1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Custom Toyota Calibrations, Overlander 6.0 & OVTune

Discussion in 'Alabama' started by Boltripper, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Feb 26, 2021 at 6:37 AM
    Boltripper

Boltripper [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Hoover, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off Road Access Cab A/T in MGM
    Khaya Camper with Custom Mods - BP-51's, 4.88's, 33's', Dissent Offroad Front and Rear with Bud Built on the sides...
    2nd Gen and 3rd Gen Tacoma along with 5.7L V8 Tundra Tuning in Birmingham, AL

I'm currently tuning 3rd Gens with VFTuners with Custom Calibrations, Overlander 6.0 & OVTune Base 2.0 Tunes

Also offering TSB Updates to get you to the latest TSB prior to flashing

• 3rd Gen Tacoma with VFTuner PRO

• 2nd Gen Tuning with HPTuners - 2005-2015 Tacoma

• Toyota Tundra 2007-2018 with HPTuners

Some of the features we can calibrate fort you:

• Gear Ratio Changes - 4.88 /5.29
    • Tire Size Adjustments - for better shifting (Not Speedometer related)
    • AGM Battery Support - Changes Alternator output for proper AGM battery Voltage
    • ECT Tow Haul - 6th Gear Lockout for better towing or hauling
    • Rework VVTI
    • Remapping of Throttle Curves
    • Shifting Adjustments / Torque Converter lock and unlock
    • 2nd Gen Maf Calibration for aftermarket intakes
    • ACIS System Rework
    • 2nd Gen Forced Induction
    • 2nd Gen Cam Changes
    • 2nd Gen Rev Hang adjustments

I've tuned LS Motors that I installed in Jeep JK's in the past with both EFI Live and HP Tuners and use best practices with VFTuners doing the TSB Updates.

Thanks - John @ Overland Tailor Tuning

https://overlandtailor.com

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
    Sebs08prerunner likes this.
  2. Feb 26, 2021 at 9:37 AM
    PapaRee

PapaRee Pro Tuner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black TRD Sport, Tuned, BHLM OEM LEDs
    GTS Dobinson's lift-2.75", 33"-Wildpeak Atw3-18x9 -6 Offset ,265/70/18 tires, Raceline Assault wheels, Backflip G2 bed cover, Magnaflow exhaust, Pro tail lights, Pro fog lights, Pro grille, Raptor grille lights, Predator side steps, RedLine Hood Struts, Toyota bedmat, tinted windows, Retrofitted-BHLM-Amber Halo-Amber DRL-HID headlights, LED Highbeams, LED Hood Scoop lightbar, LED hidden bumper lightbar, LED under hood light, LED Bed lights, LED license plate lights, Tacoma tailgate 3d letters, Tacoma glovebox 3D letters, removed air dam, Custom TRD Sport emblems, Pro Shift Knob with Meso ECT Stealth button, Meso LED dome and map lights, Meso V3 smoked mirror turn signals, Meso Stage 2 Tail lights, Meso Mirror Puddle lights, Meso KC-5 Brake/Cargo light, Meso center console bucket with OG lid, Tailgate PNP kit, Garage door opener button in overhead console, Meso Minimalist keyfobs, Matte black Pro hood decal, KTJO4x4 Led door handle LED lights, Pioneer 6x9 3 way front speakers, Rockford Fosgate 6.75' rear speakers, TacoTunes tweeters, AJT black vent rings, JDM Gas cap cover.
    Glad to be working with you John!
    It is a great tune, and there are plenty of great reviews!

3. Mar 3, 2021 at 5:57 PM
    Boltripper

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Hoover, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Khaya Camper with Custom Mods - BP-51's, 4.88's, 33's', Dissent Offroad Front and Rear with Bud Built on the sides...
    Had a few Tacomas in today to get the Kruiser 4.0 along with the latest TSB -

Thanks to Connor and Danny for the support~

IMG_0672.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

PapaRee likes this.
  4. Mar 3, 2021 at 8:15 PM
    PapaRee

PapaRee Pro Tuner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black TRD Sport, Tuned, BHLM OEM LEDs
    GTS Dobinson's lift-2.75", 33"-Wildpeak Atw3-18x9 -6 Offset ,265/70/18 tires, Raceline Assault wheels, Backflip G2 bed cover, Magnaflow exhaust, Pro tail lights, Pro fog lights, Pro grille, Raptor grille lights, Predator side steps, RedLine Hood Struts, Toyota bedmat, tinted windows, Retrofitted-BHLM-Amber Halo-Amber DRL-HID headlights, LED Highbeams, LED Hood Scoop lightbar, LED hidden bumper lightbar, LED under hood light, LED Bed lights, LED license plate lights, Tacoma tailgate 3d letters, Tacoma glovebox 3D letters, removed air dam, Custom TRD Sport emblems, Pro Shift Knob with Meso ECT Stealth button, Meso LED dome and map lights, Meso V3 smoked mirror turn signals, Meso Stage 2 Tail lights, Meso Mirror Puddle lights, Meso KC-5 Brake/Cargo light, Meso center console bucket with OG lid, Tailgate PNP kit, Garage door opener button in overhead console, Meso Minimalist keyfobs, Matte black Pro hood decal, KTJO4x4 Led door handle LED lights, Pioneer 6x9 3 way front speakers, Rockford Fosgate 6.75' rear speakers, TacoTunes tweeters, AJT black vent rings, JDM Gas cap cover.
    Nice!

John,
    I got the 04c30 tune for 2021 Manuals finished tonight. So now that is available.
    All 3rd Generation V6 Tacomas!!!

5. Mar 7, 2021 at 4:53 PM
    Chicken9

Chicken9 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD OffRoad
    3 inch lift, 33 inch tires
    Hey Everyone,

Wanted to leave a review on John (boltripper) after my experience with him tuning my truck. I want to first say that I was very hesitant to let a complete stranger change the factory setting on my truck. However, from the first conversation with John I could tell that he knew what he was doing and was thorough. He explained everything up front with me, told me how the process would go, and how much it would cost. Once He got the info from me, He sent a detailed email with all the information and asked me to double check to make sure it was what I wanted. Upon arrival I could tell I was in good hands. He updated me to the latest TSB from Toyota as well as installed the tune. He had checklists for every step to ensure He was doing it the same way every time. After the TSB and Tune we then went for a test drive and He checked all parameters on my truck during the tune to make sure it was running properly. Everything went great and I am extremely happy with the Kruiser 4.0 Tune. You can tell that John knows what he is doing and isn’t just some guy throwing random tunes at your truck. I definitely give the whole encounter a 5-star review. If you are in Alabama or around the area, He is the guy I would use.

Boltripper[OP] and PapaRee like this.
  6. Mar 8, 2021 at 8:16 AM
    Boltripper

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Hoover, Alabama
    Vehicle:

Connor - Thanks so much for the kind words and I'm thrilled you are loving the tune. Great to meet you guys and happy to help~

Best Regards,

John

PapaRee likes this.
  7. Mar 10, 2021 at 4:49 PM
    cubie

cubie Aznrednek

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonny
    Sweet home Alabama
    Vehicle:
    '06 and '18 TRD OR 4x4 Access Cab
    I'd be willing to be a guinea pig for the folks in the Bama thread! I work in B'ham so I'm not far from you. Would you be able to return the truck back to factory default programming if someone wanted to?

Boltripper[OP] likes this.
  8. Mar 10, 2021 at 5:22 PM
    Boltripper

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Hoover, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Yes sir.. Return to stock is a quick job...

Let me know if you are interested and we can get you scheduled...

john

9. Mar 11, 2021 at 8:56 AM
    Boltripper

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Hoover, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    We don't make any claims to better fuel economy, but in most situations our customers are reporting a nice surprise!

This is on a 2020 TRD Auto with 3" Lift and 33" Tires - He was reporting 14.1mpg prior to the tuning and this was just the following day after the tune.. I tell everyone to run 2 full tanks of gas through to let everything settle as we clear all learned values of the Engine and Trans after doing a tune with TSB update.

If this is his driving style, he should continue to see some improvement.

IMG_0700.jpg

Cheers!

John~

PapaRee likes this.
  10. Mar 12, 2021 at 1:57 PM
    Boltripper

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Hoover, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Had a beautiful 2020 TRD Pro stop by today to chat about the tuning.. Had him take my truck for a spin and before we got out of the driveway he was already smiling and sold on the tune !

He asked me to tune it on the spot... So, if any of you guys or gals are on the fence on the new Kruiser 4.0 Performance tune, come by and take my truck for a ride.

Thanks Jay for your time, trust and support !

Cheers,

john~

HRC4 likes this.
  11. Mar 12, 2021 at 6:21 PM
    Its_me_Jaybird

Its_me_Jaybird Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Birmingham, Al
    Guys if you are in the Southeast and you aren’t going to see John you’re missing out on how your Tacoma should run/drive. I’ve been on the fence about this for a while and I’ve read up on it and even kicked the idea around about buying vftuner and trying it myself. Instead I decided find someone nearby that could do it that knew what they were doing. I made the right choice; John is so detailed and he makes sure it’s right. He explains everything in detail and it’s obvious he knows what he is doing and even let me take his truck for a test drive beforehand. On top of the tune he even used tech stream to “fix” some annoying sounds, LOL. (Door chime, seatbelt chime) Hands down the best mod available for the money.
    @Boltripper thanks for the killer tune!

PapaRee likes this.
  12. Mar 12, 2021 at 8:05 PM
    Boltripper

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Hoover, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Jay,

Thanks for the kind words and happy to get everything sorted for you. Enjoy the Kruiser 4.0 Tune !!

John

13. Mar 13, 2021 at 4:58 PM
    Boltripper

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Hoover, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Had a clean 2020 MGM here today for some Performance Tuning. Bob and his wife drove all the way from Munford, Tennessee to get Kruiser 4.0 Love.

Thanks for the trust and support Bob - Enjoy the new tuning~

IMG_0723.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg
    IMG_0722.jpg

PapaRee likes this.
  14. Mar 14, 2021 at 7:49 AM
    rmreid20

rmreid20 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Western TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD
    I wanted to share my experience in getting my Tacoma tuned by @Boltripper yesterday and the process that led me to deciding on going with him (sorry long post)

I had been reading a lot of posts about tuning on Tacoma World when I cam across a thread about a Kruiser 4.0 Tune that was generating a lot of positive feedback posts and I was fortunate enough to get connected on Tacoma World with Boltripper (John) from Overland Tailor Tuning in Hoover, AL.

I reached out to John and over the course of 2 weeks we communicated back and forth, he walked me through the entire process in fact I have 2 pages of messages where John took the time to answer any and every question that I had as well as asking me questions about my Tacoma in preparation if I decided to tune. He even volunteered his email and mobile number should I want to talk more about the tuning process if I decided to schedule some time and move forward.

I was on the fence about driving 4hrs, but after John’s explanation of what would take place was well thought out and made me feel comfortable that this was a very thorough tuning process for my Tacoma.

When I arrived, John took 15 minutes to discuss every step that would take place (he had a checklist already prepared) from adding a battery tender and why he did that, checking for codes, if I would need a TSB update, he double checked with me on the following; did I tow or haul, was I needing AGM battery support, had I re-geared, as well as checking the general condition of my Tacoma with the diagnostic tool that he had. I knew I had come to the right place to get my Tacoma tuned

The tuning process was relatively quick, and it was now time for the test drive. John explained that he would be accompanying me and would use a bluetooth diagnostic tool to connect to my Tacoma while we took the test drive to monitor key engine parameters to make sure that everything was working as it should after the tune.

The tune? I could immediately notice that tip in was better, acceleration was smoother, and my Tacoma seemed to have a little bit of pep in its step now. My 245-mile return trip home would allow the tune to settle in and allow for my required follow up with John to discuss how my Tacoma ran during the ride home and provide feedback.

The entire process from first contact thru follow up after the tune was first class and professionally done!

Note: That's my 2020 MGM above in the post above by @Boltripper

PapaRee and TWTaco like this.
  15. Mar 15, 2021 at 12:09 AM
    Geoprofjon

Geoprofjon New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off Road DCLB
    Has anyone tried the Kruiser 4.0 tune on a 2021? Supposedly the 2021's come with the shifting update TSB. On the interstate, mileage and gear hunting is horrible. Wondering if I should go standard OV tune or Kruiser 4.0.

16. Mar 15, 2021 at 12:10 AM
    TWTaco

TWTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Definitely go with the Kruiser tune.

17. Mar 15, 2021 at 12:33 AM
    Geoprofjon

Geoprofjon New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off Road DCLB
    I just want to be in 6th gear at 75 mph and cruise comfortably for 5 hours at lower rpm's. Even with slight hills or wind. No constant gear hunting or shift changes.

Boltripper[OP] and PapaRee like this.
  18. Mar 15, 2021 at 5:42 AM
    rmreid20

rmreid20 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Western TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD
    I have a 2020, that already had the transmission update so this might be of some help: This past saturday I got the Kruiser 4.0 update from @Boltripper and I could tell the difference on my 240+ mile drive back home.

19. Mar 15, 2021 at 7:31 AM
    Boltripper

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Hoover, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the question...

As others have said, the Kruiser is a much more refined tune over the Base 2.0 tunes. So many people have commented that have had the performance tune after the 2.0 that the wish they would have just gotten the performance and not had to buy twice.

If you are local, come come drive my truck (2020) and see what I mean.

Best,

john

TWTaco likes this.
  20. Mar 15, 2021 at 1:45 PM
    Boltripper

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Hoover, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Blessed to have another beautiful 2018 Tacoma in for the Kruiser 4.0 Performance Tune and a TSB Upgrade. Truck was on 33's with 5.29 gears and a sharp ICON Suspension.

Thanks again Brett for your trust and support in tuning and calibrating this beautiful truck. I hope you enjoy it !

[​IMG]

Cheers,

John

[​IMG]

Cheers,

John

PapaRee likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top