1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cutoff Height

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by ironman_jon, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Jan 5, 2012 at 11:23 PM
    ironman_jon

ironman_jon [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Sport
    URD TCAI Wicked Flow 18" 2 10in alpine type r 1500 watt amp MB 72 matte black Custom Bumper Debadged Glassworks fenders McNeil bedsides Helix TB Spacer Intake Manifold Spacer Custom Roof Rack 5x 55w HID SK2 projectors 55w DDM 5k Bulbs Camburg Long Travel Fox Coilovers
    I just finished the retro for of my sk2 ap1 projectors on my truck. What is the average cutoff height that u guys with retrofits set at. I've noticed that I'm getting flashed a lot and being that I only have a low beam projector I can't flash back to show I'm on lows. I.put would be nice.

2. Jan 5, 2012 at 11:28 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    Find a place with a wall and level ground, level between the wall and 20 feet back, get some tape and park your truck close to the wall, say a foot, and mark where the top of the projectors are at. Back your truck up as straight as you can for about 20 feet and adjust your high beams so that the cut off is at that taped mark. your shield should come down a few inches under the taped line and be level or slanted with the most left part lower that the furthest right part a slightly less skewed version of this /
    Edit: That's always the way I was told to do it.

3. Jan 6, 2012 at 5:53 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Here's the FSM on how to aim your headlights.

Attached Files:

4. Jan 6, 2012 at 12:25 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    i can't wait to see the pics john!

i'm glad you where able to get the lenses swapped and everything worked out ok. lol i'm going to be asking you questions about these soon enough :)

man those suckers are wide out on the road you going to absolutely love them!

these projectors have to have to best cutoff i have ever seen on top of it all.
    i'm so excited for the pics.

edit: i also think congratulations might be in order as you very well might be one of the only guy's running these little monsters in a tacoma.

5. Jan 6, 2012 at 5:58 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    About 1 inch below the top of the trunk lid on a Crown Vic should do nicely I would think! That's how I used to aim my illegal halogens on a previous truck.

6. Jan 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM
    lonzorizo

lonzorizo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lonnie
    Hoopa, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD OR, 2016 TRD OR Tacoma
    I started at like 2" drop from projector height at 25ft...then drive it a bit to see if it's too high or if I can take it a lil higher. But what do I know lol.

7. Jan 6, 2012 at 6:27 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Really... :facepalm:

8. Jan 6, 2012 at 6:58 PM
    08PRELB

08PRELB Don't Tread On Me

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner LB
    Toy Tech Ultimate Lift kit,Buildt Right UCA's 285/70/17 BFG AT, Camburg Spindles, BHLM, K&N, Flow Master 50, Spider Trax, URD MAF CAL, Satoshi Grill, any time fog mod, 20% tint, Katzkins Leather Interior, FX-R Projector Retro
    Should be a 2.1" to 2.5" drop from height of headlights to hight of cutoff at 25' for DOT standards.

9. Jan 6, 2012 at 7:43 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Couldn't resist.........he should have easy access to one.:D

10. Jan 6, 2012 at 7:43 PM
    GoDeacsWFU23

GoDeacsWFU23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Clemmons, NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner TRD Sport

While your at it why dont you just go ahead and align them perfectly into the rear view mirror of a dodge charger.

11. Jan 6, 2012 at 8:14 PM
    ironman_jon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Sport
    URD TCAI Wicked Flow 18" 2 10in alpine type r 1500 watt amp MB 72 matte black Custom Bumper Debadged Glassworks fenders McNeil bedsides Helix TB Spacer Intake Manifold Spacer Custom Roof Rack 5x 55w HID SK2 projectors 55w DDM 5k Bulbs Camburg Long Travel Fox Coilovers
    Got my cutoff set right however i think i have a hot spot... picture was taken with cell phone with flash on inside the truck on a slope that why they are sitting high.

Hotspot.jpg
    IMAG0513.jpg

12. Jan 6, 2012 at 8:26 PM
    08PRELB

08PRELB Don't Tread On Me

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner LB
    Toy Tech Ultimate Lift kit,Buildt Right UCA's 285/70/17 BFG AT, Camburg Spindles, BHLM, K&N, Flow Master 50, Spider Trax, URD MAF CAL, Satoshi Grill, any time fog mod, 20% tint, Katzkins Leather Interior, FX-R Projector Retro
    I dont see any hot spot... But the color in that cutoff looks amazing nice work!

13. Jan 6, 2012 at 8:34 PM
    ironman_jon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Sport
    Just checking because the passenger side projecter has a super sharp cut off and the driver seems to get blurry as it makes it way towards the passenger side.

As far as the cutoff its really nice i did the clear lense upgrade which made a hell of a difference. I has a blue/purple flicker, already had ppl stop and ask about them.

14. Jan 7, 2012 at 10:04 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    this is why i had recommended you sending them to bjorn at customlightz.com i thought i may be a good idea for him to check them out for you before retrofitting them in your housings.

i don't think anything is wrong with them though it could be a slight variation in the actual shield every projector has slightly different beam pattern no two are the same.

try and get a flat white wall and take shots from different distances 25 feet straight on 50 feet straight on and 15 feet straight on. also have someone or yourself stand in front of one of the projectors and block it so only one shows up do this for both sides. it will help in determining the difference between the two as well. at the moment from what i can see they look nice there is an even amount of color and minus that one tiny little hump they look to be pretty perfect to my eyes at least. i know in pics its hard to fully display whats going on but, i don't believe it to be hot spotting either.

either way enjoy the vid and the link for his stage 2 color mod of the s2k these things are so bad ass its not even funny.
    http://customlightz.com/?p=p_156&sName=s2000-projectors
    http://customlightz.com/?p=p_212&sName=sopheap

his buddy's accord has that crazy cutoff this is what i'm doing in my arb fogs for no doubt.

i'm not sure if i posted this vid for you or not yet but, even at this stage you may find it kinda neat.
    his buddy's accord got a different treatment though i have never seen anything like that shit before in all my time.

15. Jan 13, 2012 at 1:59 PM
    ironman_jon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Sport
    Ive got another pair of housing and im working on another pair of ap1's. I have a couple friends with these that have s2000 and one has stock lights, just havent worked a deal yet. When I do Im going to be sending those to bjorn and having him do everything to them. I wanted to get these put together to see if i was going to be able to deal with just having low beams and I can(Im just being flashed all the time lol) .

With the new ones that Im going ot be putting together im going to do a full black out to include the side marker reflectors. Several people have asked me about them including the manager of the dealership in town. Ive got to admit that these thing do look bad ass and the eyelids that TacomaMan made add that extra touch.

16. Jan 13, 2012 at 7:28 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    yeah man your going to have to adjust them nice. it will help you fire up street signs better and with those bad boy's in there you will literally melt retinas out of peoples faces lol.

jvx and a few other guys have a lot of experience with the s2k projector and i recently found out that certain model years of s2000 the projectors have little differences some guys can tell apart straight off i can't though.

either way yours look crazy intense man if your getting flashed you really need to devote some time to properly adjusting them cause these are some of the most intense projectors ever made hands down.

17. Jan 13, 2012 at 7:34 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    i'm excited to see the other jobs you pulling off with these. these guys are hard to find perfect examples of so if he has a set thats all oem and the bowls look clean and not burnt you should be good to have them color modded and swap the lenses out.

i'm glad you decided to keep these. i thought to myself that if you had sold them and then found out what they and how rare a good set is you would have kicked yourself lol.

they really look great btw you did an excellent job with these bud :)

18. Jan 13, 2012 at 7:40 PM
    toysrgood

toysrgood Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Reg Cab
    A friends Acura TSX has projectors and hers are not aimed at a downward angle, they actually slope upwards from the factory. This is in regards to the 2.5 inches at 25 feet rule of thumb. Is it because it's a car or do they get away With it because it's like that from the factory? Sorry to thread jack, but seemed on topic.

19. Jan 13, 2012 at 9:22 PM
    toon714

toon714 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    toon
    So. Cali to H-town
    Vehicle:
    2010 turbo lowered prerunner
    garret Gt 35R front mount turbo, TR lowering kit, Work wheels, all the go fast goodies!
    oh wow s2k retros!!!!!
    now thats bad ass!
    gonna be doing my ls 460 retros real soon!

20. Jan 13, 2012 at 9:24 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    nice are you doing them yourself?

Products Discussed in