13

ctsnow13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Magnetic Grey TRD DCSB
    Sub'd.

4. Aug 18, 2016 at 1:17 PM
    el topu

el topu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    SLC, Ut
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Limited CM TRD Off-road
    irish_11 likes this.
  5. Aug 18, 2016 at 1:29 PM
    irish_11

irish_11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB
    Just keep throwin' money at it.
    el topu[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Aug 18, 2016 at 1:32 PM
    BuddyS

BuddyS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport 4x4 MT
    There are also some older sailboats that feature pop top mechanisms like that. Catalina 25s and Rhodes 22s come to mind. If you live anywhere near water and have access to boat dismantlers/parts graveyards, you might be able to find some hardware there.

7. Aug 18, 2016 at 1:33 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Maybe a scissor lift mounted between the cap and bed mounted to the cargo side rails (lift the whole cap up)

8. Aug 18, 2016 at 1:50 PM
    narshkey

narshkey Fabrication Designer

Member:
    CDN
    Vehicle:
    In progress
    In progress... oh boy
    A company in Australia does something like this for local vehicles. Can not find it at the moment.
    My understanding is you will need to reinforce, probably with aluminium, around the opening. A LOT of reinforcing. The down side to using the top part of the canopy is in order to do it right you will have to have it sit up so that water does not go in. In other words the Lip must be higher then the top of the canopy or water will enter the cap. Look at a westfalia for reference but imagine it on the top rather then the edges. A solution to this problem is to have the entire canopy lift at the edges at the top, just like the westfalia. More like your pictures. This will cause its own challenges as it is harder to reinforce. But this way your seam/edge is able to form a 'rain screen' and water does not enter. It would almost be easier to have the truck cap made this way rather than after the fact.

One other solution I have seen is to mount the entire canopy on actuators and it lifts the entire canopy approx 20"-36". You then place tent material between the cap and the bed as a skirt. I believe a manufacturer in the states does this with their caps.
    A.R.E.'s new TopperEZLift
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxhjDQCdGQE

This way you keep the strength of the shell.

Either way a very cool project and one that if done right would have some major benefits over a RTT.

irish_11 likes this.
  9. Aug 18, 2016 at 4:27 PM
    vssman

vssman Rocket Engineer

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Naugatuck, CT
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 double cab
    I like the concept. But I think you might have to use 2 tops to make it leak proof because I would imagine you'd want the pop up part to overhang the lower part.

10. Nov 18, 2017 at 9:45 AM
    Ridgeline2017

Ridgeline2017 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Honda Ridgeline
    Black edition
    Did you ever build this pop top? I have a 2017 Honda Ridgeline and want to do exactly what you thought of. I thought about having an aluminum topper made with modifications to use a solid tonneau cover to make the pop top. I talked to a provider of fibreglass toppers and they couldn’t see the possibility. I guess the sales guy wasn’t a dreamer and had a “can’t do” outlook.

11. Nov 19, 2017 at 6:58 AM
    WhiskeyTaco

WhiskeyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 White Tacoma Access Cab TRD Off Road
    Seen someone modify the roof of bronco to a old westfalia roof on expedition portal. Maybe something similar is possible.

12. Jun 30, 2022 at 4:35 PM
    MegaHurts777

MegaHurts777 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    ID
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off-Road (MT)
    Dang, I think I will have to either covert a shell into that camper setup (where it pops up with soft sides like in the photoshopped example) or take an Undercover SE Tonneau Cover and make something similar.

Not sure what's most practical yet but this can't be that hard to execute?

Anyone try to convert a shell like this before?

Products Discussed in

To Top